Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 23, 2009, 12:32:43 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on November 23, 2009, 12:27:23 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 23, 2009, 12:22:21 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on November 23, 2009, 12:20:01 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 23, 2009, 12:17:49 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on November 23, 2009, 12:13:38 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 23, 2009, 12:10:45 PM
Disown who?

The Bombs why don't CIRA/RIRA issue a joint statement saying these are not there work and questioning who work it is. Or even demanding the IMC look into it
No idea, maybe they're happy to have the attention and publicity?  Probably gives the impression they're doing something and are a bigger organisation than they actually are.

It would clearly be a massive PR coup to have the Brits found out to be up to this. As normal you pick the facts that suit your agenda and create a complex story when the simpler one doesn't suit you.
And people like you, who think you know it all, would believe dissident republicans over the Brits I suppose?

At least put the claim out there for all to decide upon or ask the IMC to look at it. At them moment we've a  tiny fringe element on here (I've seen this claim no where else) who still want to blame the Brits when Tesco are out of their favour type of jam.

I suppose you think the brits would never be involved in dirty tricks?

Never claimed they weren't and might possibly still be but unlike you I'm no going to make claims based on  hearsay and conjecture.  In fact a claim by the RIRA or CIRA or dirty tricks would be enough for me to look beyond the surface but since they haven't I've no reason to believe this isn't the same bunch  who like shooting pizza men .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

pintsofguinness

Do you think the brits would never be involved in dirty tricks g?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

pintsofguinness

Maguire01

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 23, 2009, 12:02:57 PM
No I suppose the police would never lie  ::)   It makes perfect sense for republicans to plant a massive bomb in the republican area. 
Just like it made perfect sense for republicans to plant a bomb in the middle of Omagh. Logic and sense doesn't come into it.

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 23, 2009, 12:46:48 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8373629.stm
So it was nothing  ::)  ::)
I'd rather a bit of inconvenience on the way to work than dead bodies. Maybe you think it's worth the risk to ignore potential hoaxes?

haranguerer

Gnevin, I understand your scepticism, but if you'd been living here during the troubles, you'd have a much greater understanding where some of these posters are coming from. That the cops/brits lie is indisputable, any time they made a statement during the troubles it was pure bull, so its understandable that people dont believe anything they say now.

As for the activity, I think its highly unlikely that the Brits themselves are at it.
However, I reckon some events are blown out of proportion as part of a hearts and minds offensive agaisnt the dissidents - in general 'viable explosive device' for me translates as firework: if there was something that could cause damge, you can be sure they'd be exaggerating it as much as possible. As for 'horizontal mortar type device'??!

I remember checkpoints used to have a sign along the lines of 'Sorry for the (often hours!) delay, but blame the terrorists, not the security forces': i'd reckon that if they find anything these days the cops deliberately take ages to clear it, knowing that everyones cursing those eejits that planted it as they sit there waiting.

Candyman

Quote from: haranguerer on November 23, 2009, 01:54:13 PM
Gnevin, I understand your scepticism, but if you'd been living here during the troubles, you'd have a much greater understanding where some of these posters are coming from. That the cops/brits lie is indisputable, any time they made a statement during the troubles it was pure bull, so its understandable that people dont believe anything they say now.

As for the activity, I think its highly unlikely that the Brits themselves are at it.
However, I reckon some events are blown out of proportion as part of a hearts and minds offensive agaisnt the dissidents - in general 'viable explosive device' for me translates as firework: if there was something that could cause damge, you can be sure they'd be exaggerating it as much as possible. As for 'horizontal mortar type device'??!

I remember checkpoints used to have a sign along the lines of 'Sorry for the (often hours!) delay, but blame the terrorists, not the security forces': i'd reckon that if they find anything these days the cops deliberately take ages to clear it, knowing that everyones cursing those eejits that planted it as they sit there waiting.

CORRECTO!!!

orangeman

[/b]

A couple of years ago the tactics were altogether different - if there was a bomb threat or something going on, they would hardly even report on it and if they did, they played it down so in their quest to promote a "normal, peaceful" society.

They're fit for anything.

Gnevin

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 23, 2009, 12:42:13 PM
Do you think the brits would never be involved in dirty tricks g?

QuoteI suppose you think the brits would never be involved in dirty tricks?
QuoteNever claimed they weren't and might possibly still be 
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

AFS

Quote from: orangeman on November 23, 2009, 02:00:16 PM

[/b]

A couple of years ago the tactics were altogether different - if there was a bomb threat or something going on, they would hardly even report on it and if they did, they played it down so in their quest to promote a "normal, peaceful" society.

They're fit for anything.

Not just a couple of years ago.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Maguire01 on November 23, 2009, 01:33:01 PM
No I suppose the police would never lie  ::)   It makes perfect sense for republicans to plant a massive bomb in the republican area. 
Just like it made perfect sense for republicans to plant a bomb in the middle of Omagh. Logic and sense doesn't come into it.

I'd rather a bit of inconvenience on the way to work than dead bodies. Maybe you think it's worth the risk to ignore potential hoaxes?

I think if it really takes our security forces 9 or 10 hours to sort out a suspicious object on the Mall in armagh we should be questioning their competency.
I'd also question what this object was and who exactly discovered it at half 3 in the morning! (for those of you who dont know the Mall in armagh is a field!).   
I smell bullshit.

AFS

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 23, 2009, 02:54:57 PM

I think if it really takes our security forces 9 or 10 hours to sort out a suspicious object on the Mall in armagh we should be questioning their competency.
I'd also question what this object was and who exactly discovered it at half 3 in the morning! (for those of you who dont know the Mall in armagh is a field!).   
I smell bullshit.

The mall is also the name for the roads on either side of the field though pints, I'd assume it was along one of these that the 'device' was (or was not) found.

Gnevin

I smell bullshit.

God your right its out in the ass hole of now where. It's highly unlikely someone was walking from the station bar or too Charlemont Arms. I mean they at least a 3 minute walk!

pintsofguinness

Quote from: AFS on November 23, 2009, 03:07:50 PM

I smell bullshit.

The mall is also the name for the roads on either side of the field though pints, I'd assume it was along one of these that the 'device' was (or was not) found.
ah right, maybe so.

AFS

Quote from: Gnevin on November 23, 2009, 03:09:20 PM

I smell bullshit.

God your right its out in the ass hole of now where. It's highly unlikely someone was walking from the station bar or too Charlemont Arms. I mean they at least a 3 minute walk!

Google maps is a great job.

sammymaguire

Quote from: AFS on November 23, 2009, 03:07:50 PM

I smell bullshit.

they were sitting around outside the education buildings on the east side of the mall having a smoke break at 10am. Much ado about nothing
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!