The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on June 06, 2019, 09:33:13 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 02, 2019, 11:20:59 AM
https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby/pro14/leinster-rugby-double-probe-academy-player-hospitalised-and-member-of-public-urinated-on-following-pro14-win-38171141.html

Can you imagine the public (and GAAboard from certain posters) fury and condemnation if it was a bunch if "Gah thugs".
Shane Ross would be threatening to stop all funding etc etc

Not much talk of the ex Leinster Legend allegedly knocking seven bells out of an academy player.

If true the Guards should be looking into that rather than the IRFU.

Oh, no charges were pressed. That's alright then.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/se%C3%A1n-o-brien-sanctioned-for-dublin-pub-incident-1.3936040

1. An internal IRFU investigation into O'Brien's actions on May 26th.
"The IRFU have investigated an incident of inappropriate behaviour by a player which occurred on 26th May 2019 (Sunday night)," read an IRFU statement. "The player has expressed his deep regret and has been sanctioned in line with the provisions of his contract."

2.London Irish recently lost a 27-year sponsorship arrangement with Guinness after Diageo, the parent company, objected to the signing another Ireland international Paddy Jackson.

3. Leinster stated on June 5th that a separate investigation into an assault by former player Stanley Wright (40) on a Leinster academy player, at a private team function in the early hours of May 26th in the Intercontinental hotel, has concluded to the "satisfaction of all parties." The academy player (20) was knocked unconscious by a punch from Wright. He was hospitalised but Leinster stated that he "has made a full recovery." The player did not to press charges.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

GetOverTheBar

What do you want them to do, one is an ex player. The other one is essentially an ex player with next move already confirmed.

Not great news or PR, but hardly Leinsters problem either.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: seafoid on June 25, 2019, 11:14:54 AM
https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby/pro14/leinster-rugby-double-probe-academy-player-hospitalised-and-member-of-public-urinated-on-following-pro14-win-38171141.html

Can you imagine the public (and GAAboard from certain posters) fury and condemnation if it was a bunch if "Gah thugs".

Not much talk of the ex Leinster Legend allegedly knocking seven bells out of an academy player.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/se%C3%A1n-o-brien-sanctioned-for-dublin-pub-incident-1.3936040

"The IRFU have investigated an incident of inappropriate behaviour by a player which occurred on 26th May 2019 (Sunday night)," read an IRFU statement. "The player has expressed his deep regret and has been sanctioned in line with the provisions of his contract."

2.London Irish recently lost a 27-year sponsorship arrangement with Guinness after Diageo, the parent company, objected to the signing another Ireland international Paddy Jackson.

3. Leinster stated on June 5th that a separate investigation into an assault by former player Stanley Wright (40) on a Leinster academy player, at a private team function in the early hours of May 26th in the Intercontinental hotel, has concluded to the "satisfaction of all parties." The academy player (20) was knocked unconscious by a punch from Wright. He was hospitalised but Leinster stated that he "has made a full recovery." The player did not to press charges.
Not sure of the relevance of #2 to #1 and #3.

Hound

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 25, 2019, 11:46:25 AM

Well Guinness sponsor Ireland, but they'll hardly pull sponsorship because someone acted despicably due to drink!
Seanie will never wear the green jersey again anyway.

Apparently it wasn't deliberate as I had assumed it was. He was simply blind drunk and had no idea where he was. Has a reputation of being more susceptible to drink that his rugger bugger mates and has disrobed before in public places due to drink. You'd think his "mates" might have looked after him before he got himself into trouble. I'm sure the victim has got a nice few quid not to press charges. Certainly tarnishes Seanie's reputation

Owen Brannigan

It looks like the old band is reforming in Ireland by stealth.

Farrell has been the Irish defence coach and will be Ireland manager after the World Cup, Lancaster is already with Leinster, Rowntree will join Munster for the new season and now Catt will join Ireland later this year.

IRFU has brought the previous English coaching team to Ireland.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Hound on June 25, 2019, 04:24:55 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 25, 2019, 11:46:25 AM

Well Guinness sponsor Ireland, but they'll hardly pull sponsorship because someone acted despicably due to drink!
Seanie will never wear the green jersey again anyway.

Apparently it wasn't deliberate as I had assumed it was. He was simply blind drunk and had no idea where he was. Has a reputation of being more susceptible to drink that his rugger bugger mates and has disrobed before in public places due to drink. You'd think his "mates" might have looked after him before he got himself into trouble. I'm sure the victim has got a nice few quid not to press charges. Certainly tarnishes Seanie's reputation

Well now, if it's not within their values...

passedit

Anybody travelling?

Waiting on delivery of two tickets for the group stages Got this today by email and text

Your DHL Express ​shipment with waybill number ******** from PIA CORPORATION C/O RUGBY WORLD CUP 2019 OC is arriving in the country and will require customs clearance. There is import duty/tax due on your shipment. The amount is £ 16.84.

Click here to securely pay online, view the duty/tax calculation and download the relevant documents to avoid any impact on delivery.

Initially thought scam now not so sure. anybody else get this?
Don't Panic

screenexile

Fully expected John Cooney to be on the plane I think he's a better player than Luke McGrath and can cover Out half. . . seems strange!!

johnnycool

Quote from: screenexile on August 14, 2019, 02:34:39 PM
Fully expected John Cooney to be on the plane I think he's a better player than Luke McGrath and can cover Out half. . . seems strange!!

Is Carbery more important than Sexton at this stage.

Beirne needs to be on the plane as well. Offers something different.

Owen Brannigan

In addition he can kick points with considerable accuracy. Important versatility when the regular 10s are showing tendencies to be easily injured.

So far, Cooney, Bealham, Haley, Scannell and Dillane have been told they are not good enough.

square_ball

For me he'd be slightly behind McGrath ability wise but theres not much between them. I thought having that kicking ability would have edged him ahead of McGrath in the final squad. In saying that if Murray gets injured the gap between him and the rest is huge.

screenexile

Quote from: square_ball on August 14, 2019, 03:27:33 PM

For me he'd be slightly behind McGrath ability wise but theres not much between them. I thought having that kicking ability would have edged him ahead of McGrath in the final squad. In saying that if Murray gets injured the gap between him and the rest is huge.

Given how poorly McGrath played when the pressure was on against Saracens I found it strange he's still so high up the pecking order.

I'm no expert I suppose and maybe they're seeing something we're not day in day out but the range of positions Cooney can play and his kicking would have him ahead of McGrath and possibly Marmion as well.

square_ball

McGrath was generally very good for Leinster last season though. That kick in the final was an error but hard to know if he was playing to orders. He has played in much more pressurised games than Cooney (and Marmion) so maybe that tipped it in his favour. And also I find that as Cooney is a kicker it masks a lot of things. If he comes off the pitch scoring 20 points people assume he's had a great game. I suppose that's why Schmidt is paid the big bucks to make those decisions.

dublin7

Quote from: square_ball on August 14, 2019, 05:28:13 PM
McGrath was generally very good for Leinster last season though. That kick in the final was an error but hard to know if he was playing to orders. He has played in much more pressurised games than Cooney (and Marmion) so maybe that tipped it in his favour. And also I find that as Cooney is a kicker it masks a lot of things. If he comes off the pitch scoring 20 points people assume he's had a great game. I suppose that's why Schmidt is paid the big bucks to make those decisions.

Not kicking to touch against Saracens was a joint decision. It's quite common for Leinster to do this. The follwing against Munster the same situation arose and they didn't kick to touch either and this time they won a penalty which they converted.

I'm also surprised Cooney was dropped as he can also cover No. 10, especially with Carbery now due to miss all the warm up games and training

Walter Cronc

McGrath also kicked the ball away against the All Blacks last November with 90 seconds on the clock. Near causing heart failure in the Aviva.

I think he's prone to regular brain farts and hope he doesn't make the 31. Can we speed up the development of Craig Casey please. Like a young Aaron Smith.