Mayo v Galway, MacHale Park, Sunday 13th May 4pm

Started by From the Bunker, April 01, 2018, 08:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayoman dan

Quote from: seafoid on April 19, 2018, 09:06:42 PM
What do Mayo fans think of Rochford? Could anyone else have squeezed more out of the team?
Whenever they do leave the scene it will feel strange. They have been on the go for most of this decade.

I like him and am happy enough with him as our manager.Tactically very good and not afraid to try something new.Obviously swapping goalkeepers for the replay final was a disaster but i felt he made up for it last year.We were 7/1 with some bookies the week of the final and we came damn close to winning the bloody thing.The only gripe i have with him is some of his substitutions are questionable.Bringing on fellas with 2 minutes to go is a waste of time and bringing on backs when were chasing a game drives me up the wall.Overall id give him an 8 out of 10.Deliver Sam and il give him whatever he wants ;D

Orchard park

Quote from: mayoman dan on April 19, 2018, 10:29:39 PM
What do Mayo fans think of Rochford? Could anyone else have squeezed more out of the team?
Whenever they do leave the scene it will feel strange. They have been on the go for most of this decade.

I like him and am happy enough with him as our manager.Tactically very good and not afraid to try something new.Obviously swapping goalkeepers for the replay final was a disaster but i felt he made up for it last year.We were 7/1 with some bookies the week of the final and we came damn close to winning the bloody thing.The only gripe i have with him is some of his substitutions are questionable.Bringing on fellas with 2 minutes to go is a waste of time and bringing on backs when were chasing a game drives me up the wall.Overall id give him an 8 out of 10.Deliver Sam and il give him whatever he wants ;D

what would you have given Holmes / Connolly and also Horan

rosnarun

only problem I have with him is he is completely shit or burst as a manager and a generation of v talented playr could well be lost because of him.
he has always gone for the tried and trusted player on the panel even if he doesn't trust them enough to play them . barry moran being the biggest case in point. he has not played more than a few minute for years  but is still retained while the like of brian regan and liam Irwin are culled from the panel .
shane nally  looked like  he falling into this bracket even though looks good when ever he get one and never mind davi drakes celebrity appearance for the last 5 minute  of so many games. though he has his first right good game for mayo this year against Donegal.
mayo could live to regret this esp if we don't win sam soon
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Farrandeelin

To be fair we rode our luck through the backdoor last year. I don't think many were singing his praises pre Roscommon replay last year. Whether we get as lucky pre super 8s this year is another thing. Especially since Keegan is out until mid to late June at the earliest (what I heard) if we lose to Galway.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

seafoid

Being a sports fan is about emotion most of all. And there is something about this Mayo team that lost 3 finals by a point to the Dubs machine that goes way beyond the usual sports experience, even for non Mayo people.

Sid said it a while ago
"It might not feel like it to a Mayo person but there has to be something, as you say, almost spiritual about following a team like that. It's something bigger than just following a team, and as a Dublin supporter, I almost envy Mayo supporters."

Joe Dolan had a hit in 1981 with More and More
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkLC2mj5wvE

Time and time again
I try to find you
Til the very end
I won't turn back
Down every road I travel on and on and on
Reaching out my hand
I try to touch, I try to feel
But you're not there
No you're not real
Still I believe
That you'll be mine

Galway hurlers had a similar story to Mayo for a long time but the paths diverged last September.
Hopefully Mayo can give it a right lash this year and finish the job. In any case they have brought great honour to the county no matter what happens .

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Rossfan

Indeed look what happened to ye :D
1986 to 2001 went mad winning things-now a poor Intermediate team at best.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Tubberman

Quote from: Jinxy on April 20, 2018, 12:52:09 PM
Success would ruin Mayo.

The quest is our raison d'être.
We'd be completely without purpose if everyone lost to us, if we were the ones saying "if there was one team i'd love to see win it, it's yourselves..." to the vanquished outside Philly Ryans, if we had no kick-in-the-balls defeat to mourn over the winter, if we had no pr*cks of neighbours with smart alec remarks despite them tamely losing in July. It's just the way things are, people have been born and reared into that way of life - would be a terrible shock if the world flipped like that.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Cunny Funt

Quote from: rosnarun on April 20, 2018, 10:15:44 AM

only problem I have with him is he is completely shit or burst as a manager and a generation of v talented playr could well be lost because of him.
he has always gone for the tried and trusted player on the panel even if he doesn't trust them enough to play them . barry moran being the biggest case in point. he has not played more than a few minute for years  but is still retained while the like of brian regan and liam Irwin are culled from the panel .
shane nally  looked like  he falling into this bracket even though looks good when ever he get one and never mind davi drakes celebrity appearance for the last 5 minute  of so many games. though he has his first right good game for mayo this year against Donegal.

tried and trusted players remain Mayos best players by some distance and you only have to look at NFL games to see how vulnerable Mayo are without a few of those tried and trusted players. Safe and sensible management by Rochford it would be daft throwing in lads that would make the team weaker for a championship game.

rosnarun

Quote from: Cunny Funt on April 20, 2018, 02:37:07 PM

tried and trusted players remain Mayos best players by some distance and you only have to look at NFL games to see how vulnerable Mayo are without a few of those tried and trusted players. Safe and sensible management by Rochford it would be daft throwing in lads that would make the team weaker for a championship game.

it only seems like that because no one else is given a proper chance
the 1st 18 or so are tope class to be sure but after that things are not quiet as good.
Mayo are squeezing as much as they can out of some of these guys on a last chance salon basis for about 3 years now.
there is loads of young talent but Rochford is not willing to trust it.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Blowitupref

Quote from: rosnarun on April 20, 2018, 04:49:27 PM

the 1st 18 or so are tope class to be sure but after that things are not quiet as good.
Mayo are squeezing as much as they can out of some of these guys on a last chance salon basis for about 3 years now.

Quote from: rosnarun on April 20, 2018, 04:49:27 PM

In last 3 years most of the best underage players for Mayo have been given their chance for what i see Coen,Harrsion,O Donoghue,Durcan,Loftus etc. Young talent is one thing but young talent that are good enough to perform at the business end of the championship is another thing altogether.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

cornetto

Bad news for Galway on the brannigan front,looks like a six week lay off which would have him back end of may,ligaments which are a fecker to heal.A very big loss the amount of ground he covers surreal,m.daly might get a couple of scores but as regards defending and tracking back not a patch on brannigan.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: cornetto on April 21, 2018, 07:00:13 PM
Bad news for Galway on the brannigan front,looks like a six week lay off which would have him back end of may,ligaments which are a fecker to heal.A very big loss the amount of ground he covers surreal,m.daly might get a couple of scores but as regards defending and tracking back not a patch on brannigan.

That's what I heard myself this weekend. A very big loss especially given the way Galway set-up. Brannigan carries a lot of ball between the lines and always seems to give Boyle an awful hard time of it. After Comer probably the one forward, Kevin Walsh didn't want to lose.

Keegan gone is balanced out by no Silke or Brannigan. Not even counting COC. He'll play 100%.

twohands!!!

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 22, 2018, 02:35:08 AM
Quote from: cornetto on April 21, 2018, 07:00:13 PM

That's what I heard myself this weekend. A very big loss especially given the way Galway set-up. Brannigan carries a lot of ball between the lines and always seems to give Boyle an awful hard time of it. After Comer probably the one forward, Kevin Walsh didn't want to lose.

Keegan gone is balanced out by no Silke or Brannigan. Not even counting COC. He'll play 100%.

Dont Foul posted some stats during the week on all the televised Division 1 games in the league.

Brannigan was in flying form for Galway in the league based on the shooting stats.
That's before you even start talking about the amount of work he gets through on the pitch.
If he's missing he will be a very big loss for Galway.