Mayo v Galway, MacHale Park, Sunday 13th May 4pm

Started by From the Bunker, April 01, 2018, 08:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Quote from: Orchard park on April 18, 2018, 01:32:14 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on April 18, 2018, 01:10:20 PM
Quote from: Orchard park on April 18, 2018, 12:43:13 PM
I can claim no credit for the substitutions in Tuam either............
Remind me?

Gerry Keane replaced by Jason Neary, i think it was 40 seconds he lasted before being sent off
Of course..... must be a record for shortest ever Inter  County Championship game time.
Seànie J must hold the club one :D ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

galwayman

Quote from: Orchard park on April 18, 2018, 02:05:46 PM
He quit because he was working his hole off as a partner in a legal firm as well as trying to be married and play intercounty........ the intercounty way the easiest of those 3 to give up esp when one has the big medal won.

But you are right he has gone on record as to being somewhat underwhelmed by the win
Any links to quotes to that effect?
May have missed it - just don't remember reading that at the time.
I would disagree with the posts that have labeled Finnegan as average.
He was coming to the end of his career in 98 but had a good year from play as well as frees.
Albeit I was a young lad in school I would have been at most Galway games in the nineties and he was outstanding in the early to mid 90s.
He moved to Dublin and commuted for a good number of years.
Retired after 99 I think

Tubberman

Quote from: galwayman on April 18, 2018, 03:19:46 PM
He quit because he was working his hole off as a partner in a legal firm as well as trying to be married and play intercounty........ the intercounty way the easiest of those 3 to give up esp when one has the big medal won.

But you are right he has gone on record as to being somewhat underwhelmed by the win
He was coming to the end of his career in 98 but had a good year from play as well as frees.
Albeit I was a young lad in school I would have been at most Galway games in the nineties and he was outstanding in the early to mid 90s.
Retired after 99 I think

Found this, not sure if that's the one I read it from first. In fairness, there's a lot more context and balance (as Orchard Park outlined above) but the bit below is what I think I remember reading at the time!

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/finnegan-having-a-ball-on-civvy-street-26250380.html

Last Summer in an interview in The Irish Times, Finnegan was asked about the difference winning an All-Ireland title had made. "Before you win, it's a mythical thing" he said. "Afterwards you realise that it's another medal won. Doesn't change your life. You don't get out of bed thinking, wow. Life moves on."

The difference, however, came at the end. Being able to walk away without having to wonder about what might have been. "Maybe, if I hadn't achieved success in '98, I might have given it one more year, but there comes a time when you have to cut the ties and move on."
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Orchard park

For Roscommon the biggest scandal internally was that neither Luke Dolan or Conor Connelly were part of the panel. with either we would have beaten Galway I am quite sure. But Gay and Tony can have that on their football consciences..........

galwayman

Quote from: Tubberman on April 18, 2018, 03:35:38 PM

Retired after 99 I think

Found this, not sure if that's the one I read it from first. In fairness, there's a lot more context and balance (as Orchard Park outlined above) but the bit below is what I think I remember reading at the time!

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/finnegan-having-a-ball-on-civvy-street-26250380.html

Last Summer in an interview in The Irish Times, Finnegan was asked about the difference winning an All-Ireland title had made. "Before you win, it's a mythical thing" he said. "Afterwards you realise that it's another medal won. Doesn't change your life. You don't get out of bed thinking, wow. Life moves on."

The difference, however, came at the end. Being able to walk away without having to wonder about what might have been. "Maybe, if I hadn't achieved success in '98, I might have given it one more year, but there comes a time when you have to cut the ties and move on."
Thanks I actually remember reading that article in the Sunday Indo on the morning of the Derry semi final in 2001 on the way back from a holiday in Portugal.
Strange the things you remember.
In fairness it doesn't at all say that he didn't enjoy it as much as he expected or that he was underwhelmed by it in any way.
I read from that article a guy who has done his time and happy to have his normal life back post football.
Anyhow - still over 3 weeks to go to this one.
A slow aul build up

Manning18

Quote from: galwayman on April 18, 2018, 04:44:27 PM

Retired after 99 I think

Thanks I actually remember reading that article in the Sunday Indo on the morning of the Derry semi final in 2001 on the way back from a holiday in Portugal.
In fairness it doesn't at all say that he didn't enjoy it as much as he expected or that he was underwhelmed by it in any way.
I read from that article a guy who has done his time and happy to have his normal life back post football.
A slow aul build up

Funny, exact same day we were lucky enough to get a few premium seats and met Finnegan looking out the glass at the celebrations after full time, can't remembering him seeming too upset although we were fawning all over him.

Manning18

Quote from: Orchard park on April 18, 2018, 12:15:31 PM
Quote from: Manning18 on April 18, 2018, 11:08:29 AM
Quote from: Orchard park on April 17, 2018, 09:18:44 PM
Finnegan was a good freetaker but from play was only a fraction better than shay Walsh .

That Galway team had some fine players but some extremely weak by any standard

This is nonsense. When Ja was injured in 96/97 and a few had yet to come along, Finnegan was the main man in the forward line. He scored 9 points (4 from play i think) against Mayo in 97 and was the only real threat in the forward line. Scored two terrific points from play in the 98 (frustratingly never shown on the replays). During the Connacht campaign id say he was the second most important forward behind Ja, with perhaps Donnellan passing him out once in Croke Park. He was more influential than Joyce that season though and far ahead of Savage, with that pair obviously passing him out fairly quickly in subsequent years.

I worked with Roscommon on opposition team analysis in 98 and perhaps it was down to my personal views partly but the players we primarily focused on in this order as being the main areas of concern for us were Ja, Mikeen Donellan, Tomas Mannion, Kevin Walsh, Sean Og, Savage and P Joyce who at that time was viewed by a lot inside and outside galway as a college superstar but not up to senior. There was very little focus on Niall Finnegan a little bit more than on Tommy Joyce but not much......... Silke O'Domhnaill, McNamara and Divilly were where we saw maximum damage could be inflicted, we knew we had the most underrated and  reliable freetaker in the country at the time and the plan was draw fouls from Divilly and Silke when we turned them or else quick ball to Dineen at full forward who we felt could break even with a very good full back in Gary Fahy

galway did Connacht proud in 1998 and really pushed on from playing us, we never could have won an all-ireland that year but to the grave I wont forgive that lowlife Prior for tuam 98 and not giving a free to Dowdie which would have put us 2 up and handing Niall F a chance to equalise straight away.

both games were 0-11 each after 70 mins so i would think we had done a pretty good job on holding a serious forward line quiet

In hindsight that worked to a tee, definitely the 4 weak links hit there and Roscommon lived off Lohan's frees in both games albiet were obviously unlucky day 1 ref wise. Galway played really well in that replay though, all but one from play, the sole problem being they kicked 20 wides. That's what clicked later on

galwayman

Quote from: Manning18 on April 18, 2018, 04:58:32 PM
Quote from: Orchard park on April 18, 2018, 12:15:31 PM
Finnegan was a good freetaker but from play was only a fraction better than shay Walsh .

This is nonsense. When Ja was injured in 96/97 and a few had yet to come along, Finnegan was the main man in the forward line. He scored 9 points (4 from play i think) against Mayo in 97 and was the only real threat in the forward line. Scored two terrific points from play in the 98 (frustratingly never shown on the replays). During the Connacht campaign id say he was the second most important forward behind Ja, with perhaps Donnellan passing him out once in Croke Park. He was more influential than Joyce that season though and far ahead of Savage, with that pair obviously passing him out fairly quickly in subsequent years.

I worked with Roscommon on opposition team analysis in 98 and perhaps it was down to my personal views partly but the players we primarily focused on in this order as being the main areas of concern for us were Ja, Mikeen Donellan, Tomas Mannion, Kevin Walsh, Sean Og, Savage and P Joyce who at that time was viewed by a lot inside and outside galway as a college superstar but not up to senior. There was very little focus on Niall Finnegan a little bit more than on Tommy Joyce but not much......... Silke O'Domhnaill, McNamara and Divilly were where we saw maximum damage could be inflicted, we knew we had the most underrated and  reliable freetaker in the country at the time and the plan was draw fouls from Divilly and Silke when we turned them or else quick ball to Dineen at full forward who we felt could break even with a very good full back in Gary Fahy

galway did Connacht proud in 1998 and really pushed on from playing us, we never could have won an all-ireland that year but to the grave I wont forgive that lowlife Prior for tuam 98 and not giving a free to Dowdie which would have put us 2 up and handing Niall F a chance to equalise straight away.

both games were 0-11 each after 70 mins so i would think we had done a pretty good job on holding a serious forward line quiet

In hindsight that worked to a tee, definitely the 4 weak links hit there and Roscommon lived off Lohan's frees in both games albiet were obviously unlucky day 1 ref wise. Galway played really well in that replay though, all but one from play, the sole problem being they kicked 20 wides. That's what clicked later on
Silke O Domhnaill & Divilly certainly could be targeted without a shadow of a doubt.
I always felt Martin Mac was an underrated keeper though.
Against Mayo in 1997 some of his attempted short kick outs went astray and this was a bad day at the office for him. I felt personally that this one game clouded a lot of people's judgements on him after that.

galwayman

Time to bring it back to topic I guess - any word on how serious Brannigans injury is?

Orchard park

17 wides in Tuam also but a lot were under pressure and at time P Joyce hadnt the composure developed for intercounty freetaking either......Lohan that year was the most composed freetaker imaginable but our genius of a manager felt everything had to go through Eddie, esp the replay and one thing about Eddie he wasnt was anyways decisive or fast so we lost a lot of threat.........

When O'Domhnaill scored from under the cusack vs Derry in the semi I decided galway would win the all ireland

I got dumped by the manager for my troubles as i was too "player friendly and listened to players opinions too much" and gays managerial careeer spiralled in one way only afterwards also ( not claiming the credit for that by the way)

seafoid

Quote from: galwayman on April 18, 2018, 04:44:27 PM

Retired after 99 I think

A slow aul build up
Joe Brolly said the same about winning Sam
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

A bit of poetry and stuff

Going Home to Mayo, Winter, 1949 (a poem by Paul Durcan)

Leaving behind us the alien, foreign city of Dublin
My father drove us through the night in an old Ford Anglia,
His five-year-old son in the seat beside him,
The rexine seat of red leatherette,
And a yellow moon peered in through the windscreen.
'Daddy, Daddy,' I cried, 'Pass out the moon,'
But no matter how hard he drove he could not pass out the moon.
Each town we passed through was another milestone
And their names were magic passwords into eternity:
Kilcock, Kinnegad, Strokestown, Elphin,
Tarmonbarry, Tulsk, Ballaghedereen, Ballyvarry;
Now we were in Mayo and the next stop was Turlough,
The village of Turlough in the heartland of Mayo,
And my father's mother's house, all oil-lamps and women,
And my bedroom over the public bar below,
And in the morning cattle-cries and c**k-crows:
Life's seemingly seamless garment gorgeously rent
By their screeches and bellowings. And in the evenings
I walked with my father in the high grass down by the river
Talking with him – an unheard-of thing in the city.
But home was not home and the moon could be no more outflanked
Than the daylight nightmare of Dublin city:
Back down along the canal we chugged into the city
And each lock-gate tolled our mutual doom;
And railings and palings and asphalt and traffic lights,
And blocks after blocks of so-called 'new' tenements –
Thousands of crosses of loneliness planted
In the narrowing grave of the life of the father;
In the wide, wide cemetery of the boy's childhood

"Our song, Moonlight in Mayo, was taking on a new meaning. And it was not long until we knew we were in Mayo. Along the line were cocks of hay that were saturated in paraffin. As the train sped by, the hay was set ablaze and proud farmers and supporters held their beacons aloft as the train sped on into the night. At Ballyhaunis, fog signals exploded and as the train came to a halt eager and frenzied supporters ran down the platform with blazing torches and hoisted the cup aloft." – John Healy, The March Triumphal, the Western People. September, 1950.

mrhardyannual

Quote from: Jinxy on April 18, 2018, 01:51:18 PM

Always rated Finnegan, even though he was half a Dub.  ;)
Finnegan was the grandson of Seamus O Malley, Mayo's first All Ireland winning captain.

seafoid

Quote from: Orchard park on April 18, 2018, 05:06:47 PM
17 wides in Tuam also but a lot were under pressure and at time P Joyce hadnt the composure developed for intercounty freetaking either......Lohan that year was the most composed freetaker imaginable but our genius of a manager felt everything had to go through Eddie, esp the replay and one thing about Eddie he wasnt was anyways decisive or fast so we lost a lot of threat.........

When O'Domhnaill scored from under the cusack vs Derry in the semi I decided galway would win the all ireland

I got dumped by the manager for my troubles as i was too "player friendly and listened to players opinions too much" and gays managerial careeer spiralled in one way only afterwards also ( not claiming the credit for that by the way)

Ros had the makings of a good team in those years but it was Galway who kicked on and sucked up all the oxygen. I suppose O Mahony was a better manager .
But there was a lot of luck too. And there was a fragility about Galway in 98 that the all Ireland does tend to gloss over.
Also you did need very high standards in Connacht to bring Sam back thar Sionna. If the 3 counties were all shite nothing would happen.

cornetto

Quote from: galwayman on April 18, 2018, 05:04:33 PM
Time to bring it back to topic I guess - any word on how serious Brannigans injury is?
Not going to speculate how bad an injury it is,but it has kept him away from his place of work.Hopefully nothing too serious.