Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bamboo

Good running ML, keep her lit.

I've done 4 x 10k's over the last few weeks, 1:07:27, 1:06:03, 1:05:22 and todays was 1hr and 36 secs so i'm almost at the 1hr mark. Signed up for a 10k organised run/race with a few mates in early march so hoping to shave a few mins of the time before that comes around.

Done my 2nd 5k parkrun in the snow covered grounds of Wimbledon common on Sat and took 90 secs of my previous week, done it in 27m:29s, pos 147/213. Despite the snow, it was a better surface to run on than the previous weeks mud.

Still getting a stitch on a regular basis, more so in the 5k's than the 10k's. Probably as i'm pushing myself that bit harder. ran a slow 1k and did plenty of stretching before the 5k but still got it, between the 2k and 3k mark, then it disappeared. Annoying as it definatly slows me down and is costing me time.

Orior

Keep her lit too bambo.

A stitch could be down to fitness, but I always found it was down to the fact that I hadnt fasted for long enough. Do you still get a stich if you run first thing in the morning before breakfast?

Of course everyone is different.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

bamboo

Cheers Orior,

Ran the first parkrun with no breakfast and ran the 2nd one with small breakfast 90mins before so can't blame either fasting or feasting!

Got no stich nor did i feel like i needed a drink during my 1st few 10ks as i was going at a slighter slower pace i guess but had a stitch and needed a sip during the run today. When i say a sip i literally mean a sip, barely a mouthful.

Can't remember having any issues when i started out running back in the summer so i'm assuming it's down to the fact that i'm doing  a lot more now and pushing myself that bit harder. Who knows??

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on January 22, 2013, 06:11:20 PM
Quote from: Bingo on January 21, 2013, 03:07:00 PM
On any kind of uneven, hilly, muddy, slushy, dirty trails or surfaces I wear a pair of Aiscs Trail shoes/runners - sole is hard but soft enough to run it. They great in this weather and I used them at weekend. Never failed with them.

Am off the running this week, damaged muscles behind my shin last week, doing a 10 miler, hurts like f**k....went to the physio this morning, just a strain but it needs a weeks rest, i went to a a major sports chain last week and they did a "video analysis" of my run, they recommended a pair of runners with Arch support...... The physio told me i don't need arch support and the runners recommended were totally wrong for my feet. She claimed that a lot of sports shops are changing peoples footwear based on a video....... bringing back the shoes tomorrow and getting a different pair..........God help the "running expert" if she is there tomorrow, lesson learned by me...........

So i want back to the runner store again yesterday, was met with a very sceptical "running expert", no way would we have given you the wrong runners blah, blah...... got the manager involved and it turned out the my running gait was assessed first time around, by  girl who works on Saturday and was not qualified to give any advice, they did another assessment in-store yesterday and it turned out i do not require any correction what so ever, my gain is spot on  >:(............ then everyone was all apologies, this never happened before etc.,
Long and short of it, the high arch support in the shoe, kept slightly twisting my ankle out as i ran and has resulted in a  tear of a muscle along the outside of my shin........... more physio required and a long lay-off.................am raging............ the manager told me to take it up with customer service at HQ and demand a full refund on physio costs etc...............

Damn right they will be hearing from me!

Bingo

Thats very disappointing An Gaeilgoir, no way should she have been giving advice.

I got great service in elverys when i went in. I was having problems at the time, more so after running that during it. She identified the problem and a pair of shoes to held the problem, haven't had the same issue since, great support in the shoes I use and Gel support.

I'd feel the difference when I run in my trail runners, a far flater shoe with no gel support.

Fair play Bamboo, keep her lit and you'll be flying in the races in no time.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on January 24, 2013, 12:14:39 PM
Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on January 22, 2013, 06:11:20 PM
Quote from: Bingo on January 21, 2013, 03:07:00 PM
On any kind of uneven, hilly, muddy, slushy, dirty trails or surfaces I wear a pair of Aiscs Trail shoes/runners - sole is hard but soft enough to run it. They great in this weather and I used them at weekend. Never failed with them.

Am off the running this week, damaged muscles behind my shin last week, doing a 10 miler, hurts like f**k....went to the physio this morning, just a strain but it needs a weeks rest, i went to a a major sports chain last week and they did a "video analysis" of my run, they recommended a pair of runners with Arch support...... The physio told me i don't need arch support and the runners recommended were totally wrong for my feet. She claimed that a lot of sports shops are changing peoples footwear based on a video....... bringing back the shoes tomorrow and getting a different pair..........God help the "running expert" if she is there tomorrow, lesson learned by me...........

So i want back to the runner store again yesterday, was met with a very sceptical "running expert", no way would we have given you the wrong runners blah, blah...... got the manager involved and it turned out the my running gait was assessed first time around, by  girl who works on Saturday and was not qualified to give any advice, they did another assessment in-store yesterday and it turned out i do not require any correction what so ever, my gain is spot on  >:(............ then everyone was all apologies, this never happened before etc.,
Long and short of it, the high arch support in the shoe, kept slightly twisting my ankle out as i ran and has resulted in a  tear of a muscle along the outside of my shin........... more physio required and a long lay-off.................am raging............ the manager told me to take it up with customer service at HQ and demand a full refund on physio costs etc...............

Damn right they will be hearing from me!

That's serious craic, you'd be raging (well you are :o). I'm sceptical of those gait machines anyway and wouldn't bother with them I know my own body and whta's good and what's not, in terms of comfort and if there is something bothering me.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Who's for doing the Waterworks tomorrow? Weather seems good, might give it a blast tomorrow, had calf strain last week but managed to run yesterday so hopefully be grand
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Rois

Missed this - I did it this morn. Found it tough, have had a cold for about a month now and the breathing was rubbish for me. But still, great crowd at it.

Did you go yourself MR?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rois on February 02, 2013, 12:40:35 PM
Missed this - I did it this morn. Found it tough, have had a cold for about a month now and the breathing was rubbish for me. But still, great crowd at it.

Did you go yourself MR?

Aye did it and forgot to time my self at the start, though I hit it after a minute I think. think I've beat my PB. was some crowd at it, thought it ws going to be dodgy with ice but fair play to the organisers who must have been out with salt on the path.

Edit: Just seen my time, knocked 53 seconds off my last timed event!!! Well chuffed only a minute and few seconds to go for my under 20 minute mark, though looking how I run today I'm wondering how I'll get it!!

Calf was tight on the last pond run but don't think it made a difference

Rois

Brilliant! 53 secs?

I had a rubbish time. Position 95. Need to start changing something to start getting under 25 mins again.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rois on February 02, 2013, 10:18:10 PM
Brilliant! 53 secs?

I had a rubbish time. Position 95. Need to start changing something to start getting under 25 mins again.

Aye 53 seconds, will see how things go, you get good days and bad days Rois so never worry, i'm under pressure now FFS.

Mayo4Sam

Big crowd at the Malahide Parkrun this Saturday, up to 300 from 200 the previous week.
Took Thursday off this week and manahed to move from 20:26 to 19:39, delighted to have broken the 20 mins
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

ballinaman

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on February 04, 2013, 08:21:15 AM
Big crowd at the Malahide Parkrun this Saturday, up to 300 from 200 the previous week.
Took Thursday off this week and manahed to move from 20:26 to 19:39, delighted to have broken the 20 mins
Congrats. Great running!

Billys Boots

Quote from: Rois on February 02, 2013, 12:40:35 PM

Did you go yourself MR?

Same here Rois - had a cold over Xmas and can't get my breathing back right since.  Was easily doing 8k in 35 mins and looking to move up to 10k - now am struggling with the 8k. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...