Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Anyone tried the Nike Free shoe for any kind of regular running?

ballinaman

Quote from: Puckoon on August 01, 2012, 09:48:35 PM
Anyone tried the Nike Free shoe for any kind of regular running?
Wouldn't touch them myself. Don't fix what ain't broken attitude, been using regular running shoes for 10 years now without a problem.
Reliable research is still sketchy.

Good article on pro's and con's here though.

http://www.runninginjuryfree.org/2008/09/should-you-run-in-minimalist-shoes.html

Denn Forever

Interesting documentry about Brother Colm in Kenya, Man on a Mission on RTE 1. 
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Bingo

Committed to Dublin marathon and have stepped up the miles in last few weeks. Had a 15 miler yesterday and got through it rightly, was a warm heavy morning but bit of cloud cover helped keep the sun off.

Anyone done the athlone half marathon in September? Seems a popular one and a fairly flat one as well.

screenexile

I've recently started doing a bit of ruinning this past few weeks as there is a 10k coming up on 8th September. I've worked my way up to 5k and did that in about 25 mins on Friday.

Is it a huge step up for the 10 and is it doable in 3 weeks?? What way should I be approaching it?

laoislad

Quote from: screenexile on August 20, 2012, 10:25:20 AM
I've recently started doing a bit of ruinning this past few weeks

Who was she?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Bingo

Quote from: screenexile on August 20, 2012, 10:25:20 AM
I've recently started doing a bit of ruinning this past few weeks as there is a 10k coming up on 8th September. I've worked my way up to 5k and did that in about 25 mins on Friday.

Is it a huge step up for the 10 and is it doable in 3 weeks?? What way should I be approaching it?

Just got to go further. Your 5k times is grand for a few weeks. I'd slow down and go further over the next two weeks. Add a few km on this week, no reason you couldn't be up to 8km at weekend. Get the pace right at the start, don't blow yourself out in first km trying to force a pace.

A good guide is that you should be able to hold a conversation as you run, should help keep you at a pace that you can extend the run.

On the day, you'll squeeze out an extra effort as well for fear of failure  ;)

Rois

I mentioned this a while ago on the thread, but for the first time on Saturday took part in the Park Run in North Belfast Waterworks Park - a timed 5k run every Saturday.  My time was rubbish but something to build on - came around the middle of the field and def should have done better.

There were 150 people taking part (running and walking) and it was a great wee event.  I'll def be back on Saturday coming.

Screenexile - good luck.  I'm at about 7k (after not running for a few months I had to start again) and think I'll be ready for 10k soon if I can remember not to run too fast at the start (always my problem).

imtommygunn

I did it on Saturday as well Rois. Great wee event no matter what level of fitness etc and good training for races.

Screenexile approach it by doing the distance slow in training. On the day you'll be grand as people will carry you round (to a point) but try doing 10k a couple of times with the pace manageable enough that you can do it.

ballinaman

Yep,

Get the distance in training a few times and you'll fine fine Screen. If you could get a couple of 12km runs in too, you'll be sorted.

Anyone doing Dublin in October here lads? Training ramping up now, managed 65 miles last week with a 21 on Sat morn.

imtommygunn

Did my first ever track race last week BM. Crept under 10 minutes for a 3,000. It was a whole new world of pain.

Not doing dublin. 65 is good mileage. Hitting about 45 at present with a few 10ks coming up.

ballinaman

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 20, 2012, 10:56:25 AM
Did my first ever track race last week BM. Crept under 10 minutes for a 3,000. It was a whole new world of pain.

Not doing dublin. 65 is good mileage. Hitting about 45 at present with a few 10ks coming up.
Sub 10 is nice clipping, plenty of interval and tempo work to get down around there.Hopefully get back in the speed game next year once I get this marathon done. The training for marathon is a pain in the arse, really time consuming. Up at 8 this morn to get a 10 in before work now.
Don't know how those Ironman lads do it.

Bingo

Quote from: ballinaman on August 20, 2012, 10:53:38 AM
Yep,

Get the distance in training a few times and you'll fine fine Screen. If you could get a couple of 12km runs in too, you'll be sorted.

Anyone doing Dublin in October here lads? Training ramping up now, managed 65 miles last week with a 21 on Sat morn.

Just posted on end of last page, yeah I'm doing it. Will be first one.

Had a bit of knee problem for few weeks, so was a bit off schedule but got back on track the last few weeks. Did 37 miles last week, 15 yesterday plus 20km on the bike one evening.

Sticking to the training plan i have done for, will get a few 20miles in but not going further than that.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Bingo on August 20, 2012, 11:06:41 AM
Yep,

Had a bit of knee problem for few weeks, so was a bit off schedule but got back on track the last few weeks. Did 37 miles last week, 15 yesterday plus 20km on the bike one evening.

Sticking to the training plan i have done for, will get a few 20miles in but not going further than that.

Did I see you skipping up past the entrance to Concra yesterday evening around 4.30? Looked very like you at a quick glance.  I was flying as I was late for a very important date ;)

Bingo

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 20, 2012, 11:19:50 AM
Quote from: Bingo on August 20, 2012, 11:06:41 AM
Yep,

Did I see you skipping up past the entrance to Concra yesterday evening around 4.30? Looked very like you at a quick glance.  I was flying as I was late for a very important date ;)

I passed it yesterday at alright but it was 8.30 yesterday morning. And about a hour later. I try and get it done before people rise, they don't need to see me bounding round the place in tight shorts  ;)

I had hoped to get down to that date but had a kids birthday party. Impressive result, your magic must be beginning to work!