Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

Quote from: supersarsfields on June 01, 2012, 03:55:00 PM
Cheers Ballina. Can stand on my toes now without pain but was walking with a limp for the first couple of days after it happened.
Physio only gave me a short rub as it was down at training and there was about 3 guys waiting after me. So wouldn't say it was intensive physio or anything.

Must give the heel insert a go to see how it fairs up. And I've been hearing alot about these foam rollers lately so might have to pick one up.
Grand, sounds like a grade 2 strain if it was sore when you were walking...few fibres torn in the tendon. Foam roller will be important to breakdown the scar tissue.

Foam rollers are the job. They are available on amazon, i've the green reebok one thats listed and its decent.

imtommygunn

Have you ever heard of the rumble roller ballinaman?(http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rumble-Roller-Extra-Firm-Black/dp/B004INOO8Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1338563824&sr=8-3) I have one of them and they are some job. Basically a hard foam roller with "knubbles". Very very good for getting into places the average foam roller wouldn't get near. (hamstrings,calves, hip flexors).

Bingo for 5 and 10ks a good one to do would be to get your Lactate Threshold tested so you know where to train pace-wise on your tempo.

VO2 max also useful mind as if you're increasing that you are obviously doing something right...

I've been diagnosed with exertion induced asthma - I was getting bordering on an asthma attack every time I ran hard for more than 5 minutes. Got an inhaler and have been grand since. Did a 5k last weekend and didn't end well.

ballinaman

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 01, 2012, 04:20:25 PM
Have you ever heard of the rumble roller ballinaman?(http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rumble-Roller-Extra-Firm-Black/dp/B004INOO8Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1338563824&sr=8-3) I have one of them and they are some job. Basically a hard foam roller with "knubbles". Very very good for getting into places the average foam roller wouldn't get near. (hamstrings,calves, hip flexors).

Bingo for 5 and 10ks a good one to do would be to get your Lactate Threshold tested so you know where to train pace-wise on your tempo.

VO2 max also useful mind as if you're increasing that you are obviously doing something right...

I've been diagnosed with exertion induced asthma - I was getting bordering on an asthma attack every time I ran hard for more than 5 minutes. Got an inhaler and have been grand since. Did a 5k last weekend and didn't end well.
Aye, they are very good alright, not for the faint hearted though! Finding rocking side to side on the foam roller for the calves the best though, absolute killer but works well.
Jeeze, its more common that you think though. Did you have the inhaler before the 5K and still didn't end well?? You won't have any problems once you get on the right inhaler.

imtommygunn

Only got the inhaler yesterday and did a tempo last night. Seemed to do the trick.

I was in the lead pack and could have won the 5k(just a parkrun) then it just looked like I blew up when I could have held the pace alright  ::)

Ai, rumble roller not for the faint hearted is right. I must try that with the calves.

Bingo

Newry half well and truly done. Delighted with time of 1.36.18. Kept a good steady pace throughout and was thankful as the last mile was tough, great lift seeing a crowd and the finish line.

Legs not be fit for much today!

ballinaman

Quote from: Bingo on June 03, 2012, 02:06:08 PM
Newry half well and truly done. Delighted with time of 1.36.18. Kept a good steady pace throughout and was thankful as the last mile was tough, great lift seeing a crowd and the finish line.

Fair play Bingo...great running. I died a death from 10 in the first half I did this time last year. Fair play to ya.

Bingo

Quote from: ballinaman on June 03, 2012, 03:56:44 PM
Quote from: Bingo on June 03, 2012, 02:06:08 PM

Fair play Bingo...great running. I died a death from 10 in the first half I did this time last year. Fair play to ya.

Cheers.

It was a lovely course, one big hill in it but was ready for it and the run down it was great. Weather was great as well, bit of drizzle at start but was welcome and nice an cool on way round.

Debating weather to go for the Dublin marathon now. Few have said I should, as I've alot done but the step on from the halfs will be tough. Might keep building on the miles and see how I get on.

ballinaman

Just about to hit out for a 20 miler......times like this I wish I wasn't arsed and could sleep in...

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 10, 2012, 05:01:16 PM

Run of Champions!!!

29/07/2011 @ 1pm. This is an annual 10K run, jog or walk round the beautiful countryside of Crossmaglen. The route suits everyone who wants a challenge. The course record is 32:16 held by Gary O'Hanlon and female record 36:12 held by Julie Turley..29/07/2012 @ 1pm. Starting at Crossmaglen Rangers GFC Grounds.

If I can do it anyone can!!!!

You can register through this link

http://www.runireland.com/events/crossmaglen-10k-challenge-0

Bump for this race lads, I know Bingo will give it a rattle, depending on how my head is I will do it too :P

the Deel Rover

Quote from: ballinaman on July 21, 2012, 09:54:50 AM
Just about to hit out for a 20 miler......times like this I wish I wasn't arsed and could sleep in...

i'd call 10'0 clock a sleep in ballinaman  ;) ;D
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Bingo

Good man BC1, you all set for Sunday then? I'd say you are peaking perfectly for it

Few from Blayney heading up from what I hear, i imagine that you's are hoping for a bigger crowd than last year.
Be chipping away at a few 10kms and Duathlons recently, great weather for the bike with the warm air.

You going for the Marathon Ballinaman then? Undecided myself, have been building up my miles with a view to it but need to commit one way or another fairly soon I suppose.

ballinaman

Quote from: Bingo on July 24, 2012, 09:40:10 AM
You going for the Marathon Ballinaman then? Undecided myself, have been building up my miles with a view to it but need to commit one way or another fairly soon I suppose.
Thats the plan. Have to enter before July 31st before it goes up by another ten euro. You can get 10miles, half marathon and marathon for 100 euro if you enter all three. Going to do the 3/4 marathon in Athlone on October 7th as well, heard good things about it last year and sets you up perfectly for the marathon.

Milltown Row2

Have just entered my first Triathlon, well it's a sprint one so it shouldn't be too bad. Would be good enough swimmer and the running will be fine just haven't done enough biking over the years to gauge how well I'd do on the saddle.

Haven't got a decent bike for road racing so will have to borrow one, but looking forward to giving it ago.

Any posters here do Triathlons regularly who can give some tips on it?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Bingo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 25, 2012, 03:27:33 PM
Have just entered my first Triathlon, well it's a sprint one so it shouldn't be too bad. Would be good enough swimmer and the running will be fine just haven't done enough biking over the years to gauge how well I'd do on the saddle.

Haven't got a decent bike for road racing so will have to borrow one, but looking forward to giving it ago.

Best of look with it. Heading that direction myself, swimming nearly non-existant but have lessons arranged for over winter with local Tri club.

A lad I know done his first recently and said the start in the swim is the most chaotic thing. He was advised to stay well back or to side, and to then slot in as the field stretched out. It worked out well for him.

Bike is key. In a few where I have done the bike and run on relay teams, the Triathletes are really strong on the bike. It can be fustrating doing what you think is decent and them flying past. Get the use of a good road bike and get used to it - gear settings, get sized for seat and bar setting, if cleats they need practice for stopping and starting.

The biggest factor is the transition from one leg to the other. I know from coming off bike and into running, the legs feel like jelly and it takes a while for that feeling to leave them. A couple of brick sessions are advisable - swim and cycle, cycle and run to get used to the changes.

That be a very basic look at it and I'm sure some of the more experienced folks would have alot more to say on it.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Bingo on July 25, 2012, 03:54:11 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 25, 2012, 03:27:33 PM

Best of look with it. Heading that direction myself, swimming nearly non-existant but have lessons arranged for over winter with local Tri club.

A lad I know done his first recently and said the start in the swim is the most chaotic thing. He was advised to stay well back or to side, and to then slot in as the field stretched out. It worked out well for him.

Bike is key. In a few where I have done the bike and run on relay teams, the Triathletes are really strong on the bike. It can be fustrating doing what you think is decent and them flying past. Get the use of a good road bike and get used to it - gear settings, get sized for seat and bar setting, if cleats they need practice for stopping and starting.

The biggest factor is the transition from one leg to the other. I know from coming off bike and into running, the legs feel like jelly and it takes a while for that feeling to leave them. A couple of brick sessions are advisable - swim and cycle, cycle and run to get used to the changes.

That be a very basic look at it and I'm sure some of the more experienced folks would have alot more to say on it.

Cheers Bingo, Its the bike that I'm more worried about, plan to do practice one at the gym on Friday, DW gym has a 20 meter pool so will do 40 lengths, get of and do 12 miles on the bike (though the indoor bike would be impossible to gauge) and finish with the run. This should give me a roundabout time, but in fairness I just want to see how I cope with the different disciplines.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea