Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

I looking a new pair of trainers, Looking something reasonably priced but a decent shoe all the same. I'm running 4 days a week albeit at the gym but with the good weather I'll possibly be out on the toe path.

I'm off to the States in July so was thinking of holding out till then and maybe getting better value and choice over there.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

start fitness or sweatshop.co.uk are good places for cheaper gear online MR.

You'd not go far wrong with asics.

dec

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 27, 2012, 10:36:48 AM
I looking a new pair of trainers, Looking something reasonably priced but a decent shoe all the same. I'm running 4 days a week albeit at the gym but with the good weather I'll possibly be out on the toe path.

I'm off to the States in July so was thinking of holding out till then and maybe getting better value and choice over there.

Go to a proper running store and get fitted by people who know what they are doing. Eg. in Belfast "Up & Running" http://www.upandrunning.co.uk/belfast.html . They have a treadmill where they will video you running before suggesting something.

Bingo

Patsy Kelly 5km race on in Dundalk tomorrow evening. Fairly flat 5km and Glan Na Gael GFC are involved in the running of it. Registration open until 5.30 at the Glans clubhouse, race at 6.30.

Looking forward to it.

Aerlik

Disappointed not to run in today's Asics Bridges 5km run.  Had a stomach infection and had a 4-week spell off training and only returned last week.  Then the nephew arrived on the scene from Sydney...near liver failure on Friday night  ;D ... no state to do it.

Several races coming up in the next few months in the Perth area if anyone on here is in the area and interested.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

leaveherinsir

Ran the Omagh Half Marathon yesterday. P.B. 1:38:43!! Delighted with the time, wasnt even considering running under 1;40 beforehand!  :D

ballinaman

fair play, great running

Bingo

Ran the 5km in Dundalk, great event, great course and great support on route. I flew out as I hoping first sub 20. Blew up in last km and seemed to go back ways. Just couldn't keep pace up. Finished in 20m 8sec. Bit disappointing but hadn't done anything all week after the harlequin last Saturday, it didn't leave the legs till Thursday.

Onward anyway, few 10kms coming up before the Dundalk half.

ballinaman

Well done bingo, last weekends race would have taken zip out of the legs for the last few km's alright. I remember reading somewhere that it roughly takes a day per mile raced to recover fully.

Is the Dundalk half on a Wednesday?? What time does it start?

tyroneboi

Quote from: Bingo on April 01, 2012, 09:49:24 AM
Ran the 5km in Dundalk, great event, great course and great support on route. I flew out as I hoping first sub 20. Blew up in last km and seemed to go back ways. Just couldn't keep pace up. Finished in 20m 8sec. Bit disappointing but hadn't done anything all week after the harlequin last Saturday, it didn't leave the legs till Thursday.

Fair play to ya thats a great time. I was contemplating doing Omagh over the last week or so but just didn't have the miles in the legs to get it done! I'm thinking about doing the Newry half in June anyone done it before?

Bingo

Quote from: ballinaman on April 01, 2012, 10:05:24 AM
Well done bingo, last weekends race would have taken zip out of the legs for the last few km's alright. I remember reading somewhere that it roughly takes a day per mile raced to recover fully.

Is the Dundalk half on a Wednesday?? What time does it start?

I'll well believe it. I had planned to do a few km on rhursday or Friday to stretch the legs and open the lungs but couldn't get out.

The half is on 9th of may, it's an evening run alright. By all accounts it's a flat course on a circuit that is run twice. 10km on same night.

leaveherinsir

Quote from: tyroneboi on April 01, 2012, 10:08:12 AM

Fair play to ya thats a great time. I was contemplating doing Omagh over the last week or so but just didn't have the miles in the legs to get it done! I'm thinking about doing the Newry half in June anyone done it before?
never ran Newry before, but if you are looking for a run, there is a 5 miler in Magherafelt on Saturday 14th April, or a 10k the following day in Armagh

imtommygunn

Considering doing that one myself. I think a lot is kind of tow path running. I hear there's a hill at 8 or 9 mile but a lot of the rest of it is relatively flat. Never done it though but just what I hear.

laoislad

I'm reckon i am about two stone overweight (about 14st4 atm)so need to start getting fit and losing a few pounds.
I bought an app on iTunes called Couch to 5k which is a training program that gives you running/walking routines to do every week for about 8 weeks.
Basically week 1 you do a 45 min program 3 nighs a week where you run for 30secs then walk for 4 mins then continue on that pattern running then walking, each week the running part gets longer and the walking getting shorter right till you can run 5k none stop.
Anyone tried anything like this and is it a good way to get into running?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

SHEEDY

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 01, 2012, 06:47:46 PM

Considering doing that one myself. I think a lot is kind of tow path running. I hear there's a hill at 8 or 9 mile but a lot of the rest of it is relatively flat. Never done it though but just what I hear.
your spot on. done it last year. starts with a lap of the town then out the towpath towards tandragee. loops back towards newry with a long stretch along the tow path and finishes outside buttercrane shopping centre. towpath stretch can be a bit boring if your running on your own. would recommend it though. well run and organised.
nil satis nisi optimum