Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: heganboy on July 13, 2018, 02:04:58 PM
Are we all still sure there's going to be a Brexit?
100%

Iain Duncan Smith said he didn't vote for a Soft Brexit. Out is Out, not halfway out. Or words to that effect.

No voter was given the option of Soft v Hard Brexit. No voter was actually told at the time what Brexit actually meant! But still there's nobody (that I've heard) complaining about that. Nobody talking about a new referendum. Corbyn is anti-EU, but he can't be seen to shout it so he's just keeping out of the way.

There'll be no new referendum. Brexit is inevitable now, and only a few months away.

johnnycool

Quote from: Hound on July 13, 2018, 02:58:02 PM
Quote from: heganboy on July 13, 2018, 02:04:58 PM
Are we all still sure there's going to be a Brexit?
100%

Iain Duncan Smith said he didn't vote for a Soft Brexit. Out is Out, not halfway out. Or words to that effect.

No voter was given the option of Soft v Hard Brexit. No voter was actually told at the time what Brexit actually meant! But still there's nobody (that I've heard) complaining about that. Nobody talking about a new referendum. Corbyn is anti-EU, but he can't be seen to shout it so he's just keeping out of the way.

There'll be no new referendum. Brexit is inevitable now, and only a few months away.

Corbyn clarified his position on the EU recently where he said he was pro EU but against free trade as it drives workers wages down.
Make of that what you will.

imtommygunn

Trump told may she should sue the eu.

heganboy

ERG new clause:
new clause 37, which would make it unlawful for Northern Ireland to form a separate customs territory to Great Britain
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

screenexile

Quote from: heganboy on July 16, 2018, 04:00:14 PM
ERG new clause:
new clause 37, which would make it unlawful for Northern Ireland to form a separate customs territory to Great Britain

All moot as Brussels won't accept it anyway! We're headed for no deal . . .

balladmaker

It's looking increasingly like a no deal BREXIT, and all the chaos that goes with it. 

Where does that leave us on the island of Ireland now ... no deal means a hard border, put a border there again and I envisage a massive clamour for a border poll.  The DUP and their Brexiteer cohorts are sowing the end of the Union right before our eyes.

Farrandeelin

8 and a half months or so to go. Surely there'll be some deal by then?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

imtommygunn

Best chance is if may is ousted. Far from beyond the realms of possibility. Then it would depend who got in as they could be worse. Big chance of no deal currently.

seafoid

The last election was a catastrophe. May was banking on a 70+ majority to sideline the Eurosceptics. She lost her majority.
There is no deal she can push through parliament. An election wouldn't change much . The country is polarised.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JustineGreening/status/1018619775268814848

And so much for the will of the people.
The only thing that might help is more time. A few more years for things to work themselves out. No deal would be suicidal
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Stall the Bailer

No deal being talked about a lot. I think this will increase over the coming months so it is easier to sell the deal for the soft Brexit at the last minute.

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 16, 2018, 09:11:05 PM
Best chance is if may is ousted. Far from beyond the realms of possibility. Then it would depend who got in as they could be worse. Big chance of no deal currently.
If she goes she'll be replaced by a pro Brexit looney and that'll be worse. At least she supported Remain and is trying to get as soft a Brexit as possible. Corbyn's behaviour is pretty shocking in my opinion. He should be Remain through and through as this is the only way to protect workers rights and human rights. However his lukewarm approach is making it easier for the Brexiteers. Rees Mogg mind you is a particularly abhorrent piece of work. Sooner he gets his toffee nose comeuppance the better. Him and his feckin nanny
Careful now

Hardy

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on July 16, 2018, 10:52:34 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 16, 2018, 09:11:05 PM
If she goes she'll be replaced by a pro Brexit looney and that'll be worse. At least she supported Remain and is trying to get as soft a Brexit as possible. Corbyn's behaviour is pretty shocking in my opinion. He should be Remain through and through as this is the only way to protect workers rights and human rights. However his lukewarm approach is making it easier for the Brexiteers. Rees Mogg mind you is a particularly abhorrent piece of work. Sooner he gets his toffee nose comeuppance the better. Him and his feckin nanny

Spot on. Labour are getting an incredibly easy ride from the critics, mostly because of the lunacy among the Tories.  Labour should be leading the charge for a reversal of the referendum and a Remain decision.

seanaglis

Corbyn has always been anti-eu. He's a man of principle, he won't lead any charge against a reversal of the referendum just because it may be politically advantageous to him

omaghjoe

Quote from: seanaglis on July 16, 2018, 11:58:36 PM
Corbyn has always been anti-eu. He's a man of principle, he won't lead any charge against a reversal of the referendum just because it may be politically advantageous to him

Correct. The old left were always anti-EU, my Da voting against joining originally. Saw it as benefiting businesses and the wealthy and not much for the working man.... they were proved right on that front.

Farrandeelin

I wonder are Leo & co preparing for a no deal? Given what went fown last night.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.