Tyrone 2008

Started by tyroneman, August 14, 2007, 01:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Shane Sweeney was one of the defenders that I saw this year who was big and strong and looked county material.

orangeman

When do trials start ?

KIDDO

Trials were taking place tonight in Healy Park.

orangeman

Any new faces there ?

mannix

At this point I think that sean cavanagh is praying that there is gems to be found because the lads on the panel are not up to the mark.

highcatch

Any word of who were the new faces (or old faces) who were at the Tyrone senior trials last night in Omagh?

sam03/05

Was at Dromore Ulster club replay against Mayobridge. In my opinion Tyrone had two big problems last year. Fullback and the lack of a good ball winning forward.

McCarron the Dromore fullback looks the part he marked Benny Coulter out of the replayed game and did a great job on him in the opening match. Great prospect and must be worth a real chance for Tyrone.

O'Neill the Dromore corner forward was unreal. He completly destroyed his man today (like he has been doing all year long) won every type of ball, scored from all types of angles. Is strong, lighting quick and can really take a score.

To think that these two players are both 19 years old. Must be worth a place in the Tyrone team. To be honest I could probably pick 3 or 4 other Dromore players who also deserve a shout. Is mickey mcgee a better corner back than Fabian O'Neill? I doubt it

Puckoon

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on November 07, 2007, 08:48:25 PM
Tyrone havent produced a good scoring forward at county level in over 5 years - this is a major problem. McGinn looked like a great prospect but I see he has ruled himself out as he'd rather concentrate on playing for Dungannon Swifts which is disapppointing and unless he makes it to the big time in soccer is a waste of talent. I think there is decent talent in the county and the Dromore full forward looks well worth a shot in the McKenna Cup. Also its important that some of the lads showing potential like Cavangh jnr, Mulgrew and McMahon Jnr really kick on. I think its a must that Harte gets Sweeney back. Not only is he a decent man to man marker but would also add some much needed height to the corner back positions. Wonder will Boggs be back - he's yet to play much football in 2 years. Whats the situation with Aiden McCarron, is he injured?

Only player of the year in 2005 Stephen O'Neill ???
However, I see your point, we need more freescoring forwards.

Justy got shafted with the timely return of Phillip Jordan (who didnt look that fit during the championship run)

We are always troubled in the full back line. We already have a team of 15 who can play half back positions. Shane had some trouble with the pacier forwards towards the end of his last tyrone stint, his man marking skills were put well to the test. What makes you think he has gotten any quicker over the last 2 years to where its a must that he should be back in the team?

I think we need to rebuild the full back line around a decent full back. I dont think that the answer lies with past or present players.

orangeman

From what I saw of Shane Sweeney this year, he is as good if not better than what Tyrone have had this year - If I was Mickey, I would be lifting the phone !

Tyrone Dreamer

Puckoon - Stephen O'Neill first played at senior level for Tyrone in 1999. so he didnt come on the scene on the last 5 years. Tyrone havent produced a new forward at county level in over 5 years that can be relied on to socre consistently from play. Hopefully the Dromore full forward can solve this. 

Puckoon

TD, am aware that stevie debuted in 1999 - I failed to note that you were refering to a new free scoring forward. Never the less, our point is the same - no one else to take up the mantle when he is out of action with injury. Id still love someone in the mould of richard thornton as a minor to have a constant goal threat.

JOEPPT

Still no news from trials held in Omagh last week. Definate need for a few new faces but it is too much to expect that a new face will be able to fill full back or in midfield in his forst year. Was at the Omagh Trillick game on Sunday and have to say Joey McMahon looking nothing like a county player - really unfit and had to be moved from full back before the end of the first quarter. Justin looked OK and Niall Gormley was alright but did not stand out as a county player. Damian Gormley can on near the end and he was the only Trillick man able to win his own ball. Trillick are better in intermediate and i cant see Omagh survive too long in Senior withour some real effort from their players. They have great talent but sem to lack the real drive to win

orangeman

I see on the main Tyrone thread that Omagh have suposedly appointed Roger Keenan as their new manager - he may well instill the drive that some say are missing  - Joe Mc Mahon loks unfit and overweight - is this the case ?

Over the Bar

QuoteTyrone havent produced a new forward at county level in over 5 years that can be relied on to socre consistently from play.

Players like PTG only come along once in a lifetime and those like SON once per decade.  Tyrone can compensate for this with a fully fit Brian McGuigan as all the forward has to do is find himself a bit of space in a scoring position and BMG will put the ball in his lap.    It's nice to have a 7 point a game man but its nicer to have 4 chipping it with 3 or 4 scores each.   

orangeman

Dromore Snowy O' Neill is getting rave reviews at the moment - will he get a call up ?