Is the earlier Championship a success or failure?

Started by full moon, May 07, 2022, 12:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Earlier Championship

Success
60 (38.7%)
Failure
62 (40%)
Too early to say
33 (21.3%)

Total Members Voted: 155

shark

Quote from: seafoid on August 09, 2022, 10:08:49 AM
Quote from: seafoid on August 09, 2022, 09:15:56 AM
2 aspects from today's OTB

Ann Downey of KK camogie said players don't get enough time to prepare for the all Ireland Final and that she would prefer September finals
Because the season is shorter the GAA's ad income is going to be lower

So any news from the club players? Or are you just going to quote county players? the 1%
[/quote
I'm not sure the club players will get to decide. Club schedules are all over the place.
How much advertising do the club games bring in?

Define "all over the place". Or alternatively , just give up commentating (relentlessly) on a topic you know little about.
I didn't realise it was an advertising agency we are all members of.

ONeill

I think GAA journalists are struggling a bit for content at the minute.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: ONeill on August 09, 2022, 10:46:52 PM
I think GAA journalists are struggling a bit for content at the minute.

Breheny is doing up lists.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

seafoid

Quote from: shark on August 09, 2022, 01:11:55 PM

Ann Downey of KK camogie said players don't get enough time to prepare for the all Ireland Final and that she would prefer September finals

So any news from the club players? Or are you just going to quote county players? the 1%
[/quote
I'm not sure the club players will get to decide. Club schedules are all over the place.

Define "all over the place". Or alternatively , just give up commentating (relentlessly) on a topic you know little about.
There is no system. Some counties ran club championships in parallel with the all Ireland. Others did not.

The key feature of this change to the all Ireland was that it was rushed. I am not surprised that the club side is somewhat disorganised . Club was always run independently of county.

Where do you think the money to develop GAA stadiums comes from ? It's not all attendance money.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

marty34

Kerry hurling final was last Sunday.  It was live on TG4.

Because it was on mid-August and live, it got great exposure for Kerry hurling.

Better that than being on in tandem with 6 other county finals on the same day in mid-September and getting no media coverage.

shark

Quote from: seafoid on August 10, 2022, 07:04:03 AM
Quote from: shark on August 09, 2022, 01:11:55 PM

[/quote

There is no system. Some counties ran club championships in parallel with the all Ireland. Others did not.

The key feature of this change to the all Ireland was that it was rushed. I am not surprised that the club side is somewhat disorganised . Club was always run independently of county.

Where do you think the money to develop GAA stadiums comes from ? It's not all attendance money.

I really do not see how running independently means disorganised. They are run independently in an organised manner. What would be the advantage of having them start and finish at the exact same time? Have you thought about the implications of that? Counties are not all the same size. Some have duel considerations , others do not.

Well aware that the intercounty game brings in huge money. Spending it on stadiums has been one of the most disorganised use of it. I've been on the inside of an intercounty management setup. I know what wasting money looks like. The association should not be looking there for examples of best practice. Stripping it down is the best thing that can happen.

johnnycool

Quote from: marty34 on August 10, 2022, 08:03:17 AM

Better that than being on in tandem with 6 other county finals on the same day in mid-September and getting no media coverage.

Depends when they're expected to be playing in the Munster championship I'd have thought.

Not good to be winning a county final and then sitting doing nothing for 6 weeks or more for the next competitive game irrespective of the coverage you get.

Rossfan

With all due respect to the Kerry Champions I don't think the Munster SHC is of much relevance to them.
Also smacks of the Kerry SHC being got out of the way of the football.
Loads of Counties have and had different systems but at least now they have an uninterrupted block of time to play their Championships.
As " National" media journalists have no County games why can't they do at least round ups of Club Championship affairs and maybe pick a County to concentrate on each week.
I know the Examiner is more Regional than National but they do great coverage of Cork and Kerry Championships and do a decent look at the other Munster Counties.
I'd suspect the Irish News would be similar for the 6 Cos.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

imtommygunn

Quote from: johnnycool on August 10, 2022, 09:48:23 AM

Depends when they're expected to be playing in the Munster championship I'd have thought.

Not good to be winning a county final and then sitting doing nothing for 6 weeks or more for the next competitive game irrespective of the coverage you get.

i think Carlow was on too?

Wexford tend to finish theirs up early.

shark

What would help with this would be provincial councils conducting their draws earlier. Leinster council draws took place quite recently. If they happened in January , for example, then county boards could optimise better.

Eire90

are they basically disrespecting the club game  i have not listen to otb or any other pod in last few weeks have they been talking about clubs  or just inter county.

johnnycool

Quote from: shark on August 10, 2022, 11:01:38 AM

What would help with this would be provincial councils conducting their draws earlier. Leinster council draws took place quite recently. If they happened in January , for example, then county boards could optimise better.

Surely Croke Park, the provincial councils and the county boards all work off the same master fixtures list and set the dates accordingly..

Milltown Row2

Do they the Kerry champions play at intermediate level when they play Munster club hurling?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 10, 2022, 11:57:18 AM

Do they the Kerry champions play at intermediate level when they play Munster club hurling?

They might do, but the Munster intermediate championship doesn't start till November, that's over two months away.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on August 10, 2022, 12:31:31 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 10, 2022, 11:57:18 AM

They might do, but the Munster intermediate championship doesn't start till November, that's over two months away.

Kerry and Kilkenny are probably similar in that they play off the 'weaker' codes early to free it up for larger participated codes. which you can see the logic in it, teams can reset and there will be plenty teams to get proper challenge games in as other counties will want to have competitive  games also leading up to their own championships.

Any manager of a county championship winning team will have that arranged
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea