Building a house

Started by JimStynes, February 26, 2011, 04:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giveherlong

Anybody using the help to buy ISA?
What way do you go about claiming your bonus with a self build mortgage?

gander

Quote from: giveherlong on January 07, 2017, 02:47:28 PM
Anyone have any recent dealings with NIE on domestic electricty connections for new house ?
I'm about 230 metres from the nearest pole. The estimate on their website says I could be looking at £13,500 for a connection :(
It's just a straightforward couple of poles across a field, no road crossings
If anyone has got quotes from them let me know how much
Thanks

I've just got mine done and it was about £4000, thats an underground cable about 75metres away.  If you need a transformer itll cost more

TabClear

Quote from: gander on January 09, 2017, 10:23:10 AM
Anyone have any recent dealings with NIE on domestic electricty connections for new house ?
I'm about 230 metres from the nearest pole. The estimate on their website says I could be looking at £13,500 for a connection :(
Thanks

I've just got mine done and it was about £4000, thats an underground cable about 75metres away.  If you need a transformer itll cost more

Transformer is the big thing.  It's pot luck as if your the house that tips the balance in area and a bigger one is needed you pay the lot.  Likewise if your neighbour was the one who had to pay for the upgrade you might get lucky.  Either way make sure you do as much of the excavation and reinstatement yourself in terms of trenches etc. 

johnneycool

Quote from: gander on January 09, 2017, 10:23:10 AM
Thanks

I'd be inclined to speak to the farmer or whoever owns the ground as the underground cable may be the best bet to keep the costs down.

A farmer certainly won't want poles bang slap in the middle of a field.

trueblue1234

Based in NI, we have an invoice from a southern company with 23% VAT while building a house. Can you claim VAT back on a southern invoice for materials in the north?
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

illdecide

Quote from: trueblue1234 on January 16, 2017, 02:18:38 PM
Based in NI, we have an invoice from a southern company with 23% VAT while building a house. Can you claim VAT back on a southern invoice for materials in the north?

https://www.nibusinessinfo.co.uk/content/tax-issues-when-trading-republic-ireland
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Nailer

If you have someone working on your property that has a uk vat no and they were going to use the materials, you could give their vat no  to the co in the south and they would supply the materials vat free and you wouldn't have to reclaim the vat as you wouldn't gave paid it. The southern co sometimes ask for a letterhead with the vat no.

armaghniac

Quote from: Nailer on January 16, 2017, 09:39:20 PM
If you have someone working on your property that has a uk vat no and they were going to use the materials, you could give their vat no  to the co in the south and they would supply the materials vat free and you wouldn't have to reclaim the vat as you wouldn't gave paid it. The southern co sometimes ask for a letterhead with the vat no.

Just as well you are doing it now, Teresa May will be charging you duty in a few months.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Helix

Looking for advice regarding connecting ESB power to dwelling.
Family bought land lately and looking to put pump house for a well for troughs and electric fencer. Farming land but hopefully plans to put a house on it in few years time. Do I put down as dwelling so as don't get charged commercial rates for power.
Also trying to navigate the ordnance survey website for maps and site plan. Am I best ringing the OS crowd. Nearly €50 for map online. Wondering is there a better way of going about the application. Any help appreciated!
It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail

giveherlong

Any other decent options for thermal blocks apart from Quinn lite?

Donagh

Quote from: Helix on January 23, 2017, 11:02:04 PM
Family bought land lately and looking to put pump house for a well for troughs and electric fencer. Farming land but hopefully plans to put a house on it in few years time. Do I put down as dwelling so as don't get charged commercial rates for power.
Also trying to navigate the ordnance survey website for maps and site plan. Am I best ringing the OS crowd. Nearly €50 for map online. Wondering is there a better way of going about the application. Any help appreciated!

Where are you based Helix? Not sure about other Co Councils, but my local Wexford provide all the maps online:
Follow the link: http://www.wexford.ie/wex/departments/planning/searchplanningapplications/ and then click on the iMaps button.

FL/MAYO

Some changes in the works for Locals only planning rules.

http://selfbuild.ie/news/roi_locals_only_planning_rules/

Sligo's County Development Plan is being revised to remove 'locals only' planning rules, SelfBuild has learned, with counties Galway and Kerry considering similar moves.

According to current planning rules, restrictions to building a home in the countryside apply to green belt/sensitive areas and to rural areas under urban influence.

In both cases locals-only rules apply, but for rural areas under urban influence Sligo's draft County Development Plan (CDP) 2017-2023 included a particularly onerous requirement, stating applicants had to build on a site within a 5km radius of their original family home.

Sligo Councillor Michael Clarke told SelfBuild a second draft has been finalised and this clause has been removed, along with other locals-only rules for rural areas under urban influence.

According to Clarke an amended CDP with relaxed one-off housing provisions is expected to be published in 10 days for public consultation. He expects the final CDP in three months' time.

These policies, he says, are contrary to EU law in relation to restricting the movement of people and capital, an argument upheld by a 2013 European Court ruling.

For Sligo green belt areas and sensitive areas, restrictions will continue to apply, said Clarke, however it will now become possible for locals who own land that has been in the family for generations to build a house on these designated areas.

Under previous arrangements even if you were a local, Clarke said building on a green belt area was almost impossible.

National implications

Clarke told SelfBuild he has been liaising with Kerry and Galway councillors who are also looking to amend the one-off housing provisions of their development plans.

Galway Councillor Jim Cuddy confirmed to SelfBuild he would be tabling a motion at the next council meeting in April to remove planning restrictions on residents who wish to move outside of their town to build a home in a rural area under urban influence.

"This will have implications nationwide," Cuddy told SelfBuild. "This won't be particular to one county." Cuddy is lobbying his local TD to change Ministerial Guidelines in relation to housing policy and believes the European Court of Justice ruling will force the issue.

This is not the first time these rules have been challenged. Ten years ago the European Commission questioned their legality; the Irish state at the time replied the criteria were "well balanced and proportionate".

Helix

Quote from: Donagh on February 08, 2017, 05:04:47 PM
Quote from: Helix on January 23, 2017, 11:02:04 PM

Only seeing now but thanks for reply. Eventually got sorted. 12 weeks waiting period as far as I'm aware for power installation.
Where are you based Helix? Not sure about other Co Councils, but my local Wexford provide all the maps online:
Follow the link: http://www.wexford.ie/wex/departments/planning/searchplanningapplications/ and then click on the iMaps button.
It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail

grounded

For those of you who self built your house in the North who did you use for self build insurance? Have looked at a few but the quotes vary widely between them. Thanks for any help

The Stallion

Anyone here installed heat pumps in the last couple of years?

What's the verdict? Any negatives to report?