Building a house

Started by JimStynes, February 26, 2011, 04:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Quote from: Timber Time on September 12, 2016, 02:14:09 PM
That's expensive...
Any company names?

I'll find out who did ours and let you know.
The Aristocrat Years

redzone

Anyone know what the best way to get/keep that red scale that comes on concrete copings and window sills away

manfromdelmonte

Currently in the final stages of a house design

We've been planning on a timber frame house with outer block leaf, constructed with prefabricated insulated timber panels. The roofs will also be constructed using the insulated panels ensuring quick build time, standardised insulation across the house.
Its about 260 sq metres. We're going with solar panels to generate electricity and use it to heat water
A friend of mine has been doing the drawings as a long overdue wedding present!

A building consultant I know and I recently met with, has encouraged us to go back to a full block house (with high levels of floor, ceiling and wall insulation) due to better heat retention in the walls for heating, sound proofing between rooms, fixing stuff on the walls etc
He also suggested underfloor heating with and air to water pump is the way to go.

What are people's opinions on the air to water pumps?
Underfloor heating?
Block v Timber insulated panels

The Subbie

Quote from: redzone on September 18, 2016, 08:37:52 AM
Anyone know what the best way to get/keep that red scale that comes on concrete copings and window sills away

Bleach is worth a go to start with, normal stuff you get in the shop, if it's real bad pour it on neat, if it's over a big area mix it up with water and put on with a watering can, leave it sit for a while and power hose off.

If it comes back try a product called mosgo.

How far from the coast are you?

redzone

Quote from: The Subbie on September 18, 2016, 10:26:29 AM

Bleach is worth a go to start with, normal stuff you get in the shop, if it's real bad pour it on neat, if it's over a big area mix it up with water and put on with a watering can, leave it sit for a while and power hose off.

Co.tyrone. But I have noticed that it always comes on things that are facing the west, especially houses. A man who I know was adamant one time that if you used brown coloured sand then it was very prone to coming out. He maintained to use yellow sand especially if plastering a house. Not sure if that theory is right

The Subbie

Quote from: redzone on September 18, 2016, 10:51:01 AM

Co.tyrone. But I have noticed that it always comes on things that are facing the west, especially houses. A man who I know was adamant one time that if you used brown coloured sand then it was very prone to coming out. He maintained to use yellow sand especially if plastering a house. Not sure if that theory is right

It could be, I've often heard that the red staining could be a result of oxidisation of iron pyrites contained in sand, there would be more of that in brown sand than yellow but I'm only guessing.

TabClear

5 gallon drum of hydro chlorite used to clean milking parlors is a good job. Get it from the agristore and use a garden sprayer. Be wared though, you will destroy whatever clothes you're wearing!

The Subbie

Quote from: TabClear on September 18, 2016, 06:06:09 PM

5 gallon drum of hydro chlorite used to clean milking parlors is a good job. Get it from the agristore and use a garden sprayer. Be wared though, you will destroy whatever clothes you're wearing!

I'd be more worried about the seals on the windows to be honest !! Be careful if using that stuff, it's good gear without a doubt but it will eat through anything in its way !!

Take Your Points

It will also attack and at least discolour any mastic it comes into contact with.

trueblue1234

Lads any advise on septic tank options here in the North? Building at the minute. Will be detached house in the country.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Hereiam

You need to make a consent to discharge application. If ur putting the discharge to land drains then u will need to do a perculatation test and these results determine what tanknyou can install. Have to say most new houses are being force down the route of the more expensive bio disc or air pump tanks

aontroim abu

Quote from: Hereiam on September 21, 2016, 12:03:37 AM
You need to make a consent to discharge application. If ur putting the discharge to land drains then u will need to do a perculatation test and these results determine what tanknyou can install. Have to say most new houses are being force down the route of the more expensive bio disc or air pump tanks

get a bio disc

Hereiam

Bio disc's are costly and are a pain in the ass. The main problem with them is that its not like the ordinary tank where you bury it in the ground and forget about it (except for emptying). It requires maintenance and that is a job on its own.

trueblue1234

Yeah had been reading about those. Costly handling for installation as well as maintenance. I take it the old block tanks are a thing of the past.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

HiMucker

Does anyone have any experience of a quooker or similar instant hot water systems.  Cheapest quooker is £780, are they worth the money, and are they that much more efficient regarding your lecky bill?  Any advice appreciated