New Irish franchise for Premier league

Started by LeoMc, November 11, 2009, 08:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dublinfella

The FAI said no to the Dublin Dons in the 90's and would say no today. Its a non runner.

Rafa

Quote from: dublinfella on November 12, 2009, 09:50:24 AM
The FAI said no to the Dublin Dons in the 90's and would say no today. Its a non runner.

Why do the FAI have such a say in it? Is that something to do with UEFA?

For the record I hate all these new proposals. FFS if it's not broke don't fix it!!!

It's just a way for the Boltons & co. to ensure long term financial stability as even if they were relegated from the 'Top Tier', which by the way I think the proposal is only one up one down, then they would still have stable significant TV revenue in the 'Bottom Tier'.

The whole ethos of League football is built around the premise of promotion and relegation, the fact that there is so much at stake for clubs who may fall out of the Premier League and equally clubs that are desperately trying to get into it is what makes it so exciting!

My understanding also is that initially these 'Tiers' will be decided on stuff like ground sizes, attendances and finances. That is wholly wrong. As soon as you start determining clubs positions on anything other than pure match results then the whole competition will have lost its appeal for me as we'll be on a slippery slope to some sort of American style MLS.

Rudigar

Quote from: Rafa on November 12, 2009, 09:58:35 AM
Quote from: dublinfella on November 12, 2009, 09:50:24 AM

For the record I hate all these new proposals. FFS if it's not broke don't fix it!!!

Spot on.

dublinfella

Quote from: Rafa on November 12, 2009, 09:58:35 AM

Why do the FAI have such a say in it? Is that something to do with UEFA?

Because the games would be played in their juristiction and as such they would have to sanction them.

It would be a suicidal move for them so thats that.

Clown

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on November 11, 2009, 08:50:57 PM
I think they should start in the Championship for a season,I also don't believe either would be promoted in their first season

both teams wud need to invest on players to get out of the championship with their current squads, however with celtic in a much better financial position i think they would push the boat out with the 4 or 5 good signings for one season if it meant promotion to the lucrative premiership

all hypothetical though as i cant see it ever happening

dublinfella

Quote from: Clown on November 12, 2009, 10:55:15 AM

both teams wud need to invest on players to get out of the championship with their current squads, however with celtic in a much better financial position i think they would push the boat out with the 4 or 5 good signings for one season if it meant promotion to the lucrative premiership

The points of entry to the English Leagues are at League 2 or the EPL. You can't land in the middle.

Rafa

Quote from: dublinfella on November 12, 2009, 11:20:01 AM
Quote from: Clown on November 12, 2009, 10:55:15 AM

The points of entry to the English Leagues are at League 2 or the EPL. You can't land in the middle.

That doesn't make sense?

Why would it be more acceptable to enter the PL than the Championship? Have the Championship not gone in a similar direction as the PL recently in marketing themselves away from the Football League.

dublinfella

Quote from: Rafa on November 12, 2009, 11:42:19 AM

That doesn't make sense?

Why would it be more acceptable to enter the PL than the Championship? Have the Championship not gone in a similar direction as the PL recently in marketing themselves away from the Football League.

The EPL is a seperate company with an agreement with the English league to allow three teams in and out. Ditto the English league has a similar agreement with the Conference. However this is non binding as we have seen Conference clubs not be promoted due to stadia issues.

If the EPL decide to admit Celtic and Rangers, they are perfectly entitled to do so. Ditto the English League but that would be at League 2 level.

Rudigar

Quote from: dublinfella on November 12, 2009, 11:53:39 AM
Quote from: Rafa on November 12, 2009, 11:42:19 AM

That doesn't make sense?

The EPL is a seperate company with an agreement with the English league to allow three teams in and out. Ditto the English league has a similar agreement with the Conference. However this is non binding as we have seen Conference clubs not be promoted due to stadia issues.

If the EPL decide to admit Celtic and Rangers, they are perfectly entitled to do so. Ditto the English League but that would be at League 2 level.

Interesting.

If it was to happen they should lump them into League 2, see how they like it.

Edit: Said 'we should' instead of 'they should' for some reason originally.

Denn Forever

No go for Celtic or Rangers into the EPL and they are putting EPL Leg. 2 on the long finger.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/8357262.stm
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Denn Forever on November 12, 2009, 03:23:52 PM
No go for Celtic or Rangers into the EPL and they are putting EPL Leg. 2 on the long finger.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/8357262.stm

But attitudes within the EPL are mellowing, still a NO but with more backing for a positive this time.
Tbc....

Denn Forever

Rangers made a loss of 15 million this year so they will be hoping it is sooner rather than later. 

Heard a guy from a supporters club that they are hoping to go to a membersd ownership ala Barcelona.  How are Celtic's finances?

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

EC Unique

Would the EPL really want all the sectarian baggage that comes along with Celtic and Rangers? Leave them in the Scottish League I say.