Monaghan v Derry

Started by Maguire01, July 05, 2009, 06:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor Hill

Should we start a Monaghan/Derry v Kerry thread for the next round?

JMohan

Quote from: Trevor Hill on July 05, 2009, 06:46:24 PM
Quote from: Overthebar! on July 05, 2009, 06:43:42 PM
if derry win thatll be the end of banty......

And what of Cassidy if Derry lose?
I think he should go ... I've seen enough to doubt he's got anything to offer Derry

Schkite

Quote from: JMohan on July 05, 2009, 06:53:33 PM

I think he should go ... I've seen enough to doubt he's got anything to offer Derry

Surely you're joking? Even if his first year was a disaster you'd give him more time no? Will yous be looking for Baker to replace him?!

Overthebar!

you have to be joking mohan. give the man time, he'll be after you. rumour has it he likes posting on this board...

lets see if we can get this thread to go over a 100 pages this time!

JMohan

Quote from: Main Street on July 05, 2009, 06:50:18 PM
I had to laugh when it was Derry in the away ball.
It was either going to be Kerry or Derry ::)

I enjoyed the last (double) thread pre game with the Armagh posters,
I suppose it's back to basics with this thread.

Glad it's in Clones.  The first qual done and dusted will have Monaghan in fine fettle for this one.
The spirit, teamwork and defense are on song, all we need is some final play finesse and better finishing (a mere minor detail).
Pendulum has slightly swung towards Monghan. But probably Derry will be slight favourites.

Yes .... just need to make sure ...

1. The referees don't cop on to Dessie's off the ball stuff

2. Make sure midfield doesn't go to sleep - happened for periods last night

3. Make the half fwd line work harder defending - thought they gave Armagh too long at times to build with no pressure

4. Win more of the long ball that goes into the full forward line - they made Donaghy look like star last night

Our Nail Loney

Backed Derry to go out in the qualifiers at 10/11 during the week, looks like I might not have much of a sweat, could be up afer week one

JMohan

Quote from: Overthebar! on July 05, 2009, 06:57:16 PM
you have to be joking mohan. give the man time, he'll be after you. rumour has it he likes posting on this board...

;D ;D ;D ;D
Let him ...

I thought the lining out of the team against Tyrone was criminal.

Paul Murphy? Eoin Brown?

Not Inter-County standard at all!

Overthebar!

Quote from: JMohan on July 05, 2009, 07:00:28 PM

;D ;D ;D ;D
Let him ...

Paul Murphy? Eoin Brown?

aye but sir there were injuries lets see how he goes with a full panel to pick from. would say monaghan are favourites atm
ive a serious question, who would win in a fight. dick clerkin or patsy bradley?

JMohan

Quote from: Schkite on July 05, 2009, 06:55:06 PM

Surely you're joking? Even if his first year was a disaster you'd give him more time no? Will yous be looking for Baker to replace him?!
I'm a neutral!

I just don't think he's got much other than passion and heart to bring to the party - you need good football intelligence to win an AI  
Don't think he has it

Keyser soze

Bloody hell, the last draw Derry, or even Monaghan, wanted.

Motivationally I think Monaghan might have a slight edge after the last day out and the fallout from that, it sort of reminds of 2001 when Tyrone beat Derry in Ulster Semi and we than put them to  the sword in the AI quarters and Tohill in his interview after the game said he felt sorry for Tyrone having to play a team that they had earlier beaten.

The loss of Freeman [wrongly IMO] however will remain a big negative for Monaghan as a sort of a balancing factor.

Glad to see someone implying that Derry are gonna save football, i had a great laugh at that. Have you not seen our matches this year!!

JMohan

Quote from: Overthebar! on July 05, 2009, 07:02:47 PM

;D ;D ;D ;D
Let him ...

Paul Murphy? Eoin Brown?

aye but sir there were injuries lets see how he goes with a full panel to pick from. would say monaghan are favourites atm
ive a serious question, who would win in a fight. dick clerkin or patsy bradley?
Patsy

Injuries are a bad excuse - Where was Conleith Gilligan, Wilkinson, McCloy?

Schkite

Quote from: JMohan on July 05, 2009, 07:03:48 PM
Quote from: Schkite on July 05, 2009, 06:55:06 PM

I'm a neutral!

I just don't think he's got much other than passion and heart to bring to the party - you need good football intelligence to win an AI  
Don't think he has it

Right so, just think it'd be very strange for any manager to only get a year, couldn't see it happening.

JMohan

Quote from: SouthDerryGael on July 05, 2009, 07:07:22 PM
Quote from: JMohan on July 05, 2009, 07:05:09 PM

;D ;D ;D ;D
Let him ...

Paul Murphy? Eoin Brown?

Patsy

???

Wilkinson and Gilligan aren't even on the panel this year! And DC just didn't put Mc Cloy on.

Exactly
Wilkinson was MOTM for Ballinderry last year ... was perfectly suited for the Tyrone game and style of play + lots of experience
Gilligan could have been a great addition, slow the game down and set up play - see vs Donegal last year
McCloy should have been on after 20 mins (should have started anyway) and gone CB when McGoldrick went to MF

Atticus_Finch

Quote from: JMohan on July 05, 2009, 07:10:31 PM

;D ;D ;D ;D
Let him ...

Paul Murphy? Eoin Brown?

Patsy

???

Wilkinson and Gilligan aren't even on the panel this year! And DC just didn't put Mc Cloy on.

Exactly
Wilkinson was MOTM for Ballinderry last year ... was perfectly suited for the Tyrone game and style of play + lots of experience
Gilligan could have been a great addition
McCloy should have been on after 20 mins (should have started anyway) and gone CB when McGoldrick went to MF

Only agree with you on Mc Cloy.

Wilkinson could have been worth a shout against Tyrone only because the half forward line on that day was in complete disarray.

I think Gilligan despite being given plenty of opportunity has never shown his worth on the intercounty stage. Dont think he is worth drafting in.
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

JMohan

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on July 05, 2009, 07:14:18 PM
Quote from: JMohan on July 05, 2009, 07:10:31 PM

;D ;D ;D ;D
Let him ...

Paul Murphy? Eoin Brown?

Patsy

???

Exactly
Gilligan could have been a great addition

Only agree with you on Mc Cloy.

Wilkinson could have been worth a shout against Tyrone only because the half forward line on that day was in complete disarray.

I think Gilligan despite being given plenty of opportunity has never shown his worth on the intercounty stage. Dont thonk he is worth drafting in.
I think if he had even brought McCloy on to stick to Cavanagh after 20 mins when Murphy came off he could have realised O'Kane who is the best attacking option out of defense

Wilkinson should be on the panel

Gilligan - you may be right - but he certainly would have done better than Murphy, Brown, Lynn or Mullan