Best Comedy Series/Programme

Started by 5 Sams, November 16, 2007, 08:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stew

Ironically the masters of physical comedy were from the silent era, Harold Lloyd was tremendous as was Buster Keaton and Chaplin.

Laurel and Hardy were also brilliant, for me the older generations were better at physical comedy than the current crop of comedians.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: stew on November 17, 2007, 02:30:56 PM
Ironically the masters of physical comedy were from the silent era, Harold Lloyd was tremendous as was Buster Keaton and Chaplin.

Laurel and Hardy were also brilliant, for me the older generations were better at physical comedy than the current crop of comedians.
Brillant for their generation but that's where it belongs.

Watching Arrested Development since this morning - definitely gets the thumbs up!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

ONeill

Two of the best physical comedians in recent years have been Jim Carrey and Chevy Chase, also two of my favourite actors.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Rav67

In no order

Father Ted
The Office
South Park
Brass Eye
Peep Show
Shameless

Louth Exile

1. Father Ted
2. Fawlty Towers
3. Family Guy
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

stew

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 17, 2007, 03:55:32 PM
Quote from: stew on November 17, 2007, 02:30:56 PM

Brillant for their generation but that's where it belongs.

Watching Arrested Development since this morning - definitely gets the thumbs up!

laurel and Hardy, Lloyd and co were brilliant in any generation.

Chevy chase is over rated and carrey is an over actor in the william shatner mode.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Hardy

Quote from: ONeill on November 17, 2007, 04:38:56 PM
Two of the best physical comedians in recent years have been Jim Carrey and Chevy Chase, also two of my favourite actors.

Good God Almighty O'Neill, there's something seriously wrong with your comedy antennae. Chevy Chase? Actor? But whatever about that, Jim Carrey is one of the few people who can make my skin creep. A poor man's Jerry Lewis. Who was a poor man's poor ... something poor ...

ludermor

The worlds greatest comedy characters is on Channel 4 now, some good stuff!

pintsofguinness

Rufus T Firefly

When it comes to comedy, the absolute masters for me are Laurel and Hardy and the Marx Brothers - comic genius in their own time, comic genius now and comic genius fifty years from now, i.e. timeless. There is nothing comes close, absolutely nothing.

As for comedy series, the best by a country mile for me was/is The Phil Silvers Show and the Simpsons (if it counts). Other classics were Cheers, Fawlty Towers, Only Fools and Horses, Red Dwarf, Blackadder, Porridge and three I haven't seen mentioned here, What Ever Happened To The Likley Lads, Dads Army and Yes (Prime) Minister.

I would also have thought of Citizen Smith as an absolute classic, but having seen it relatively recently, I thought it had not dated as well.

ludermor

Duck Soup was on sky movies last night
Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on November 17, 2007, 10:32:46 PM

I would also have thought of Citizen Smith as an absolute classic, but having seen it relatively recently, I thought it had not dated as well.

When did you see it when it had dated well?

ONeill

Quote from: Hardy on November 17, 2007, 07:06:01 PM
Quote from: ONeill on November 17, 2007, 04:38:56 PM

Good God Almighty O'Neill, there's something seriously wrong with your comedy antennae. Chevy Chase? Actor? But whatever about that, Jim Carrey is one of the few people who can make my skin creep. A poor man's Jerry Lewis. Who was a poor man's poor ... something poor ...

Carrey is a genius.

Driver long

Carrey is indeed a genius but Chevy Chase needs shot!

Yes Minister is up there with the best of them! My Faves:-

1.  Phoenix nights
2.  Yes Minister
3.  The office
4.  Frasier
5.  Father Ted
6.  Royle Family
7.  Fawlty Towers
8.  Cheers
9.  OFAH
10. Thin Blue Line (Don't know why i like it but i do)

Don't count shameless and teachers as i don't think of them as comedies, more drama, or any of the animated stuff.

Can't believe some people are mentioning the vicar of dibley and One foot in the grave!

pintsofguinness

Shameless is down as "Comedy/Drama" on IMDB and "Comedy Sitcom" on DVD Aficionado (a site I frequent)
Teachers is known as the same - who are we to argue.

I like Chevy Chase but he's no genius. 
As for Carrey, as I said earlier it takes a good man to act the idiot but as Carrey is an absolute idiot it's not too difficult for him.

ONeill

From the underrated Cable Guy to the clever and provocative Truman Show, Carrey is the only comedian who'd get me off the illegal downloading and into the cinema.