Corcaigh v Tír Eoghain, D1R614, Páirc Uí Rinn, Sunday 30th March @ 2pm

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, March 17, 2014, 07:56:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Nakata

I would rather see PJ Quinn and Tierney in the corners, they deserve a shot at redemption. Both completely roasted in Killarney yes but offered zero protection from the players in front of them. I wonder is it a case of beard thinking...you boys clearly aren't up to it...hope not. For me they are more aggressive and sticky than the players selected...suppose it can only be a matter of time before Gormley and Joe slot in to that defense.

trileacman

I've thought that Shay has shown promise, he can certainly pick a pass and deserves a right bit more time before we write him off. Coney on the other hand, IMO hasn't delivered and still lives off his reputation as a county minor which is a long way from where we are now. Shown well for Ardboe most notably that county final v Dromore they should have won but for me has had plenty of county chances and failed to live up to it. I don't mind us giving him a few more goes but I can't fathom lads having such little patience with younger players whilst simultaneously affording Coney leniency because of what he done in a minor shirt.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Fuzzman

Is big Clarke injured or in the subs?
He's one of many who probably deserves to be in the starting lineup but we're not sure of his best position. He can certainly push forward and take his score.
Yeah I'd stick with Shay a while as well and I'd say he'll come good. I like the way he's got the bigger stature to his older brothers.
I know it's early days for a lot of these new young lads but even with the older lads, only Block seems to be the only real man that show some aggression and give the others a kick up the arse. What I mean is we have too many nicey nice guys like Joey, Justy, both Cavanaghs and others who are too easy pushed about. We've witnessed that v Donegal the last three years

CD

Shay has the makings of a really good player. I have a feeling he won't feature quite so much this summer but is being conditioned for next year. Mickey has done this a lot in recent years - given players plenty of time in league even when their form has been up and down and then used them more the following year - McCurry, Donnelly, McGinley etc.

Don't agree with your comment re. the McMahons and Cavanaghs being nicey nice Fuzzaman! They're all nice lads off the pitch but they are certainly combative on it. Don't know where you get that from! Donegal didn't push them about, they targeted space around Joe and Sean and got so many bodies around them that Joe kept giving up possession and Sean was running the ball into brick walls. I thought this was more a case of (a) no plan B as loads of posters have commented on here over the past few seasons and (b) the lack of any other leaders on the pitch to step up and take responsibility from our two key ball carriers. Surely this says more about the lads around them than Sean and Joe?
Agree with Trileacman re. Coney as well. I'm on the fence with him.

I'm assuming Clarke as a knock and wouldn't be surprised if he is on the bench or even starting! Mickey might have gone back to the drawing board when he saw that Cork 15! Looks way too strong for us at the minute. Anticipating a 5/6 point defeat.
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

tyroneman

Quote.  Coney on the other hand, IMO hasn't delivered and still lives off his reputation as a county minor which is a long way from where we are now       

Think that's very harsh to be honest. Coney hasn't had 1 full uninjured season yet in Senior football  to show what he can do.

When he got the run of games in the league a few years ago he was outstanding. That is until he got injured again.

I wouldn't be judging him until he gets well into a second injury free season.

Does big Sean look like a former player of the year at the minute while trying to get back up to speed?

Give Coney a chance.

ONeill

After the mauling in Kerry, this game will say a lot about our chances to progress into the late Summer.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: tyroneman on March 29, 2014, 11:04:07 AM
Quote.  Coney on the other hand, IMO hasn't delivered and still lives off his reputation as a county minor which is a long way from where we are now       

Think that's very harsh to be honest. Coney hasn't had 1 full uninjured season yet in Senior football  to show what he can do.

When he got the run of games in the league a few years ago he was outstanding. That is until he got injured again.

That's very true. He was really finding his feet and form at the Senior grade until injury intervened, and we could really be doing with a rediscovery of that attacking potency right now.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

omagh_gael

A fit, firing on all cylinders Kyle could be massive for us. He could free up Matty Donnelly to rove further out the field as it is clear we need him, Joe and Conor round our half back/full back line. Be fantastic to have a fully fit Justin back as well. It would leave a championship team along the lines of:

Niall Morgan
Justy
Clarke
Pj Quinn
Harte
Joe McMahon
Conor Gormley
Sean Cav
Colm Cav
McGinley
Ronan O'Neill
Matty Donnely
McAliskey
Kyle Coney
Darren McCurry

That's not even factoring in SoN. Although it's hard to tell if Mickey would start and replace him, if he is fit, or send him on for the last 20/25 mins.

shawshank

All you need now is wee Pete fit and your in business. Let's face he is retired as long as Justy.

ziggysego

What's the black kit some of the Tyrone players are wearing?  It's nice looking.
Testing Accessibility

omagh_gael

That's the referee Zig ;-)

Good first half so far, Kyle showing up well.

Family guy

trileacman

Coney making me eat my words a bit here. It's ironic that Coney the bigger, taller man is an excellent finisher but poor at winning possession whilst McCurry has won alot of ball he shouldn't including that last free but his distribution has been v poor. McKenna has been awful, McNamee impressive, he's getting to grips with Hurley the longer the game goes on.

McCurry/Coney interplay is beautiful to watch, reminds me off the GOD/SON/Mugsy triad of '05. What happened McCann? Was going well. Petey's best half in a couple games. Colm is a foul machine, Christ he makes it hard on himself. Mark D, Sean and Shea have been very quiet. Doing the donkey work in the middle maybe. McGinley is nailed on for a starting wing forward spot come championship, lets us play 7 backs to cover a shite defence.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

omagh_gael

Brilliant stuff from Kyle, if he can stay injury free for rest of year and show this kind of form we could go places. That point of the outside of the boot from the left wing was fantastic.

Quick mention to defensive display which has been top notch so far.

Could we see Justy or Block now early in 2nd half?

Carmen Stateside

Great half from Coney. Defense has stepped up in the last ten of the half.