Division 2 2024

Started by Captain Scarlet, January 16, 2023, 02:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mup

Quote from: Armagh18 on February 16, 2024, 11:03:09 AM
Quote from: mup on February 16, 2024, 10:30:02 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on February 16, 2024, 10:08:48 AMMaybe 5 years ago. The Dubs are far from unbeatable now. Monaghan have had their number in the league the last few times and ran them close in the championship last year. No reason Kildare and Meath can't do the same given the pick of the 3 counties. And 0 excuse for them not beating Fermanagh.

If they want an example just look at Louth. They make improvements not excuses, the attitude of any of their lads you see interviewed is so refreshing to see.

You seem to think Fermanagh should not be beating Kildare. Why is that? Kildare have only two more provincial titles in 50 years. The same amount of AI tiles in that time. Fermanagh have every right to be beating the likes of Kildare.
Look at the pick both would have. 247k people in Kildare vs 63k people in Fermanagh before you take out the non gaa inclined demographic in Fermanagh. Kildare should absolutely be doing a lot better than they are. Look at all the strong underage teams in the last few years.

(Watch Kildare beat us Sunday now I'm saying all this!)

We won't be beating you Sunday so you are safe enough.

Sure if its down to population then Kilkenny should be nowhere near that many hurling titles. Dublin should be dominating the football AI tiles.

I did question above the reason for the drop off in standards in minor/u20 within Kildare. Players thrive on the possibility of success. That is not there for a Kildare footballer so the desire is not there.

lurganblue

Quote from: mup on February 16, 2024, 11:13:09 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on February 16, 2024, 10:08:48 AMMaybe 5 years ago. The Dubs are far from unbeatable now. Monaghan have had their number in the league the last few times and ran them close in the championship last year. No reason Kildare and Meath can't do the same given the pick of the 3 counties. And 0 excuse for them not beating Fermanagh.

If they want an example just look at Louth. They make improvements not excuses, the attitude of any of their lads you see interviewed is so refreshing to see.

You seem to think Fermanagh should not be beating Kildare. Why is that? Kildare have only two more provincial titles in 50 years. The same amount of AI tiles in that time. Fermanagh have every right to be beating the likes of Kildare.
Look at the pick both would have. 247k people in Kildare vs 63k people in Fermanagh before you take out the non gaa inclined demographic in Fermanagh. Kildare should absolutely be doing a lot better than they are. Look at all the strong underage teams in the last few years.

Sure if its down to population then Kilkenny should be nowhere near that many hurling titles. Dublin should be dominating the football AI tiles.

I did question above the reason for the drop off in standards in minor/u20 within Kildare. Players thrive on the possibility of success. That is not there for a Kildare footballer so the desire is not there.

Is the drive, ethos and status that comes with being on the senior county squad not there?  Even when Armagh were in Div3, the county lads are still seen as almost celebs around here. It seems like Kildare and Meath have slipped into apathy at senior level. 

mup

Quote from: lurganblue on February 16, 2024, 11:22:58 AM
Quote from: mup on February 16, 2024, 11:13:09 AM

Is the drive, ethos and status that comes with being on the senior county squad not there?  Even when Armagh were in Div3, the county lads are still seen as almost celebs around here. It seems like Kildare and Meath have slipped into apathy at senior level. 

I don't think it is. It seems lads are going through the motions. I cannot fathom how Kildare have two u20 AI's in the last 5 years and yet are so poor at senior level. It can't be the manager the whole time.

Even the support has dropped off significantly. I used to follow the Kildare team everywhere. I haven't seen them play live in over 10 years. Ok that is partly down to family life but I'd get to a few games a year.

SouthOfThe Bann

Quote from: Armagh18 on February 15, 2024, 08:50:44 PMOr they could quit yapping and improve. Theres no excuse for likes of Meath and Kildare to not be competitive.

I suppose Louth have that Northern edge being close to the border and dont make excuses. Fermanagh are a credit also given the limited resources they have. What Fermanagh do have is a great culture; their players are in great shape.

Kildare and Meath just want to lie down.

mup

Quote from: SouthOfThe Bann on February 16, 2024, 12:12:17 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on February 15, 2024, 08:50:44 PMOr they could quit yapping and improve. Theres no excuse for likes of Meath and Kildare to not be competitive.

I suppose Louth have that Northern edge being close to the border and dont make excuses. Fermanagh are a credit also given the limited resources they have. What Fermanagh do have is a great culture; their players are in great shape.

And why do they want to lie down? Its very easy to make such a glib statement without delving further into it.

Whatever about Kildare but Meath teams were never known for lying down. There has to be a reason for the culture change in Meath football over the past 20+ years.

Armagh18

Quote from: mup on February 16, 2024, 12:21:26 PM

And why do they want to lie down? Its very easy to make such a glib statement without delving further into it.

Whatever about Kildare but Meath teams were never known for lying down. There has to be a reason for the culture change in Meath football over the past 20+ years.
Meath lay down against us 2 weeks ago. Fair enough getting tanked by the Dubs but theres no reason not to be around the level of Armagh.

mup

Quote from: Armagh18 on February 16, 2024, 12:34:53 PM

Meath lay down against us 2 weeks ago. Fair enough getting tanked by the Dubs but theres no reason not to be around the level of Armagh.

Is it possible that the regular tankings by Dublin has taken its toll?

StephenC

Probably needs its own thread at this stage.

Look-Up!

This is a Division 2 league thread. Dublin are not in this division. I expected Kildare to be in the shake up for promotion start of year.

We're after a break and still 10 points to fight for so they can still turn it around but I cannot get my head around the defeatist attitude of some on here. Kildare have competed in Div1 recently, were in the super 8's when they were a thing. Narrowly lost to Dublin in Leinster last year, narrowly lost to Monaghan to make AIQF. Have been in 3 of the last 6 U20 AI finals, winning 2. Have a large passionate following so money is flowing. Are a stones throw from Dublin so educational and work options are optimal for players and travel distances for collective training shouldn't prove too problematic. There are so many counties in Ireland would give their right arms to have their "problems"!

Get a grip FFS. Go out and play the game and forget about the Dubs unless ye meet them come championship. But if some of your players have the same attitude as some of the posters on here, maybe ye'd be better off in Division 3.

mup

Quote from: Look-Up! on February 16, 2024, 01:28:22 PMThis is a Division 2 league thread. Dublin are not in this division. I expected Kildare to be in the shake up for promotion start of year.

We're after a break and still 10 points to fight for so they can still turn it around but I cannot get my head around the defeatist attitude of some on here. Kildare have competed in Div1 recently, were in the super 8's when they were a thing. Narrowly lost to Dublin in Leinster last year, narrowly lost to Monaghan to make AIQF. Have been in 3 of the last 6 U20 AI finals, winning 2. Have a large passionate following so money is flowing. Are a stones throw from Dublin so educational and work options are optimal for players and travel distances for collective training shouldn't prove too problematic. There are so many counties in Ireland would give their right arms to have their "problems"!

Get a grip FFS. Go out and play the game and forget about the Dubs unless ye meet them come championship. But if some of your players have the same attitude as some of the posters on here, maybe ye'd be better off in Division 3.

Dublin are not in Div 2 yet you go on to mention them several times in your post.

Kildare and Meath are in Div 2 and are going poorly. There is no rule against putting forward opinions on why they that may be.

The attitude or opinion of some anonymous posters on a message board has no effect on the Kildare players.

SouthOfThe Bann

Why the change in attitude or culture in Meath you ask?

Some theories would suggest that their has been a demographic change or transition in Meath from a mostly rural county to a more urbanized county?

Could this be a factor.

Look-Up!

Quote from: mup on February 16, 2024, 01:57:07 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on February 16, 2024, 01:28:22 PMThis is a Division 2 league thread. Dublin are not in this division. I expected Kildare to be in the shake up for promotion start of year.

Dublin are not in Div 2 yet you go on to mention them several times in your post.

Kildare and Meath are in Div 2 and are going poorly. There is no rule against putting forward opinions on why they that may be.

The attitude or opinion of some anonymous posters on a message board has no effect on the Kildare players.
Last time I checked Kildare players were from Kildare. If some of the attitudes on here are a prevailing attitude within the county then it would explain your performances.

mup

Quote from: Look-Up! on February 16, 2024, 02:12:33 PM
Quote from: mup on February 16, 2024, 01:57:07 PM

Last time I checked Kildare players were from Kildare. If some of the attitudes on here are a prevailing attitude within the county then it would explain your performances.

Can you explain the performances of the other Leinster counties? None of them are setting the world alight. How long more are people going to ignore it? Leinster as a football province has been destroyed.

mup

Quote from: SouthOfThe Bann on February 16, 2024, 02:10:42 PM

Why the change in attitude or culture in Meath you ask?

Some theories would suggest that their has been a demographic change or transition in Meath from a mostly rural county to a more urbanized county?

Could this be a factor.

Yes, thats a possibility There has also been incidents of lads living in Meath playing underage for Dublin. Ditto in Kildare. The lure of Provincial and AI titles is just too great.

bennydorano

Kildare getting read up all week,they will be chomping at the bit for Armagh now.Get the money on a draw 9/1. Armagh a ridiculous 2/9, 4/1 Kildare.

Good to see Conaty & McConville starting for Armagh, shows a bit of intent.