8 Dan Gordon (Loughinisland)
9 Greg McCartan Castlewellan)
10 Ross Carr (Clonduff)
11 Greg Blaney (Ballycran)
12 Martin Clarke (An Riocht)
13 Mickey Linden (Mayobridge)
14 Ambrose Rogers Snr (Longstone)
15 James McCartan (Tullylish)

Listing Blaney as a Ballycran footballer since 1990 is cop out.

SHEEDY

An alternative 15 with no players that have won an all ireland:

M mcveigh

D rafferty
D gordon
D ohagan

D ohanlon
L doyle
C mooney

A rodgers
K king

D hughes
Shorty treanor
M clarke

P mccommiskey
B coulter
R murtagh
nil satis nisi optimum

whitegoodman

Interesting, you have none of the 2010 half back line which was a mainstay of that team.

Not too many cleaned Garvey and Rooney that year and McKernan was immense going forward once he won his place back

Smurfy123

Great debate lads
Can't argue with most of Ambrose team
Mickey McVeigh in goals as I would count Greg B as Carryduff
I would also place Ambrose Rodgers senior in midfield and Mason at 14
Other than that it looks good

Best Down team from the 90s

1- N Collins
2- M McGill
3- C Deegan
4- P Higgins
5 E Burns
6 P O Rourke
7 D J Kane
8 G McCartan
9 B Breen
10 R Carr
11 G Blaney
12 J McCartan
13 M Linden
14 B Coulter
15 G Mason

Only 1 played of the modern era would make that team and in saying that make that forward line comfortably with question. Benny is on power on his day for both the club and county pound for pound as good a forward as we have ever produced.

Players unfortunate to miss out
B Burns someone had to loose out
P Witnell
A Rodgers SNR (coming to and end then)
J Kelly
M Clarke
Shorty (if only he made himself available for Down more. Probably the nest club player Down has ever produced)
D O Hagen Downs most consistent player this 6 years

Below great players but not for long enough
A Rodgers
C McCabe (talent but don't know why couldn't make more of it???)
M McVeigh
S Mullholland
S Ward

L Howlett very unfortunate with injuries but what a player at underage. He was something else.

Open for debate lads

Hope everyone is keeping well

SHEEDY

Quote from: whitegoodman on April 08, 2020, 01:36:39 PM
Interesting, you have none of the 2010 half back line which was a mainstay of that team.

Not too many cleaned Garvey and Rooney that year and McKernan was immense going forward once he won his place back
it was the one from each team that was the killer, laverty, mckernan, garvey had to miss out.
nil satis nisi optimum

Ambrose

Quote from: Smurfy123 on April 08, 2020, 02:27:30 PM
Great debate lads

Open for debate lads

As the wobbler says, including Blaney as a Ballycran footballer is a cop out, but he's the first name on my team sheet. I have to include Neil Collins from Carryduff as my keeper, if only for that penalty save, but he was still the best Down keeper from that era in my opinion.
Mickey McVeigh was an excellent keeper, but if I included him, I'd have to drop Greg McCartan from midfield and let's be honest including Greg as a Castlewellan player is another cop out. Greg is a Ballymartin man. In my time watching Down from the early 70s, Greg makes my all time midfield pairing along with Colm McAlarney.
You can't live off history and tradition forever

whitegoodman

Here is one for yas;

For those who can remember, who was the better captain and leader (not player), DJ or POR ?

Maybe its an unfair question given there were so many leaders in that team.

ardtole

Quote from: Ambrose on April 08, 2020, 03:29:59 PM
Quote from: Smurfy123 on April 08, 2020, 02:27:30 PM
Great debate lads

Open for debate lads

As the wobbler says, including Blaney as a Ballycran footballer is a cop out, but he's the first name on my team sheet. I have to include Neil Collins from Carryduff as my keeper, if only for that penalty save, but he was still the best Down keeper from that era in my opinion.
Mickey McVeigh was an excellent keeper, but if I included him, I'd have to drop Greg McCartan from midfield and let's be honest including Greg as a Castlewellan player is another cop out. Greg is a Ballymartin man. In my time watching Down from the early 70s, Greg makes my all time midfield pairing along with Colm McAlarney.

Surely if you count Gregory McCartan as a Ballymartin man (his original club), you have to count Blaney as a Ballycran man (his original club). 

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: ardtole on April 08, 2020, 05:50:40 PM
Surely if you count Gregory McCartan as a Ballymartin man (his original club), you have to count Blaney as a Ballycran man (his original club).

Big Greg was playing for Ballymartin when Down won the All Irelands.

Wee Greg was playing for Carryduff when Down won the All Irelands.

Hardly unreasonable to have Ballymartin & Carryduff.
i usse an speelchekor

Lotto

Quote from: whitegoodman on April 08, 2020, 04:36:14 PM
Here is one for yas;

For those who can remember, who was the better captain and leader (not player), DJ or POR ?

POR was a passenger in 1991, he wore No.6 but never played there. Always moved onto the 'weakest' forward. A leader in his size but not in his play. DJ drove the team on 1994 and lead by example, he was a scrapper and did whatever needed to be done to win.

As for putting Dan Gordan as the best number 3 at any stage is bewildering. Donncha O'Connor scored 5 points of him in 2010, he was never a man marker and had a terrible game that day, maybe costing us a win. The line must also take alot of the blame for not making a change sooner.

Targetman

Wee James was good craic on Woolly podcast, he was very complementary about a certain part of big Austin's anatomy!!

thewobbler

Quote from: Lotto on April 08, 2020, 07:48:07 PM
Quote from: whitegoodman on April 08, 2020, 04:36:14 PM
Here is one for yas;

POR was a passenger in 1991, he wore No.6 but never played there. Always moved onto the 'weakest' forward. A leader in his size but not in his play. DJ drove the team on 1994 and lead by example, he was a scrapper and did whatever needed to be done to win.

As for putting Dan Gordan as the best number 3 at any stage is bewildering. Donncha O'Connor scored 5 points of him in 2010, he was never a man marker and had a terrible game that day, maybe costing us a win. The line must also take alot of the blame for not making a change sooner.

I sat in the Canal End for that match.

My overwhelming memory of the second half was that Cork won almost every kickout then drove straight up the giant gaping hole in the middle of Down's defence.

Personally I'd never blame anyone in a full-back line when that happens. It's like blaming doctors for not saving everyone from cancer.

And yet Cork still only won by one. That's how efficient we had become up front.

befair

I was in the Canal End also; Cork were there for the taking, but our kick-out strategy was disastrous.  The management didn't respond, instead made foolish changes in the forward line.