China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kidder81

Quote from: thewobbler on September 03, 2020, 09:05:54 PM
Quote from: hardstation on September 03, 2020, 08:51:20 PM
Schools are back at it, why is the traffic still very light?

A huge percentage of the cars in Belfast City centre would be NICS or BCC. Thems the ones with all the covered parking spaces in BT1 and BT2.

Are most NICS staff not "WFH"?

imtommygunn

Someone told me they read an article saying 5% of Belfast city centre is back in the office. That's low.

Kidder81

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 03, 2020, 09:46:31 PM
Someone told me they read an article saying 5% of Belfast city centre is back in the office. That's low.

Was on bbc the other day, not entirely accurate. People are doing a combination of WFH and in the office so it's higher than that

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Bring the jobs to Derry. We will work through anything.. see if I see another job announcement for Belfast I'm going to go all scrappy doo  ;)

tintin25

No doubt you'll get the odd chancer doing sweet fa whilst WFH, although why would anyone be in a rush back to places like the city centre if you can do your job at home?  I'm getting back 2 hours in my day and saving on the commute.  Companies are going to have to show some degree of flexibility

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: tintin25 on September 03, 2020, 10:22:10 PM
No doubt you'll get the odd chancer doing sweet fa whilst WFH, although why would anyone be in a rush back to places like the city centre if you can do your job at home?  I'm getting back 2 hours in my day and saving on the commute.  Companies are going to have to show some degree of flexibility

Agreed

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: tintin25 on September 03, 2020, 10:22:10 PM

The trend was that way anyway. Covid obviously accelerated it, but most companies want you at home so they can downsize the offices

Tony Baloney

Quote from: hardstation on September 03, 2020, 10:37:30 PM
Because we have to get back to normal. Why should shopkeepers, nurses, doctors & teachers have to go to work but you lazy feckers don't? People are happy to send their kids into packed schools but daren't dream about returning to their own workplaces. Scandalous. I thought we were all in this together. You are taking advantage of a global pandemic to suit your own lazy little needs. You should be ashamed.

Or at least, that's the type of shite other people had thrown at them when they raised back to work concerns.
It's the f**king GPs that need a slap. The NHS has got on with it but they have cowered under a rock and only come out to look at a photo of somebody's sore throat. Useless hoors.

Dougal Maguire

Because we have to get back to normal. Why should shopkeepers, nurses, doctors & teachers have to go to work but you lazy feckers don't? People are happy to send their kids into packed schools but daren't dream about returning to their own workplaces. Scandalous. I thought we were all in this together. You are taking advantage of a global pandemic to suit your own lazy little needs. You should be ashamed.

Or at least, that's the type of shite other people had thrown at them when they raised back to work concerns.
That's an unbelievable statement. Who are the lazy feckers you're referring to?  There's any amount of evidence to demonstrate that people wfh are now more productive than when they were office based. What evidence do you have to support the lazy feckers argument?  What do you work at? Are you working from home? Are you a lazy fecker?
Careful now

ONeill

Went head your over that straight
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

seafoid

https://www.ft.com/content/29ce53cb-ce91-4173-adbb-6c815339e35d

The English Premier League faces a coronavirus-related shortfall of more than half a billion pounds next season, in findings that lend fresh urgency to negotiations between the sport's officials and government ministers over allowing fans to return to stadiums. 

According to figures collated by Premier League officials and seen by the Financial Times, the 20 member teams in English football's top tier are facing £540m in lost income next season under plans to allow only the partial reopening of grounds from October. 

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/pro14/leinster-the-biggest-losers-as-empty-stadiums-mean-a-huge-financial-hit-1.4345966
Leinster the biggest losers as empty stadiums mean a huge financial hit
Absence of fans for Munster and Saracens games will see province deprived of over €2m
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

themac_23

Quote from: hardstation on September 04, 2020, 06:45:00 AM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on September 04, 2020, 12:09:38 AM

That's an unbelievable statement. Who are the lazy feckers you're referring to?  There's any amount of evidence to demonstrate that people wfh are now more productive than when they were office based. What evidence do you have to support the lazy feckers argument?  What do you work at? Are you working from home? Are you a lazy fecker?
I thought you had turned a corner with the "late night" posts. Read the last line again. It may indicate that I don't actually believe the other stuff I wrote but was simply pointing out what bollix people were throwing about when others raised any concerns about returning to their workplaces.

im torn on the WFH thing, I've worked from home a few days the last few years and its never caused me a problem, in fact, an awful lot of jobs can be done from home with a phone and a laptop no bother, cuts down on a lot of headaches for parents with regards dropping kids to school etc in the mornings, throw them round to school and you're still ready to rock at the computer before 9. I think the issue is the knock on effect, the WFH works well for those who can, but what im seeing and hearing is big companies are planning to let people work from home, run down current leases on expensive city centre offices and going smaller, fair enough. the knock on of that is small shops, coffee shops etc who rely totally on the footfall then have their customer base wiped out. I dunno what the answer is but there's gonna be collateral damage after this and I just hope people who have to shut up shop are able to get jobs elsewhere.

imtommygunn

I would say a lot of the sandwich shops will end up going. Coffee shops maybe too. West was the best place in Belfast city centre and is already gone which is a real pity. You'd have to imagine public transport will take a big hit too - sure who will go on a bus these days. It definitely will have a knock on but I guess more scope for other businesses elsewhere. I would say it will allow people to live in remoter areas rather than needing to live in a city too which would be a good thing.

highorlow

Marc MacSharry is a loudmouth and it's not often I agree with him but he is right on this occasion.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/authoritarian-and-unnecessary-backlash-as-pubs-and-restaurants-told-to-keep-record-of-all-orders-39502663.html

The Gov propaganda is moving towards the economy and risk now aka last nights prime time. This risk debate ought to have happened 6 weeks ago. Treating the citizens like children for a prolonged period was never going to work.

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 04, 2020, 09:14:31 AM
I would say a lot of the sandwich shops will end up going. Coffee shops maybe too. West was the best place in Belfast city centre and is already gone which is a real pity. You'd have to imagine public transport will take a big hit too - sure who will go on a bus these days. It definitely will have a knock on but I guess more scope for other businesses elsewhere. I would say it will allow people to live in remoter areas rather than needing to live in a city too which would be a good thing.

500-600 people in our building in Belfast city centre and we only have to go back a minuimum of one day a week. And this is permanent. Ive two young children and this suits me down to the ground although I enjoy being based in the city centre, among the shops and bars etc.
Alot of people with no kids/family itching to get back into the office.
(side note I think there is a hotel being built above West and all shops below had their tenants agreements revoked. Primark fire didn't do it any favour either. Tesco flagship store in belfast also closing down.)
Retail in the city centre was already flat-lining pre covid so who knows whats going to be left in next few years? Discount stores and vaping shops.