Premier League 2023-2024

Started by Dire Ear, July 31, 2022, 12:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrotherMore6592

Or in spurs case you lose, gain false hope and repeat

general_lee

Gareth Bale has retired at 33.
Bit of a shame, I thought he might have a couple more years in him.

Armagh18

Quote from: general_lee on January 09, 2023, 04:03:32 PM
as good as anyone at his best, unstoppable at times, just never had the attitude of likes of Ronaldo or Messi to look after himself and prolong his career. Still won it all with Real and got Wales some priceless moments as well. Managed to milk millions out of Madrid for a few years as well.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 09, 2023, 04:07:37 PM
as good as anyone at his best, unstoppable at times, just never had the attitude of likes of Ronaldo or Messi to look after himself and prolong his career. Still won it all with Real and got Wales some priceless moments as well. Managed to milk millions out of Madrid for a few years as well.

You'd think being at Real Madrid the same time as Ronaldo would have affected his time there. Both like to be the  main man.

NAG1

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 09, 2023, 04:21:43 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on January 09, 2023, 04:07:37 PM

You'd think being at Real Madrid the same time as Ronaldo would have affected his time there. Both like to be the  main man.

Managed to score massive goals in significant games, seemed to keep him relevant even when he was dwindling.

rodney trotter

He was brilliant in the first couple of years at Madrid under
Ancelotti.
Then was constantly injured under Zidane ,but scored the overhead against Liverpool

Armagh18

Quote from: rodney trotter on January 09, 2023, 04:35:01 PM
Ancelotti.
Then was constantly injured under Zidane ,but scored the overhead against Liverpool
probably the best goal ever

AustinPowers

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 09, 2023, 05:18:47 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on January 09, 2023, 04:35:01 PM
Ancelotti.
probably the best goal ever

Zlatan 's v England  was better I thought

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=weViOPghw1w

seafoid

Dragged Wales to the World Cup. Won x Champions League medals. He's probably retiring because of accumulated injuries.
Wales, greatest ever player, I imagine.

mrdeeds

Quote from: seafoid on January 09, 2023, 06:15:13 PM
Dragged Wales to the World Cup. Won x Champions League medals. He's probably retiring because of accumulated injuries.

Him or John Charles.

square_ball

Only because he's managed in the premier league I'll post it in this thread, but how in under God has Roberto Martinez landed another big international job?

From the Bunker

Quote from: mrdeeds on January 09, 2023, 07:28:39 PM

Him or John Charles.

Ryan Giggs would deserve a mention, but he tended to be less committed to the Welsh cause. Plus his personal life has greatly shaded his achievements and his stature.

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 09, 2023, 08:10:27 PM
Quote from: mrdeeds on January 09, 2023, 07:28:39 PM

Him or John Charles.

Ryan Giggs would deserve a mention, but he tended to be less committed to the Welsh cause. Plus his personal life has greatly shaded his achievements and his stature.
I was thinking the same.

rodney trotter

Giggs seemed to have better players around him when he was playing with Wales, but they were never near qualification. Mark Hughes,Ian Rush, Gary Speed, Neville Southhall.

Bale was outstanding in the qualifiers and at Euro 16. He led them to Euro 20 and the World Cup. He had a poor World Cup maybe the retirement was on his mind before then

shark

Quote from: rodney trotter on January 09, 2023, 08:37:28 PM
Giggs seemed to have better players around him when he was playing with Wales, but they were never near qualification. Mark Hughes,Ian Rush, Gary Speed, Neville Southhall.

Bale was outstanding in the qualifiers and at Euro 16. He led them to Euro 20 and the World Cup. He had a poor World Cup maybe the retirement was on his mind before then

They were near enough for USA 94. Still had a shot going in to last game , but lost at home to Romania.