Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Is Div 2 two up and two down ?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Sweeper 123

Hear there was an incident with the ref last night at the Div2 match  between Armoy V Sarsfields;

Jesusjones

Quote from: Sweeper 123 on August 09, 2018, 08:52:53 PM
Hear there was an incident with the ref last night at the Div2 match  between Armoy V Sarsfields;

Care to elaborate?

Sweeper 123

Unfortunately was not at the match myself so not sure of exactly what occured but apparently the ref was man handled

cfclg

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 08, 2018, 09:20:14 PM
Quote from: Minder on August 08, 2018, 09:19:21 PM

Yes

I would prefer to see the leagues be one up and one down. It makes the whole thing too fluid from season to season. As long as there is no further tinkering to the leagues, one up and one down would work ok I think. Any thoughts?

johnnycool

Quote from: cfclg on August 10, 2018, 10:27:02 AM

Yes

I would prefer to see the leagues be one up and one down. It makes the whole thing too fluid from season to season. As long as there is no further tinkering to the leagues, one up and one down would work ok I think. Any thoughts?

I'd vote for that..  ;)

Seriously though there's not a whole pile wrong with 2 up two down as it gives a lot more to play for at the bottom of Div1 and the top of Div2 and so on and so forth.

Although I did hear of a St Galls player joking that they needed to lose a few games in case they got promoted!!

NAG1

Quote from: johnnycool on August 10, 2018, 10:35:36 AM

Yes

I'd vote for that..  ;)

Seriously though there's not a whole pile wrong with 2 up two down as it gives a lot more to play for at the bottom of Div1 and the top of Div2 and so on and so forth.

Although I did hear of a St Galls player joking that they needed to lose a few games in case they got promoted!!

Pretty much sums them up.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NAG1 on August 10, 2018, 10:55:31 AM

Yes

I'd vote for that..  ;)

Feck aff NAG! Thats an interesting thought NAG about how you think of us at St Galls. Must remember that
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NAG1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 10, 2018, 11:00:27 AM

Yes

I'd vote for that..  ;)

Feck aff NAG! Thats an interesting thought NAG about how you think of us at St Galls. Must remember that

Tell me I am wrong MR2, a club with talented hurlers for the past 10/15 years yet, unwilling or unable to put the effort in so happy to be where you are div 2 where you can be comfortable, nobody pushing you too hard in the comfort zone so to speak.

Should be more than capable of being competitive in div 1 with a bit of work.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NAG1 on August 10, 2018, 11:22:55 AM

Yes

I'd vote for that..  ;)

Tell me I am wrong MR2, a club with talented hurlers for the past 10/15 years yet, unwilling or unable to put the effort in so happy to be where you are div 2 where you can be comfortable, nobody pushing you too hard in the comfort zone so to speak.

You're wrong, we are a dual club with a knack of winning football championships and that's were a lot of our kids seem to favour.

We don't have the fortunate position of concentrating solely on hurling. Now if you'd have asked someone on this thread who knows something about St Galls hurling, you'd get a proper reply, Johnny jokingly put his post up.

I was chatting to a senior player the other day and said 'we are in danger of going up!' But in all seriousness I asked are you going to give it another last as the vast majority are 33,34 years old! We've about 4 younger lads but outside of our best 15, we'd struggle. Be couple years before we bring anything to senior.

But the lads on the team are winners, there's no danger that when they step over the line they are looking to lose, nor is Culbert who's managing them would be looking for also

cfclg

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 10, 2018, 12:02:24 PM

Yes

I'd vote for that..  ;)

You're wrong, we are a dual club with a knack of winning football championships and that's were a lot of our kids seem to favour.

We don't have the fortunate position of concentrating solely on hurling. Now if you'd have asked someone on this thread who knows something about St Galls hurling, you'd get a proper reply, Johnny jokingly put his post up.

I was chatting to a senior player the other day and said 'we are in danger of going up!' But in all seriousness I asked are you going to give it another last as the vast majority are 33,34 years old! We've about 4 younger lads but outside of our best 15, we'd struggle. Be couple years before we bring anything to senior.

But the lads on the team are winners, there's no danger that when they step over the line they are looking to lose, nor is Culbert who's managing them would be looking for also

I'd say st galls aren't alone with those thoughts in division 2. There are a few other teams that have no interest in going upto div 1 as they know themselves it would be foolish.

NAG1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 10, 2018, 12:02:24 PM

Yes

I'd vote for that..  ;)

My point wasnt solely down to Johnny's jokey comment, it is more of a malaise really and I agree with you on the age profile of the squad. My point is that the same type of attitude existed when these guys were in their mid-twenties.

I get the dual club aspect and I know there is a push back on there with the football, but point is still valid that maybe the eye went off the ball for a while in the development if only 4 younger lads are now on the squad.

It's a difficulty across the city unfortunately. Wasnt a lament aimed solely at St Galls.

Milltown Row2

Was never a time that I was at the club playing that we didnt want to be in the top divisons, I played on that team from the age of 16 through to 40 (odds), was never a moment that I can recall that we didn't try and win Div 2.. I simply wouldnt allow it nor hear any talk of it, we've winners all over that particular team, not in their DNA to lose a game on purpose.. I even joked with the player the other day that I'd need to get the hurl out again and get ready for the reserve league next season!

I get taking our eye off the ball but to be fair to the lads that are looking after the hurling side of things its not been down to a lack of effort on their behalf or the great support we have from parents.. we as a club just havent performed lately to a level in all codes at all levels and we need to address that.. I'm sure its something that the club is very much aware of..

For us, and I'm sure Rossa and the Johnnies are proud of, is having a team that is competing in both codes at the top table and pushing for titles at either code, think we were the last Belfast team to be at a final in both codes in the same year, lacking ambition isnt a problem... Getting the right balance? well we can't do it all..

I could lambast Cushendalls poor showing at under 21 and say you have taken the eye off the ball there but I know, eventually you'll get it right

Jesusjones

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 10, 2018, 12:38:59 PM
Was never a time that I was at the club playing that we didnt want to be in the top divisons, I played on that team from the age of 16 through to 40 (odds), was never a moment that I can recall that we didn't try and win Div 2.. I simply wouldnt allow it nor hear any talk of it, we've winners all over that particular team, not in their DNA to lose a game on purpose.. I even joked with the player the other day that I'd need to get the hurl out again and get ready for the reserve league next season!

I get taking our eye off the ball but to be fair to the lads that are looking after the hurling side of things its not been down to a lack of effort on their behalf or the great support we have from parents.. we as a club just havent performed lately to a level in all codes at all levels and we need to address that.. I'm sure its something that the club is very much aware of..

For us, and I'm sure Rossa and the Johnnies are proud of, is having a team that is competing in both codes at the top table and pushing for titles at either code, think we were the last Belfast team to be at a final in both codes in the same year, lacking ambition isnt a problem... Getting the right balance? well we can't do it all..

I could lambast Cushendalls poor showing at under 21 and say you have taken the eye off the ball there but I know, eventually you'll get it right

We do alright as far as senior championships go MR2. In fact since we won our first in 81 we've won more than anyone else. It's nice to win a minor or an under 21 championship but it's a bonus. Bring 1 or 2 players through each year for senior is what you need to do. If you are honest MR2 there was a senior hurling championship in St. Galls over the last 10 years for sure. We robbed you over in Loughgiel a few years ago with an injury time goal in a semi final. Think it was the same year you beat Dunloy after a replay.