2018 O'Byrne Cup

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, November 16, 2017, 01:29:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: Don Draper on January 09, 2018, 11:13:08 AM
Quote from: BallyroanAbu on January 09, 2018, 11:10:11 AM
In theory your right, of course every player should want to play for Laois.   But Culture is an intangible,  It could take 5-10 years to implement a culture and just as likely you may not succeed.  Managers are in the business of results.   Many of you may not agree but Donie Kingston for the last 2-3 years has held Laois together and because he has become disillusioned he left.  Is this not an indictment of previous set ups ?  John Sugrue in my opinion must try to persuade Kingston back in regardless of culture and what other players may think.  He simply must be persuaded and if things are as good or as positive as they seem to be he then may buy into the setup.  One place he is not going to buy into the setup is on the couch watching T.V.
You believe he hasn't tried?

You believe he won't try again?

A lot of assumptions there.

Never said that, I do worry with Donie that the longer he stays out the more likely he stays out.  Hopefully this all becomes airy fairy talk and Donie announces a return to the panel as soon as.

Laoisguy

UCD Wednesday in Portlaoise(don't know where presume centre of excellence) and DIT Friday(no location so far)

Tony

If Donie comes back it'll be Donie's doing and nobody else's. Of course Sugrue wants him there and has tried to get him back. There's only so much you can do though, so I really don't get behind this "it will be the first test for Sugrue" kind of talk. No it's not. If Donie doesn't come back, Sugrue hasn't failed that test. Donie's out for his own personal reasons but the door is open and nobody is blocking it.

We need lads with desire to play for Laois and that's the main foundation we can go on. Any word about Cahir Healy? I know he was riddled with injuries but would love to see him back at some point as he's only got 3-4 years in him as an inter county player. Would love to see him back with the footballers (and hurlers if possible) for himself mainly, as your playing career is very short. Fully fit, Cahir is one of the best defenders in Leinster, in my opinion.

BallyroanAbu

Tony I see where your coming from, however what are our chances of success without Donie ?  It's all well and good talking about desire.  But being competitive and winning fuels that desire.  If we go out and are beaten with regularity it will not do anything for squad morale.  Personally I do think a certain part of a managers job is getting the maximum out of the resources available to you.   Sugrue is unlucky that Donie has decided to do this but part of his job in my view is to get him back into a Laois Jersey.  Without Donie it makes Sugrues job that much harder, Sugrue may well prove that he can negotiate this hurdle without Donie but that is for the future.

The Monument Road

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on January 09, 2018, 05:18:07 PM
Tony I see where your coming from, however what are our chances of success without Donie ?  It's all well and good talking about desire.  But being competitive and winning fuels that desire.  If we go out and are beaten with regularity it will not do anything for squad morale.  Personally I do think a certain part of a managers job is getting the maximum out of the resources available to you.   Sugrue is unlucky that Donie has decided to do this but part of his job in my view is to get him back into a Laois Jersey.  Without Donie it makes Sugrues job that much harder, Sugrue may well prove that he can negotiate this hurdle without Donie but that is for the future.
Laois need Donie back end of, but if he isnt coming back is that a failure on Sugres part, I dont think so. Im sure he has tried but he cannot force him back, Thats up to Donie himself. My own feelings are as follows.  Donie saw what Sugrue expects from anyone who wants to play for laois, that is training 5 nights etc a week and Donie was never a fan of that type of regime.

portlaoisekid

If Donie doesn't want to play that's fine, its his life and has every right not to play.

The pity about Donie is, albeit a very good footballer and is our best forward by a distance, he never reached his potential and never will unfortunately. He could have been one of the top forwards in Ireland.

Don Draper

Quote from: portlaoisekid on January 10, 2018, 08:37:58 AM
If Donie doesn't want to play that's fine, its his life and has every right not to play.

The pity about Donie is, albeit a very good footballer and is our best forward by a distance, he never reached his potential and never will unfortunately. He could have been one of the top forwards in Ireland.
Agreed.

Laoiseabu

He already was one of the top fowards in Ireland. Just didn't get enough recognition cause he's from Laois not Kerry Mayo or Dublin

portlaoisekid

I disagree, he is very good yes but he is only a top forward in potential only.

At the top level his conditioning lets him down, of course he is fit but not an athlete. If he was under the conditioning programme of Dublin, Kerry or Mayo he would a top player IMO. In saying that no Laois player has that level of conditioning but Donie has so much to gain from that level of conditioning.

In all this I'm not giving out about the lad, he is very good and I'd love him back in with Laois but its frustrating when there is genuinely so much more to come from him.

Laoisguy

Big fish in small pond

Very good player but would his attitude cut it in with the big boys...not a chance

I don't think John Sugrue will take a lazy mè fèin attitude that's the vibe I'm getting anyway

Don Draper

Quote from: Laoiseabu on January 10, 2018, 11:46:42 AM
He already was one of the top fowards in Ireland. Just didn't get enough recognition cause he's from Laois not Kerry Mayo or Dublin
Had the potential to be. We all wanted him to be. He was badly served by managers for a while, but he didn't do himself any favours. Bordering on what could have been at this point. On his day unplayable. He should have been Michael Murphy.

Laoiseabu

Okay okay I want someone to answer this ? Donie Kingston plays for Dublin , he is focused , committed,motivated and wants to win. He is conditioned to the highest level and so are his teammates .Is he the best full foward in the country now?? I know he is .

Butch Cassidy

If Donie is reading this forum, some of the comments won't encourage him to come back!!

Donie is head and shoulders above anyone forward we have in this county ar present. Hopefully we will see him in the blue and white soon as he would do serious damage in division 4 if we play to his strengths.

Hopefully Paul is in his ear giving him encouragement to come back as we need every player available to try get out of division 4. It won't be a cake walk unless everyone is mentally and physically ready.

Don Draper

Quote from: Laoiseabu on January 10, 2018, 04:14:32 PM
Okay okay I want someone to answer this ? Donie Kingston plays for Dublin , he is focused , committed,motivated and wants to win. He is conditioned to the highest level and so are his teammates .Is he the best full foward in the country now?? I know he is .
No, Michael Murphy is.

Giovanni

Quote from: Laoiseabu on January 10, 2018, 04:14:32 PM

If he was "focused, committed, motivated, wants to win, highly conditioned and playing with highly conditioned team mates", I doubt Laois would be in Division 4 now. That's where we are and it was last year's team with Donie that got us there (admittedly with some indisciplined team mates). Donie was a leader in a losing team.

This is not to denigrate his efforts. Last season must surely be hurting. But if you're a leader, you come back and make sure that the mistakes of last year are not repeated. He shares some responsibility for last year's debacle (with all of the other players and management). I would like to see him take the opportunity of this year's campaign to show what he's really capable of (and to lead Laois football into some form of respectability).