Thread for Tony Fearon to to pontificate about Catholicism

Started by heganboy, September 12, 2017, 01:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Gs Man

Laoislad, If I hadn't consciously re-opened this thread and read your comment, it wouldn't exist anywhere outside of my mind.
Keep 'er lit

T Fearon

My belief is also instinctive.Who created the World.Science tells us how but not why.Unlike a lot of posters here I am very comfortable with it.

Esmarelda

Quote from: T Fearon on September 19, 2017, 04:01:44 PM
My belief is also instinctive.Who created the World.Science tells us how but not why.Unlike a lot of posters here I am very comfortable with it.
Comfortable with what?

laoislad

Quote from: The Gs Man on September 19, 2017, 03:40:17 PM
Laoislad, If I hadn't consciously re-opened this thread and read your comment, it wouldn't exist anywhere outside of my mind.

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

T Fearon

Comfortable and entirely happy with my faith.No desire to argue with or ridicule others who don't share this belief

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: T Fearon on September 19, 2017, 08:20:55 PM
Comfortable and entirely happy with my faith.No desire to argue with or ridicule others who don't share this belief

Bore them to a premature death instead though?

michaelg

To be fair, you are quite happy to judge and discriminate against those people who don't share your belief.

T Fearon

I am only explaining the basic core beliefs of all Christian Churches and the basic of all is to actually believe in him

The Gs Man

Quote from: michaelg on September 19, 2017, 10:13:53 PM
To be fair, you are quite happy to judge and discriminate against those people who don't share your belief.

Amen to that....
Keep 'er lit

Esmarelda

Quote from: T Fearon on September 19, 2017, 10:30:08 PM
I am only explaining the basic core beliefs of all Christian Churches and the basic of all is to actually believe in him
You believe in him in part because you don't want to take the risk of eternal hell. That is not faith in my book.

T Fearon

What is wrong with that? I also belive in him because I want the bliss of heaven.

J70

Quote from: T Fearon on September 20, 2017, 10:42:47 AM
What is wrong with that? I also belive in him because I want the bliss of heaven.

If there's nothing wrong with it, then there's nothing particularly right about it either. You're (supposedly) trading faith for a reward/avoidance of penalty. I don't see such a quid quo pro arrangement as noble nor is the narcissistic alleged being who would offer and reward such a consequential bargain based in such a trivial judgement worthy of any admiration.

And of course that all presupposes that you can " choose" to believe.

Esmarelda

Quote from: J70 on September 20, 2017, 11:01:07 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on September 20, 2017, 10:42:47 AM

If there's nothing wrong with it, then there's nothing particularly right about it either. You're (supposedly) trading faith for a reward/avoidance of penalty. I don't see such a quid quo pro arrangement as noble nor is the narcissistic alleged being who would offer and reward such a consequential bargain based in such a trivial judgement worthy of any admiration.

And of course that all presupposes that you can " choose" to believe.
Exactly.

If I believe in something here on earth, like a particular charity, it's because I can see the good that it does and I believe from what I've seen that my money will result in, what I perceive to be, good being done.

Fearon's faith is based on fear of the alternative.

They worrying thing for him is that an all-knowing God may see things as I do and send him downstairs with the rest of us for his complete missing of the point.

T Fearon

I believe if I commit murder I will be jailed for a substantial period.It is a deterrent.Similarly I believe in God's Laws (Commandments) because I believe he exists in the first place,and by abiding by his laws I will have a good eternity.But this will be won primarily due to my belief in him in the first place.

Esmarelda

Quote from: T Fearon on September 20, 2017, 12:04:55 PM
I believe if I commit murder I will be jailed for a substantial period.It is a deterrent.Similarly I believe in God's Laws (Commandments) because I believe he exists in the first place,and by abiding by his laws I will have a good eternity.But this will be won primarily due to my belief in him in the first place.
How many steps back there did you just take. Let me just quote you again; "Risking a lost eternity through non belief? I would never be brave enough to take that risk."

Not being brave suggests fear. I fear a lost eternity and therefore I "believe". In fairness, it's a completely reasonable explanation. It doesn't matter if you admit it or not, God already knows.