North Korea Crisis

Started by AbbeySider, May 29, 2009, 02:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeoMc

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 15, 2017, 10:51:11 AM
I don't think the Chinese would allow Trump go in unilaterally. If he does, there'll be consequences in Beijing.

I think the Chinese have already said as much. The US cannot make a pre-emptive nuclear  strike without falling out with China.
The NK military is too large to make a conventional war palatable. I read somewhere that it would take 2 days of constant bombardment just to take out the NK missile batteries on the border. Seoul would be decimated in the re-loading time.
The Chinese still see NK as a buffer between them and the US-centric SK but unfortunately are saddled with an unstable puppet.
Increased sanctions will not work as KJI would let his people starve to feed the military and blame the west.

The Chinese proposal, similar to the NK proposal is that the US and SK back off on their war games on the border. NK which is technically still at war, sees these as aggressive and cover for the planned recommencement of hostilities.

stew

Quote from: LeoMc on September 15, 2017, 11:27:51 AM
I don't think the Chinese would allow Trump go in unilaterally. If he does, there'll be consequences in Beijing.

I think the Chinese have already said as much. The US cannot make a pre-emptive nuclear  strike without falling out with China.
The NK military is too large to make a conventional war palatable. I read somewhere that it would take 2 days of constant bombardment just to take out the NK missile batteries on the border. Seoul would be decimated in the re-loading time.
The Chinese still see NK as a buffer between them and the US-centric SK but unfortunately are saddled with an unstable puppet.
Increased sanctions will not work as KJI would let his people starve to feed the military and blame the west.

The Chinese proposal, similar to the NK proposal is that the US and SK back off on their war games on the border. NK which is technically still at war, sees these as aggressive and cover for the planned recommencement of hostilities.

In other words, the yanks need to back off, as do the south Koreans and the north concede nothing? Is that it? That is not going to work.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

LeoMc

Quote from: stew on September 15, 2017, 11:37:58 AM
Quote from: LeoMc on September 15, 2017, 11:27:51 AM

In other words, the yanks need to back off, as do the south Koreans and the north concede nothing? Is that it? That is not going to work.

No. The proposal was the US & SK back off. NK suspend their nuclear development.

seafoid

It reminds me of a Loyalist/ republican feud in Belfast during the troubles. Mad dog McKim is terrorising the Shankill / the Falls again. The RUC can do nothing.

Mad Dog Adair died young
So did Mad dog McGlinchey
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Jell 0 Biafra

Here's some historical context to the issue, giving the North Korean rationale, going back to the Korean war:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-us-war-crime-north-korea-wont-forget/2015/03/20/fb525694-ce80-11e4-8c54-ffb5ba6f2f69_story.html?utm_term=.cdda99c0eb01

And here's some stuff on the annual war games that the US holds, which apparently involve a "decapitation unit" for taking out the North Korean leader.   

http://epaper.bostonglobe.com/BostonGlobe/article_popover.aspx?guid=4f38ec2c-f2a6-407f-84be-4e2921d2298b&source=next

stew

Quote from: hardstation on September 15, 2017, 05:54:50 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 15, 2017, 12:20:36 PM
It reminds me of a Loyalist/ republican feud in Belfast during the troubles. Mad dog McKim is terrorising the Shankill / the Falls again. The RUC can do nothing.

Mad Dog Adair died young
So did Mad dog McGlinchey
Apart from your post being entirely WTF, I would just like to point out that Mad Dog Adair is still alive.

:)

stew

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on September 15, 2017, 03:00:50 PM
Here's some historical context to the issue, giving the North Korean rationale, going back to the Korean war:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-us-war-crime-north-korea-wont-forget/2015/03/20/fb525694-ce80-11e4-8c54-ffb5ba6f2f69_story.html?utm_term=.cdda99c0eb01

And here's some stuff on the annual war games that the US holds, which apparently involve a "decapitation unit" for taking out the North Korean leader.   

I have been reading about this, I read that the decapitation crowd were South Koreans.

http://epaper.bostonglobe.com/BostonGlobe/article_popover.aspx?guid=4f38ec2c-f2a6-407f-84be-4e2921d2298b&source=next

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: stew on September 15, 2017, 09:37:10 PM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on September 15, 2017, 03:00:50 PM

I have been reading about this, I read that the decapitation crowd were South Koreans.

You're right.  The US do annual wargames, but the so called decapitation squad is S.Korean.

vallankumous

Quote from: AbbeySider on May 29, 2009, 02:47:25 PM
I have been following this one for a while. So far they have tested 2 atomic bombs and this is the seventh missile test.
Extremely aggressive behaviour and they look to be on the brink of an attack against South Korea.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/north-korea-testfires-shortrange-missile-412804.html#ixzz0Gu3ArILR&B

Where did they test these atomic bombs?

omaghjoe

Id say that Kim Jong thingy is perfectly sane.
Acquiring a nuclear arsenal is a perfectly sensible thing to do in the interest of staving off regime toppling invasions and in the medium term it will give him added diplomatic clout.
The irony of course is that he had protection anyway considering his border with Russia and China but with a thermonuclear device on the head of a ICBM in his weaponry he is causing more than a diplomatic stir which will lead him open to a (ahem) quiet regime change from "within".

I'm seriously suspicious about his speed of attaining all this technology tho. There is obiviously assistance ,just a question of is it orchestrated by China or even Russia to cause instability.

vallankumous

Quote from: omaghjoe on September 16, 2017, 08:40:32 AM
Acquiring a nuclear arsenal is a perfectly sensible thing to do in the interest of staving off regime toppling invasions and in the medium term it will give him added diplomatic clout.
The irony of course is that he had protection anyway considering his border with Russia and China but with a thermonuclear device on the head of a ICBM in his weaponry he is causing more than a diplomatic stir which will lead him open to a (ahem) quiet regime change from "within".

I'm seriously suspicious about his speed of attaining all this technology tho. There is obiviously assistance ,just a question of is it orchestrated by China or even Russia to cause instability.

If they (particularly China) want nuke missiles in North Korea they'd just put them there. If they didn't want them there they'd stop any progression towards the North Koreans doing it themselves.
The US were planting missiles in locations around the world in 1962 and Russia were doing the same (funny it's remembered as the Cuban Missile Crisis).
That's 55 years ago.
There's nothing new or preventable here.

Dougal Maguire

Whilst I'm no fan, I can see where Kim is coming from. It would seem pretty simple really. In countries where the US doesn't like the leader and where there was no nuclear capability the US either directly or indirectly facilitated regime change. In those that have nukes - Iran and NK they haven't. Putin intervened in Iran and its his rhetoric that's saving things here too.
Careful now

stew

Id say you are completely an utterly wrong Joe, but that's me!

Any leader who starves his people, who denies them basic human rights and any leader who spends over 90% of his nations budget on the military is a complete and utter wing nut! The man is trying to push the world to the edge of nuclear war and of he f**k with that other lunaticto the west his country will get flattened beyond repair, hows that for sanity Joe?

sid waddell

Quote from: vallankumous on September 16, 2017, 08:03:13 AM
Quote from: AbbeySider on May 29, 2009, 02:47:25 PM
I have been following this one for a while. So far they have tested 2 atomic bombs and this is the seventh missile test.
Extremely aggressive behaviour and they look to be on the brink of an attack against South Korea.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/north-korea-testfires-shortrange-missile-412804.html#ixzz0Gu3ArILR&B

Where did they test these atomic bombs?
On page 4 of this thread.

J70

Quote from: stew on September 16, 2017, 11:04:59 AM

Id say you are completely an utterly wrong Joe, but that's me!

Any leader who starves his people, who denies them basic human rights and any leader who spends over 90% of his nations budget on the military is a complete and utter wing nut! The man is trying to push the world to the edge of nuclear war and of he f**k with that other lunaticto the west his country will get flattened beyond repair, hows that for sanity Joe?

He can be both stew.

His brutality and callousness with respect to his own people (and family!) don't negate the strategic soundness of raising the potential costs of foreign intervention against his regime to utterly ruinous.