Longford v Tyrone - Qualifiers Round 2 - 9 July 2011

Started by Shamrock Shore, June 26, 2011, 08:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Quote from: Redhand Santa on July 10, 2011, 03:37:53 PM
Decent performance and goood to get the win. Good displays from Ricey,Jordan,Cassidy,Colm Cavanagh (were have his critics from last year gone??) and Harte. Not convinced with Carlin and definately don't think Coney is ready to start. Penrose must have lost out on 5 or 6 balls trying to stand behind his man waiting on the ball.

Brian McGuigan looks of the pace again, could find himself being used as an impact sub. The draw is crucial now. I've no doubt the team can build from there and continue to improve. Still not convinced they're close to fully fit and the likes of Justy McMahon needs game time. However, the draw is key. Would be worried at this stage if we had to go to Kildare at this stage. Would like an easier game to bring a lot of the guys on.

Can't agree about Coney. For a first championship match at this level, and it is a level he hasn't played at really, he performed well and was instrumental in a few major scores. He was slightly tense perhaps but wasn't it great to see the likes of Mugsy on the bench prepared to take his place if he's underperforming. This is exactly where Tyrone need to be and fair play to Mickey for finally taking that leap.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Gaffer

Quote from: ONeill on July 10, 2011, 11:26:10 PM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on July 10, 2011, 03:37:53 PM
Decent performance and goood to get the win. Good displays from Ricey,Jordan,Cassidy,Colm Cavanagh (were have his critics from last year gone??) and Harte. Not convinced with Carlin and definately don't think Coney is ready to start. Penrose must have lost out on 5 or 6 balls trying to stand behind his man waiting on the ball.

Brian McGuigan looks of the pace again, could find himself being used as an impact sub. The draw is crucial now. I've no doubt the team can build from there and continue to improve. Still not convinced they're close to fully fit and the likes of Justy McMahon needs game time. However, the draw is key. Would be worried at this stage if we had to go to Kildare at this stage. Would like an easier game to bring a lot of the guys on.

Can't agree about Coney. For a first championship match at this level, and it is a level he hasn't played at really, he performed well and was instrumental in a few major scores. He was slightly tense perhaps but wasn't it great to see the likes of Mugsy on the bench prepared to take his place if he's underperforming. This is exactly where Tyrone need to be and fair play to Mickey for finally taking that leap.

Coney def has the balls to take on a shot but put too many wide last night which would have looked spectacular had they gone over.

Will he, however,  begin to convert those attempts as he gains experience in the future .

Could be a mega star for us if he does
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Gaffer on July 10, 2011, 11:42:47 PM
Will he, however,  begin to convert those attempts as he gains experience in the future .

That would be the sincere hope: that he becomes more comfortable at that grade, and eases into the groove.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ONeill

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 11, 2011, 12:06:48 AM
Quote from: Gaffer on July 10, 2011, 11:42:47 PM

That would be the sincere hope: that he becomes more comfortable at that grade, and eases into the groove.

He was having a go; something very few Tyrone forwards did v Monaghan & Donegal. I think Coney initially struggled with the pace of championship football in terms of your marker crawling over you with every ball. He was very alert for Donnelly's goal.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ONeill on July 11, 2011, 12:16:19 AM
He was having a go; something very few Tyrone forwards did v Monaghan & Donegal. I think Coney initially struggled with the pace of championship football in terms of your marker crawling over you with every ball. He was very alert for Donnelly's goal.

That's a good point: at least he had the self-belief to have a go; and I'd say that's right about the pace of this level of football, and with a bit of luck as he becomes more accustomed and inured to it his composure and consequent accuracy will similarly improve.

Shamrock Shore

Why no comment from the Tyrone camp on The Sunday Game after the match? Surely Mickey Harte isn't still carrying a torch for Brian Carthy? Even a few auld platitudes to Longford couldn't have gone amiss. Bad form in my opinion and a wee small stone in my shoe after a good evening's football.

sandwiches_in_the_boot

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 11, 2011, 12:26:22 AM
Quote from: ONeill on July 11, 2011, 12:16:19 AM

That's a good point: at least he had the self-belief to have a go; and I'd say that's right about the pace of this level of football, and with a bit of luck as he becomes more accustomed and inured to it his composure and consequent accuracy will similarly improve.

I'd like to see Tommy McGuigan get a decent run out. Scored a lovely point from out the field at the end. Tyrone need at least 3 forwards able and willing to point from 30-40 yards to cause any bother this year. Confident Coney can click into scoring form.

Getting there...
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

Fuzzman

There seems to be a freshness after that game now that we've been lacking for a while.
Indeed fair play to Mickey (and the injuries he pointed to) for bringing in so many new faces.

I missed Coney's first point but I though he showed well and looked sharp on all bar his shooting. Unlike Donnelly he's not scared to shoot and I hope he gets a run to boost his confidence.
Talking of confidence isn't it amazing what it did to Petey Harte. He got a few scores early on from play and then started to believe in himself again. He was running them rampant in the second half and they weren't expecting that.

I too was delighted to see Cassidy have his best game in a Tyrone shirt I think. His high clean catching was a joy to watch and as a Tyrone man, I think the last time I watched that was from Ciaran Corr back in that NFL final in 1992 against McGilligan and Tohill. Colm Cavanagh too did very well and should hold onto his place.

I was disappointed in Donnelly & Penrose in the first half especially. A lot of ball hit into them was fumbled or they weren't out in front. They did better in the second half but with Donnelly scoring 1.02 I think he'll keep his place for Wicklow.  ;)

I too would like to see Tommy get a wee run in the team to see where he's at. He looked sharp when he came on but he wasn't on for long enough.

All in all I'm happy with our recovery game and a lot more pluses that negatives. I'm particularly happy with dominating MF for the 1st time in ages and if that trend was to continue we will find it a lot easier than always having to depend on turn overs.

Am happy we stayed away from Meath & Kildare in the next round.

omagh_gael

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on July 11, 2011, 12:30:22 AM
Why no comment from the Tyrone camp on The Sunday Game after the match? Surely Mickey Harte isn't still carrying a torch for Brian Carthy? Even a few auld platitudes to Longford couldn't have gone amiss. Bad form in my opinion and a wee small stone in my shoe after a good evening's football.

Think Harte has further issues with RTE separate from Carthy. See the Carthy thread for details.

In today's Irish news Mickey is quoted as saying "Longford played great football and it's a credit to them; Many's a night what they played would have put them through to the next round. Let's face it, Longford were very prolific, I think at one stage they had six points from six attempts; I'd like that any day!"

Fear ón Srath Bán

Qwerty28

Longford gave it their all but just didnt have the power to compee with Tyrone, esp around the middle of the pitch. Tyrone players broke the tackle far too easy on a number of occasions and could have scored one or two more goals.

Great crsdit to Longford though, really put it up to them, not too many sides score 0-15 against such a mean defence and 0-13 of them from play. Overall lots of positives to take from this season and surely Glen Ryan will stay on for another year at this rate.

Fuzzman