Standard of Refs

Started by guevara, July 01, 2023, 07:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giveballaghback

The average supporter knows only about 70% of the rules, knows very few of the technical rules and makes up their own rules to suit their current narrative.

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 06, 2023, 07:54:59 AM
Quote from: ONeill on August 06, 2023, 12:37:56 AM
Is that an unwritten rule....let them have a last attack even though halfway through that attack the time is officially up?

Everyone is different, I personally have two watches going, one I don't stop, the other I stop for injuries and stoppages like subs or if the goal keeper is taking this piss....

Once the stoppage watch hits 30 minutes I generally blow.

There was a match sort of league decider, just before the 30 minutes of the second half the home team won a free, around 35 yards, I said to player you've one play, he played it short fine, that player then passed forward again, all still in that 30 minute time frame, the first backward pass I blew! Watch was 30.25 seconds other watch was 35.25, they lost it saying you can't blow when in a forward position! Where does this mindset come from? Is it coached?

I was lambasted coming off the pitch by supporters

See this is interesting for me MR2. I'd have taken one play to mean until the ball goes dead or possession is lost. Would it be better to say the amount of time the team had?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on August 06, 2023, 04:50:28 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 06, 2023, 07:54:59 AM
Quote from: ONeill on August 06, 2023, 12:37:56 AM
Is that an unwritten rule....let them have a last attack even though halfway through that attack the time is officially up?

Everyone is different, I personally have two watches going, one I don't stop, the other I stop for injuries and stoppages like subs or if the goal keeper is taking this piss....

Once the stoppage watch hits 30 minutes I generally blow.

There was a match sort of league decider, just before the 30 minutes of the second half the home team won a free, around 35 yards, I said to player you've one play, he played it short fine, that player then passed forward again, all still in that 30 minute time frame, the first backward pass I blew! Watch was 30.25 seconds other watch was 35.25, they lost it saying you can't blow when in a forward position! Where does this mindset come from? Is it coached?

I was lambasted coming off the pitch by supporters

See this is interesting for me MR2. I'd have taken one play to mean until the ball goes dead or possession is lost. Would it be better to say the amount of time the team had?

When time is actually up and it's a free I'll say it has to go dead, all the players will know I'll blow. As for one more play, in my post, it was still before the full injury allocated time was up. Some players don't know how long 30 seconds is, or how far 13 meters are, if it's ball dead you could have 10 extra minutes so if they ain't going to attack knowing time is virtually up I'm blowing
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on August 06, 2023, 05:49:53 PM
I'm with Champion on this tbh. His interpretation of "one more play" is the same as mine though it is a massively grey area. Even without taking the piss, some plays could even be a minute longer than others. I think you'd be better giving a time and letting the players decide what they need to do. You could obviously be flexible with a couple of seconds if they are about to shoot or whatever.

I do, it's 30 minutes on my main watch.. if you communicate that to the players they know. If they feel aggrieved that they weren't allowed to work a score that's on them. They'd 60 plus minutes to win or draw a match.

I personally detest time wasting, every stoppage is stopped on the watch.

If it's a free on 30 minutes there's no 'last play' ball goes wide or over, if it's a free before 30 minutes then they have whatever seconds that are left, not working the ball back forward back shite...

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Champion The Wonder Horse

It reminds me a bit of the Donegal - Derry game in 2021, when David Coldrick gave Derry one more play. Until he eventually thought "Fcuk this, it's getting dark and I'm working in the morning."

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on August 06, 2023, 06:39:20 PM
It reminds me a bit of the Donegal - Derry game in 2021, when David Coldrick gave Derry one more play. Until he eventually thought "Fcuk this, it's getting dark and I'm working in the morning."

Yeah and that's probably what he was thinking lol

Gold

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 06, 2023, 03:48:55 PM
This camogie ref here  here  :o Derry 5 catches the balls and gets absolutely flattened - free to Meath.

Thought the penalty changed the game,...... Wouldn't have been given to the team well ahead
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

theticklemister

I have one watch.

I do a tally with a one pen in my hand of added time.

I try and not let the players know how long is left.

I'll say for example "there are two minutes left with injury time"

johnnycool

This camogie ref here  here  :o Derry 5 catches the balls and gets absolutely flattened - free to Meath.

Some strange decisions in relation to this yesterday in all three games...

Biggest one was the Waterford game, Cork girl running with the ball runs straight at a Waterford defender, two of them collide, free in given, Waterford girl gets a yellow.
Not 10 minutes later almost the same thing happens up the other end, Waterford girl running with the ball, collides with the Cork defender both go down, free out to Cork and Waterford girl yellow carded.. The ref had to be wrong in one of them, but wasn't consistent.

The Sunday game girls did pick up on it and Ursula Jacobs interpretation would be the same as mine, the defender is well within their rights to hold their position, it's on the person with the ball to make an attempt to go round them rather than barging/charging..

marty34

Quote from: johnnycool on August 07, 2023, 04:17:05 PM

Some strange decisions in relation to this yesterday in all three games...

Biggest one was the Waterford game, Cork girl running with the ball runs straight at a Waterford defender, two of them collide, free in given, Waterford girl gets a yellow.
Not 10 minutes later almost the same thing happens up the other end, Waterford girl running with the ball, collides with the Cork defender both go down, free out to Cork and Waterford girl yellow carded.. The ref had to be wrong in one of them, but wasn't consistent.

The Sunday game girls did pick up on it and Ursula Jacobs interpretation would be the same as mine, the defender is well within their rights to hold their position, it's on the person with the ball to make an attempt to go round them rather than barging/charging..

Is that not the new rule?

I think they were saying last night that it wasn't a great rule as it was aiding the defender.

The panel last night want it changed.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on August 07, 2023, 05:34:06 PM
That's always been the charging rule. You can't run through someone.

Yeah, can't just literally put the head down and run through someone, and charging also defined but lifting both feet to 'charge' most ref's give it, haven't seen these incidents though

westbound

Question for the refs here, Maybe MR might put me straight?

BEFORE a kick out is taken, can a foul be given for a jersey pull at midfield?

I was always under the impression that the ball had to be in play before a free can be given. But in a game I was attending at the weekend, the ref blew for a foul at midfield BEFORE the goalkeeper kicked the ball out. I thought this was wrong, but I've had look through the rule book since and I can't see anything definite either way. Having read it over the weekend, it appears that the ball is technically 'in play' from when the referee blew his whistle for the kick out to be taken (i.e. after his whistle, but BEFORE the ball is kicked out IS considered to be in play).

What do you think?

Kidder81

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on August 08, 2023, 12:13:05 PM
If the rule was the way you thought it was, the big midfielders would be dragged to the floor just before the ball is kicked out.

Or punched in the face

Milltown Row2

Technically when the ref blows his whistle for a wide or score I don't think he has to blow his whistle again, well I generally don't other than a reminder to hurry up, if the keeper places the ball or addresses the ball, should there be shirt pulling/dragging you can bring the ball out to that position. F the ball is over the fence or keeper is collecting the ball, the ref could yellow card someone if it's a yellow card, but not bringing a free to that point.

Common sense would be to chat to them and let them know you'll bring ball forward

befair

A few weeks ago, a one of our players kicked the ball away after a free had been awarded, and the ref moved the ball up ~40 yds. The opposition scored. Even tho we were penalised, if it's legal, I wish refs would do this more often.