Mayo v Dubs 2 July

Started by The Hill is Blue, June 26, 2023, 05:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

Quote from: seafoid on July 02, 2023, 05:28:14 PM
This year was a rebuilding year for Mayo . A League win and a qf aren't too shabby. They also learnt how to time wins in the round robins.

The Mayo rebuilding was done under Horan in his last few years. McStay and his well stocked management knew this when they took on the job.  The real mess up for Mayo was in the group stage when they should have topped the group after beating Kerry away.  Only beating Louth by 1 point and losing to Cork. It was scoring difference that allowed Cork finish 2nd.

A semi final was probably as far as Mayo would have got though.  No defender/warriors likes Keegan,Boyle,Higgins,Barrett anymore. Midfield light on options now compare to loads of options 2013 to 2017 and while Tommy Conroy,Ryan O'Donoghue are decent forwards they are no Cillian O'Connor and Andy Moran at their peak.

As for Dublin they brought McCaffrey,Cluxton,Mannion back to win another AI and today like Kerry yesterday laid down a marker.

WhoDat

mayo don't have the personnel. their midfield wiped again in croke park.

Fear ón Srath Bán

The Dubs' 2nd half performance was immense I thought -- a clear marker to any of the other pretenders to the AI throne.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

From the Bunker

Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 02, 2023, 06:43:22 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 02, 2023, 05:28:14 PM
This year was a rebuilding year for Mayo . A League win and a qf aren't too shabby. They also learnt how to time wins in the round robins.

The Mayo rebuilding was done under Horan in his last few years. McStay and his well stocked management knew this when they took on the job.  The real mess up for Mayo was in the group stage when they should have topped the group after beating Kerry away.  Only beating Louth by 1 point and losing to Cork. It was scoring difference that allowed Cork finish 2nd.

A semi final was probably as far as Mayo would have got though.  No defender/warriors likes Keegan,Boyle,Higgins,Barrett anymore. Midfield light on options now compare to loads of options 2013 to 2017 and while Tommy Conroy,Ryan O'Donoghue are decent forwards they are no Cillian O'Connor and Andy Moran at their peak.

As for Dublin they brought McCaffrey,Cluxton,Mannion back to win another AI and today like Kerry yesterday laid down a marker.

The damage was done in the Cork game alright. Three games on a row caught up with us. Even so a semi-final was going to be our ceiling.

seafoid

I think there are 2 things

1. The PQF doesn't work in the ultra compressed system. Expecting amateurs to play 2 games in a row and turn  up for a quarter final on the third weekend  fresh as a a daisy is stupid.
There has to be some give on this. Either drop the PQF or give more time to run it.

2. Mayo are in a similar position to Tyrone. Mayo were in 5 out of 6 semi finals during the Dub 6 in a row. It's going to take time for a new team capable of getting back to the top to emerge.

SouthDublinBro

Need to keep Lee Keegan away from any microphones or cameras pls. He is the worst of the lot on analysis and commentary.

From the Bunker

Well done to Dublin. They have came though all their obstacles again.  I do hope they regain their crown. I'd love to see a James McCarthy get AI number 9. He's a super pro. They have got a kind semi-final draw and will well outnumber the Monaghan contingent in their next home game.

Itchy

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 02, 2023, 06:22:13 PM
Quote from: Itchy on July 02, 2023, 06:13:26 PM
I think it's clear now that Mayo are a team in decline. Dubs rolled back the years but I still see Kerry as well ahead of them.

Ah jez, decline? In decline from what? Where were this group to decline from?

In decline from a top 4 team, in decline from a team that was within a kick of the ball of winning sam.

JoG2

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 02, 2023, 08:06:06 PM
Well done to Dublin. They have came though all their obstacles again.  I do hope they regain their crown. I'd love to see a James McCarthy get AI number 9. He's a super pro. They have got a kind semi-final draw and will well outnumber the Monaghan contingent in their next home game.

You'd get the entire population of Monaghan in CP and not have to open the Hill

seafoid

I think they are ready for high babies.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Itchy on July 02, 2023, 08:15:06 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 02, 2023, 06:22:13 PM
Quote from: Itchy on July 02, 2023, 06:13:26 PM
I think it's clear now that Mayo are a team in decline. Dubs rolled back the years but I still see Kerry as well ahead of them.

Ah jez, decline? In decline from what? Where were this group to decline from?

In decline from a top 4 team, in decline from a team that was within a kick of the ball of winning sam.

This group were never a top 4 team or within a kick of winning Sam.

J70

Obstacles.

;D

full moon

I'd give the Mayo supporters massive credit for always turning up in big numbers. The GAA HQ will not want them to fall further away, most other counties support come in nowhere close to same numbers even without winning an Ireland.

The team itself though, we were hearing all year about Mayos depth but there was none today. I also thought they have up so quickly without any fight in them.

Dublin were good but the said thing is that is not close to the Dublin of old and they still waltz into their 14th All Ireland in a row.

From the Bunker

It's great that ''The Curse'' can no longer be used as a plausible excuse for results like today. Small mercies.

imtommygunn

Quote from: full moon on July 02, 2023, 09:35:37 PM
I'd give the Mayo supporters massive credit for always turning up in big numbers. The GAA HQ will not want them to fall further away, most other counties support come in nowhere close to same numbers even without winning an Ireland.

The team itself though, we were hearing all year about Mayos depth but there was none today. I also thought they have up so quickly without any fight in them.

Dublin were good but the said thing is that is not close to the Dublin of old and they still waltz into their 14th All Ireland in a row.

Realistically the talent that Mayo had in those teams that pushed Dublin will take a bit of time to replace. People say they are on the decline but I think they are on the way up. They dropped off last few years. They just will take a while to challenge the best teams again.