Connacht final 2023

Started by An Fhairche Abu, May 02, 2023, 05:22:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giveballaghback

Quote from: seafoid on May 08, 2023, 07:10:19 PM
Quote from: Mano on May 08, 2023, 06:08:49 PM
The game went as expected. We were totally outclassed, Defensively we were clueless, some dreadful individual mistakes. Thankfully Galway had some mercy on us taking 3 fisted points instead if going for goal (Tierney didn't get the memo unfortunately) and taking off some of their better players.  Will the next 3 games be any better - unlikely
Galway are at least a class above the flourbags and the rossies.
A class above the Rossie's; Galway have knocked Mayo off their perch??? Your sounding like David Brady now.

mouview

Quote from: Rossfan on May 09, 2023, 01:01:29 AM
Lord Prenty declared at an early stage the Final was fixed for McHale.
Helping his favourite County pay off their debts.
Sod Sligo or capacity or how many might turn up, look after his own.

It's a long-standing rule though that the final must be played at a neutral venue if (one of the) participating counties, i.e. Sligo or Leitrim, haven't a ground big enough to host final and its expected crowd. Pre-match estimates said that there would be > 15k at the game on Sunday; even as it was, Markiewicz Park would have been well full with Sunday's attendance. There's no point in saying that it could have been held in Sligo, no-one knew in advance what crowd would turn up.

Blowitupref

Quote from: mouview on May 09, 2023, 11:52:58 AM

It's a long-standing rule though that the final must be played at a neutral venue if (one of the) participating counties, i.e. Sligo or Leitrim, haven't a ground big enough to host final and its expected crowd. Pre-match estimates said that there would be > 15k at the game on Sunday; even as it was, Markiewicz Park would have been well full with Sunday's attendance. There's no point in saying that it could have been held in Sligo, no-one knew in advance what crowd would turn up.

No way was 15k the expected crowd for this match up. Last two Sligo v Galway championship games had 5 to 8k in attendance. This was one rare opportunity for Markievicz Park to host a final.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

seafoid

PJ said it was the first Galway 2 in row since 2003.  Most of the intervening 2 decades were very long for Galway football supporters.
On the other hand, Down and Meath are playing Tailteann Cup now.

Rossfan

The CC pre empted any pressure to have it in Marky by announcing the venue some weeks beforehand.
12k in Markievicz would have given some sense of  a major occasion.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

joemamas

Quote from: Rossfan on May 09, 2023, 04:37:04 PM
The CC pre empted any pressure to have it in Marky by announcing the venue some weeks beforehand.
12k in Markievicz would have given some sense of  a major occasion.

Agree 100%, but the GAA and rational decisions do not often occur.

Manning18

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 09, 2023, 04:17:15 PM

No way was 15k the expected crowd for this match up. Last two Sligo v Galway championship games had 5 to 8k in attendance. This was one rare opportunity for Markievicz Park to host a final.

https://www.mayonews.ie/news/gaa/1154235/sligo-venue-not-an-option-for-connacht-final.html

Correct it wasn't 15k expected. See "more than 20k expected" from Mayo's finest bureaucract

He is correct on one score though, Markevic has a capacity of 10k, not the 15-18k that people reading outdated wiki pages etc seem to assume. Aside from the obvious integrity concerns with ripping up the prior arrangement days before the final, and the fact that Sligo and Galways home/away situation is still under dispute (Sligo pulled out of the last game due in Galway), the crowd the last day wouldn't have fit in Markevic

Blowitupref

Quote from: Manning18 on May 10, 2023, 12:25:11 AM

https://www.mayonews.ie/news/gaa/1154235/sligo-venue-not-an-option-for-connacht-final.html

Correct it wasn't 15k expected. See "more than 20k expected" from Mayo's finest bureaucract

He is correct on one score though, Markevic has a capacity of 10k, not the 15-18k that people reading outdated wiki pages etc seem to assume. Aside from the obvious integrity concerns with ripping up the prior arrangement days before the final, and the fact that Sligo and Galways home/away situation is still under dispute (Sligo pulled out of the last game due in Galway), the crowd the last day wouldn't have fit in Markevic

Like John Prenty doesn't tell tall tales.  To repeat not a hope going on previous attendances for Sligo v Galway championship games was it going to get 15k never mind  20k and Markievicz Park holds a lot more than 10k and an option B should have been Hyde Park with 19k currently allowed capacity.

Prior arrangement was brought in for when Leitrim and Sligo reached finals  and would attract 20k plus to finals those days are now over especially if they don't play Mayo in the final.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Cunny Funt

"We're expecting a crowd of more than 20,000 people and it should be a great occasion," remarked John Prenty.

John is away with the fairies.  As of 10am on Sunday morning I believe only a little over 8,000 tickets was sold so I'd question the accuracy of 11,867 published attendance as Sligo,Galway aren't big on season ticket holders.   Also uncovered Seating was €30 a 5€ increase on previous years Connacht finals, no common sense used there.

Rossfan

Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 10, 2023, 01:20:25 AM
"We're expecting a crowd of more than 20,000 people and it should be a great occasion," remarked John Prenty.

John is away with the fairies.  As of 10am on Sunday morning I believe only a little over 8,000 tickets was sold so I'd question the accuracy of 11,867 published attendance as Sligo,Galway aren't big on season ticket holders.   Also uncovered Seating was €30 a 5€ increase on previous years Connacht finals, no common sense used there.
I'm  of the opinion the early announcement of venue was to ensure there couldn't be a campaign or pressure to play at Markievicz.
Galway probably wouldn't have minded as they knew they were going to win anyway.
I know there's an agreement that CFs involving Sligo and Leitrim go to neutral venues but those things can easily be set aside if both Counties agreed.

Manning18

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 10, 2023, 12:48:54 AM
Quote from: Manning18 on May 10, 2023, 12:25:11 AM

Like John Prenty doesn't tell tall tales.  To repeat not a hope going on previous attendances for Sligo v Galway championship games was it going to get 15k never mind  20k and Markievicz Park holds a lot more than 10k and an option B should have been Hyde Park with 19k currently allowed capacity.

Prior arrangement was brought in for when Leitrim and Sligo reached finals  and would attract 20k plus to finals those days are now over especially if they don't play Mayo in the final.

Why does Markievicz "hold a lot more than 10k"? Because you say so?
Considering how health and safety have absolutely slashed grounds with non bucket seating/standing all over the country, I see nothing in Markievicz to think it would be allowed to hold 'a lot more' than 10k. McHale Park for instance was 42k in the noughties and is now 25k max. There would've been a larger demand had one team been at home also. All a moot point anyway, as you can't change agreements with days notice, it's unfair on whichever team would have to travel to the others home ground

Im sure Prenty did think there was far more coming than realistic. As any amount of history has shown us, this is hardly the most competent individual we're dealing with. I'd agree that Hyde Park was probably a better option, but he's nothing if not consistent and did another twist for his own

Blowitupref

Quote from: Manning18 on May 10, 2023, 03:04:16 PM

Considering how health and safety have absolutely slashed grounds with non bucket seating/standing all over the country, I see nothing in Markievicz to think it would be allowed to hold 'a lot more' than 10k. McHale Park for instance was 42k in the noughties and is now 25k max. There would've been a larger demand had one team been at home also. All a moot point anyway, as you can't change agreements with days notice, it's unfair on whichever team would have to travel to the others home ground

Im sure Prenty did think there was far more coming than realistic. As any amount of history has shown us, this is hardly the most competent individual we're dealing with. I'd agree that Hyde Park was probably a better option, but he's nothing if not consistent and did another twist for his own

The Slattery report cut the capacity of Markievicz park to 16,000. More that 25k max in MacHale Park also matter of fact 29,449 was at the Galway v Mayo match in 2018.

Quote from: Rossfan on May 10, 2023, 01:40:40 PM

I'm  of the opinion the early announcement of venue was to ensure there couldn't be a campaign or pressure to play at Markievicz.
Galway probably wouldn't have minded as they knew they were going to win anyway.
I know there's an agreement that CFs involving Sligo and Leitrim go to neutral venues but those things can easily be set aside if both Counties agreed.
It appears that way alright and I doubt Galway would say no Markievicz Park final. 

mouview

Quote from: Manning18 on May 10, 2023, 03:04:16 PM

I've no great gra for Prenty but in fairness, McHale park is closer to more of the Galway football strongholds than the Hyde, plus it has a few more roads in than in Roscommon.

Rossfan

We're banned from holding CFs since  2018.