Connacht final 2023

Started by An Fhairche Abu, May 02, 2023, 05:22:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mouview

Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 07, 2023, 02:26:17 PM
6 steps for the 2nd goal. Tierney best player in country in current form!

If you'd said Sean Kelly I'd go along with it. Absolute machine for Galway currently.

tbrick18

Galway look really good, even given the level of opposition today.
Sean Kelly has to be one of the best footballers in the country at the minute.
Galway are serious contenders I think, would certainly give kerry and Dublin a run for it.

Itchy

Galway a serious contender but remember Clare are a lot better than Sligo and Kerry ripped them assunder. Kerry are the team to beat.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Itchy on May 07, 2023, 08:45:26 PM
Galway a serious contender but remember Clare are a lot better than Sligo and Kerry ripped them assunder. Kerry are the team to beat.

Ah lads, Galway took off some of their star players. Galway could have beaten Sligo by what ever score they liked.
Kerry's game was overrided by the Cliffords loss and became a Lets go in get the job done and quietly slip away .

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on May 05, 2023, 11:50:01 AM
Galway have zero excuses for Sunday, need to be ruthless in front of the posts like a Kerry would be in the same position as huge favourites.
Got what I expected and what was needed, really professional performance from Galway, excellent shot conversion rate albeit against a Division 3/4 outfit.
Any Sligo mistakes were punished really bar the late kickout that Tierney won and couldn't slip the handpass to the onrushing Galway player for a good goal chance. Tierney was excellent besides, totally on it from the start.

Galway sloppy at times in 2nd half but the game was long over. Hard to be overly critical, did what they had to do.
Walsh way out of form the last two matches, if he's been sick with the flu don't play him, it's Sligo not Mayo or Kerry. Cooke very good today I thought but you have to caveat everything with the fact there is a huge gap from Division One down to the lower levels. Galway are facing into a much greater challenge in two weeks time from a team who were AI champions only two years ago.

Quote from: Derryman forever on May 07, 2023, 07:32:12 PM
Galway and Kerry are the only real contenders   in my opinion.

Wouldn't write off Dublin until they are in the ground with a stake in the heart, if they hit form on the big day they could take out the champions, they are definitely not the team they were however. Don't know where the other contenders are at yet, Mayo could do anything from flopping out at the q final stage to winning the whole thing. Cannot understand what Tyrone are at. Until we see otherwise Kerry are clearly still the team to beat for me anyway.

While I like the look of what the men in maroon have displayed to date, there is a long way to go yet for Galway, the cat bad league final performance at the venue where the big games will all be played remains a concern. Had no excuse for the really flat performance - unlike Mayo who were out the following week - and could have done with the win in a national final. Squad is better but need to keep driving on.

seafoid

I read somewhere that in order to do back to back the team needs a 25% improvement in year   2  .  Minus David Moran Kerry need at least 30% extra.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

ballinaman

Quote from: seafoid on May 08, 2023, 10:44:13 AM
I read somewhere that in order to do back to back the team needs a 25% improvement in year   2  .  Minus David Moran Kerry need at least 30% extra.
True but 20% of such statistics could be said to be made up

rrhf

That is not correct it is about 35 percent. 

Mano

The game went as expected. We were totally outclassed, Defensively we were clueless, some dreadful individual mistakes. Thankfully Galway had some mercy on us taking 3 fisted points instead if going for goal (Tierney didn't get the memo unfortunately) and taking off some of their better players.  Will the next 3 games be any better - unlikely

seafoid

Quote from: Mano on May 08, 2023, 06:08:49 PM
The game went as expected. We were totally outclassed, Defensively we were clueless, some dreadful individual mistakes. Thankfully Galway had some mercy on us taking 3 fisted points instead if going for goal (Tierney didn't get the memo unfortunately) and taking off some of their better players.  Will the next 3 games be any better - unlikely
Galway are at least a class above the flourbags and the rossies.

mad tan

Don't know if someone raised this but less than 25,000 at the two finals. I know we might not have the same draws again for years. Games were very one sided and to ask people to pay 35Euro for stand tickets is a bit much. The only redeeming  feature of the weekend was the Display of David Clifford [deepest sympathy to him and his family] surely he is the Erling Haaland of gaelic footballer. You cannot coach what this lad does.   

Armagh18

Quote from: mad tan on May 08, 2023, 07:58:29 PM
Don't know if someone raised this but less than 25,000 at the two finals. I know we might not have the same draws again for years. Games were very one sided and to ask people to pay 35Euro for stand tickets is a bit much. The only redeeming  feature of the weekend was the Display of David Clifford [deepest sympathy to him and his family] surely he is the Erling Haaland of gaelic footballer. You cannot coach what this lad does.   
Yeah would agree with that. Ironic that you could probably get twice that for the ulster final next week if you had the stadium there. Should at least be a game that will be in the melting pot in the last 5 minutes anyway. Hopefully Louth can put up a good showing against Dublin.

Blowitupref

Had it been a semi final between Sligo v Galway it would have in the region of 8,000 at it. So it would be known beforehand that this pairing would not attract anymore than it got and Markievicz Park or Hyde Park should have hosted it.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Rossfan

Lord Prenty declared at an early stage the Final was fixed for McHale.
Helping his favourite County pay off their debts.
Sod Sligo or capacity or how many might turn up, look after his own.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Galway have now  knocked Mayo off their perch