Niall McNamee Retires

Started by AZOffaly, August 29, 2017, 04:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Obviously overshadowed by Sean Cavanagh's announcement, Niall McNamee has just announced his retirement 2 minutes ago. My Da was selector with Paul O'Kelly when they gave Niall his debut in Portlaoise in 2003, aged just 17. He turned into, in my opinion, one of the best forwards in the country at a time when Offaly couldn't keep the ball kicked into him. He could win 50 50 ball, high and low. He could score and he could work. Recent years have seen him affected by injury, but he's a good lad, and is doing a lot of work for gambling addiction as well. Best of luck to him in his retirement, and thanks a million to him for all the hard yards he put in with Offaly.

"niallmc14Only seems like yesterday that I made my debut. It's been a huge honour to represent and captain my county. The time has now come to step away. I want to say a huge thank you to all of my team mates that I've been lucky to take the field with down through the years. Thank you to all the managers who showed faith in me. I've been extremely lucky to fulfil a lot of my childhood dreams and it is truly with a heavy heart that I call it a day. A massive thank you to all the faithful supporters for your support throughout the years both on and off the field. Finally a big thank you to my parents, brothers and sister and my girlfriend for always being there in the good days and the not so good days. I couldn't have done it without you all. @gaelicplayers thank you also for the huge part you guys have played in supporting my off field career. I'm really looking forward to supporting the boys next year and beyond and I pray that the glory days return to Offaly in the not too distant future 💚💭💛"

seafoid

I think he was a fantastic player in a difficult time for Offaly football but also a great man who wrestled with demons and won and now is an example to young people. I look at
his twitter every so often. He comes across as really decent and thoughtful. And maybe that is a greater victory considering where he came from addiction wise than winning an All Ireland would be.

Plus a deadly forward.
And great taste in music.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Tubberman

A great player who we unfortunately didn't get to see enough of in the height of summer.
Hope his gambling problems are firmly behind him now - he was very impressive talking about it, scary how much of a hold it takes.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

seafoid

Niall McNamee ‏@niallmc14 13 nov. 2016
5 years today since I last had a bet. My best ever decision and greatest gift to have ever been given

rrhf

Quote from: seafoid on August 29, 2017, 04:40:00 PM
I think he was a fantastic player in a difficult time for Offaly football but also a great man who wrestled with demons and won and now is an example to young people. I look at
his twitter every so often. He comes across as really decent and thoughtful. And maybe that is a greater victory considering where he came from addiction wise than winning an All Ireland would be.

Plus a deadly forward.
And great taste in music.

Played in a hard era for Offaly - niall excelled on the field but won his biggest battles off it. An example to every Gael on life. Enjoy the break!

Syferus

Players who do it in the hard times are a special breed, deserving of far more respect and platitudes than they get. McNamee was, and is, a class act.

seafoid

I think he proves the all stars are dysfunctional

Hardy

A class act. Best of luck to him.

mrhardyannual

Great player. Would have made any team in the country in his prime.

Cunny Funt

One of the most naturally gifted footballers of the last 20 years. A happy retirement to him.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Was lucky enough to have seen (and been tortured by) him a few times in the flesh -- great player, and very best of luck.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

macdanger2

Class forward and has shown serious dedication playing on with Offaly after injuries and when he knew there wasn't likely to be much return.

DuffleKing

A lot of respect for McNamee's quality. Simply unmarkable most days upmyomand through his prime and top 5 'leader of the attack' in the last 20 years.

Declan

Super player and always comes across as a decent lad. Best of luck to him

Franko

Best of luck to him, always came across as a great lad.  Also a cracking footballer, who, if he'd been born in Dublin/Kerry/Tyrone, would be retiring with a few Celtic Crosses and half a dozen All Stars.  The luck of the draw I guess.