The GPA

Started by heganboy, November 14, 2012, 01:04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heganboy

A few years ago the GPA was one of the hottest topics for discussion on this board. I would say that I along with many others was really not sure what to make of them. I think I was sceptical of the motivation, and the direction of the body, but I think I was reserving judgement (but probably not- reserving judgement is not one of my stronger points) . As I get older (and I'm certainly not wiser) I see the benefits of having a players organization, and I'm actually surprised by the lack of publicity and profile that the group has had. I see that they seem to have made strides in their maturity as an entity, and the players that have affiliation seem to have on the balance good things to say about it.
Anyone any thoughts on this topic? Any stories to share?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

deiseach

The test of the effectiveness of the GAA/GPA marriage will be when there is disagreement between the two.

samwin08

Players travel allowance has been 50c I think for several years. The price of fuel has increased by at least  70% since that rate was set.  Is is not time Dessie demandes a considerable increase?

Orchardman

Quote from: samwin08 on November 14, 2012, 02:59:11 PM
Players travel allowance has been 50c I think for several years. The price of fuel has increased by at least  70% since that rate was set.  Is is not time Dessie demandes a considerable increase?

No, when i drive an hour to armagh for club training i dont even get 1 cent a mile.

Overall though, yes they seem to be doing a good job. They are much quieter as the GAA gave them a big lump sum when they bought them over just to shut them up.

Think i read an article with that mooney guy who left down this year to go and play for collingwood, and he was moaning ' 80,000 at all big games and everyone gets paid but the players, blah blah, boo hoo, the GAA are making millions but where does it go?'' he asked. This line of thinking is nonsense, look at the amount of county boards in debt, most spend almost 1 million a year preparing all county teams and Croke park already gives out 80% of its revenue back to the grassroots.

deiseach

Quote from: Orchardman on November 14, 2012, 05:05:42 PM
Think i read an article with that mooney guy who left down this year to go and play for collingwood, and he was moaning ' 80,000 at all big games and everyone gets paid but the players, blah blah, boo hoo, the GAA are making millions but where does it go?'' he asked. This line of thinking is nonsense, look at the amount of county boards in debt, most spend almost 1 million a year preparing all county teams and Croke park already gives out 80% of its revenue back to the grassroots.

Yep, you may have read it here.

Orchardman

yea, that's the one.
Of course if i was the lad i would probably have made the same decision, just for a couple of years anyway.

Eamonnca1

No, when i drive an hour to armagh for club training i dont even get 1 cent a mile.

Overall though, yes they seem to be doing a good job. They are much quieter as the GAA gave them a big lump sum when they bought them over just to shut them up.

Was just thinking that about that article myself. If the jumped-up little p***k wants to know where the money goes, all he has to do is go to the GAA website, look up the financial report, read it, and it'll tell him where the money is spent. Saying that GAA volunteers are making a "clean fortune" while he does all the work on the field is just a flat out lie. There wouldn't be any games for him to play if it wasn't for the volunteers who make it happen. Give him a few years and he'll soon grow up and realise how stupid he is.

Eamonnca1

I'm not upset at all. It just reminds me of when I was his age. Your late teens and early 20s is when there's the biggest gap between how much you know and how much you think you know. He'll get over it.

heganboy

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 14, 2012, 07:22:06 PM
Your late teens and early 20s is when there's the biggest gap between how much you know and how much you think you know.

You're not wrong...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

wildrover

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 14, 2012, 06:14:29 PM

Was just thinking that about that article myself. If the jumped-up little p***k wants to know where the money goes, all he has to do is go to the GAA website, look up the financial report, read it, and it'll tell him where the money is spent. Saying that GAA volunteers are making a "clean fortune" while he does all the work on the field is just a flat out lie. There wouldn't be any games for him to play if it wasn't for the volunteers who make it happen. Give him a few years and he'll soon grow up and realise how stupid he is.

You obviously know this young man personally and so are in a position to insult him like that?

You then attempt to quantify it with a later post containing some patronising drivel about age being linked to wisdom...you appear very foolish and yet apparently have many years behind you...how can this happen?...are you an anomaly?...

Eamonnca1

Bud Wiser

On the subject itself (hadn't seen this thread) I was one of the ones opposed to the GPA and there were some good heated discussions about same when they arrived on the scene. Looking back I suppose the Cork boys with their Cummins Hurling Ball and their street walking antics influenced my refusal to accept change and to answer the question posed in the opening of the thread, yes, I have changed in terms of acceptance.

As far as I can see the GAA/GPA are working together a lot more now than back then when we were all thrown in our tuppence worth and like them or loath them I don't think that issues like gambling addiction, employment assistance in terms of start ups and getting more of our players jobs without having to emigrate would never have been undertaken by the GAA itself without the extra push frrom the GPA.

So yes, I would sit and sup a pint with a GPA man anyday now and say, yes, ye are not a bad ould crowd after all !
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

INDIANA

Quote from: Bud Wiser on November 19, 2012, 12:18:05 PM
On the subject itself (hadn't seen this thread) I was one of the ones opposed to the GPA and there were some good heated discussions about same when they arrived on the scene. Looking back I suppose the Cork boys with their Cummins Hurling Ball and their street walking antics influenced my refusal to accept change and to answer the question posed in the opening of the thread, yes, I have changed in terms of acceptance.

As far as I can see the GAA/GPA are working together a lot more now than back then when we were all thrown in our tuppence worth and like them or loath them I don't think that issues like gambling addiction, employment assistance in terms of start ups and getting more of our players jobs without having to emigrate would never have been undertaken by the GAA itself without the extra push frrom the GPA.

So yes, I would sit and sup a pint with a GPA man anyday now and say, yes, ye are not a bad ould crowd after all !

I don't trust them at all personally and I'd still say they have an agenda towards professionalism in some form.

johnneycool

Quote from: INDIANA on November 19, 2012, 12:23:09 PM
Quote from: Bud Wiser on November 19, 2012, 12:18:05 PM

I don't trust them at all personally and I'd still say they have an agenda towards professionalism in some form.

The death of the celtic tiger has put that one on hold for the time being but it'll rear its ugly head again before long.

antoinse

Reading the business section of the Sunday Independent yesterday I was wondering if the new 'Legacy' business set up by the Brogan cousins, James and Bernard, may be the parting of the ways with the GPA. Perhaps  I am naive in my thinking? but I cannot seem to get it away from my head