The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maiden1

Quote from: sid waddell on September 02, 2020, 11:48:58 AM
This is a failing strategy so the strategy now is to steal the election
If he wins it's because of cheating/fascism/.. is like a football manager yelling at the ref when they lose by 10 points. I.e. look closer to home first on why losing.

Some things I have read on here that don't ring true for me.

1) Trump is a terrible speaker.  To me he is a brilliant speaker.  His style might be WWE smackdown but he is the only politician that if I saw was on live I would tune in for 10 minutes just to see if he goes off the prepared script and says something he wasnt supposed to before the secret service get a chance to turn his mike off.
2) He has dementia. He is in his 70s and walked slowly down a gang plank and drinks a glass of water in an unusual way but has anyone who claims he has dementia watched Biden recently?

Some things that could hurt Trump that probably won't.

1) 'Grab a woman ...' would probably hurt him but it was first used by Hillary during debates with Bill squirming in the audience.
2) Ice. Ice detention policy was started before Trump.

A couple of things which it hard to say will help or hurt him.

1) COVID. Lockdowns effect jobs.
2) Black lives matter. BLM matter but not being in favour of wrecking the place doesnt make someone racist.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JoCdiCc1JoM

There are no proofs, only opinions.

bennydorano

The comedian Katy Brand is great on Twitter, a few months back she was on Dominic Cummings case and it rang so true. Paraphrasing but she basically said - Cummings does what he likes because he is independently wealthy, he never learned anything the hard way, in jobs if someone gave off he just quit and got another from his familial friends,  he never developed as a leader or person like most people would. I think this applies X100 for Trump, he doesn't give a shit about anything or anyone because his actions have never had any consequences, he's above everybody in his mind.

sid waddell

Quote from: Maiden1 on September 03, 2020, 08:12:49 AM
If he wins it's because of cheating/fascism/.. is like a football manager yelling at the ref when they lose by 10 points. I.e. look closer to home first on why losing.

Sorry, you're not dealing with reality

Trump is not winning, he is losing badly

Opinion polls are a broadly accurate measurement of public opinion

Trump knows full well he can't win legitimately, same as Lukashenko knew

Why on earth do you think he's destroying the postal service?

Why on earth do you think the Republicans have refused to enact any election security measures whatsoever over the last four years?

Why do you think Republicans routinely engage in massive purges of the voter rolls?

Why do you think they have squads of goons intimidating people at polling stations?

Why on earth do you think people have to queue for many hours at polling stations in Democratic areas?

Election voting machines connect to the internet and can be hacked

America's election infrastructure is appalling and ripe for a fix, it has been designed that way

Maiden1

Quote from: sid waddell on September 03, 2020, 10:19:24 AM

So why is he favourite to win the election then?  If you don't acknowledge that right now the election is 50/50 you are not dealing in reality.

five points

Quote from: bennydorano on September 03, 2020, 10:03:19 AM
The comedian Katy Brand is great on Twitter, a few months back she was on Dominic Cummings case and it rang so true. Paraphrasing but she basically said - Cummings does what he likes because he is independently wealthy, he never learned anything the hard way, in jobs if someone gave off he just quit and got another from his familial friends,  he never developed as a leader or person like most people would. I think this applies X100 for Trump, he doesn't give a shit about anything or anyone because his actions have never had any consequences, he's above everybody in his mind.

Cummings isn't a leader though and has never pretended to be. He's a background strategist.

sid waddell

Quote from: Maiden1 on September 03, 2020, 10:23:58 AM

So why is he favourite to win the election then?  If you don't acknowledge that right now the election is 50/50 you are not dealing in reality.
Odds are a reflection of money placed

I said months ago when Trump was 6/4 or 7/4 that he was worth a bet because the election would be fixed

Big money bettors are aware that i) the plan is to fix the result and ii) Biden must win by a huge margin to win - a four point win nationally will likely not be enough because the electoral college system massively favours Trump

Latest polls are terrible for Trump

These are swing state polls conducted after the convention

The polls are an accurate reflection of public opinion but they are not an accurate reflection of a rigged election

Maiden1

Quote from: sid waddell on September 03, 2020, 10:31:28 AM

I said months ago when Trump was 6/4 or 7/4 that he was worth a bet because the election would be fixed

Big money bettors are aware that i) the plan is to fix the result and ii) Biden must win by a huge margin to win - a four point win nationally will likely not be enough because the electoral college system massively favours Trump

The polls are an accurate reflection of public opinion but they are not an accurate reflection of a rigged election
The polls cannot be relied upon as has been seen many times recently.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fortune.com/2016/11/09/donald-trump-president-gamble/amp/

sid waddell

Quote from: Maiden1 on September 03, 2020, 10:40:29 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 03, 2020, 10:31:28 AM

The polls cannot be relied upon as has been seen many times recently.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fortune.com/2016/11/09/donald-trump-president-gamble/amp/
Contrary to popular belief, polls are a broadly accurate reflection of public opinion

Trump is a long way behind at the moment

The fix is his only chance

It's my view that the fix likely happened in 2016 as well

Anywhere Russia gets involved abroad, the aim is the fix

I expect Biden to win the popular vote by four or five million yet somehow "lose" the electoral college

Biden will be massively ahead on postal votes which do not get counted on the night

Arizona's senate election in 2018 is a good pointer to how that and other states might work out, the Republican was ahead in on the day totals but the Democrat pushed well ahead due to postal votes which are counted over the subsequent days

This is a massive angle for Trump to engage in tampering, legal interference and straight out orchestrated rioting by his goons - to stop these legitimate votes from being counted, that's why the postal service is being run into the ground as well

Clued in observers have always expected this, the Democrats are impotent in the face of it, if the Democrats are not prepared for war over this, they will definitely lose

This should be the major story in US politics but most of the media are much more interested in brain rotting horse race nonsense

Rossfan

Trump has it sewn up.
Seems DUPUDA are campaigning for him in Westminster while the Bunting clown is going on some kind of "Ulster Scots for Trump" campaign across the North.
It's like a story that escaped from 1st April. :o

Seriously though it says a lot about Yanks that the bag of sh1te in the White House is 50/50.
In any normal society he'd have a 5% loony fringe support if even that.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

five points

Quote from: Rossfan on September 03, 2020, 11:35:45 AM
Seriously though it says a lot about Yanks that the bag of sh1te in the White House is 50/50.

They say that here about every Republican US President. Yet over the decades America goes from strength to strength while our own country struggles 90% of the time, with a standard of "leaders" who wouldn't be let make the tea in top level US politics.

Funny that.

sid waddell

Quote from: five points on September 03, 2020, 11:40:48 AM

They say that here about every Republican US President. Yet over the decades America goes from strength to strength while our own country struggles 90% of the time, with a standard of "leaders" who wouldn't be let make the tea in top level US politics.

Funny that.
Em, you do realise that Trump specifically campaigned on the notion that America was in a total mess

On that he wasn't wrong

He was entirely wrong about who is to blame - he and his ilk in the elite are to blame, robber barons who rig the game in their favour

Unsurprisingly, he has made that mess far, far worse

The US is in a mess because its politics is the most shallow of any developed country

There is almost zero actual policy debate

This is because one party and its associated media is a certifiable 1930s style fascist cult,  a nakedly white supremacist cult, and thus what is discussed flows from that

For all our faults, the standard of politician in Ireland is far higher than in America, well certainly than in the Republican party, and we should be very grateful for that

Our politicians at least are sane and half way competent

The future and hope for America is sane, moderate, intelligent social democrats like AOC who are firmly in touch with the real issues

sid waddell

Trump has it sewn up.
Seems DUPUDA are campaigning for him in Westminster while the Bunting clown is going on some kind of "Ulster Scots for Trump" campaign across the North.
It's like a story that escaped from 1st April. :o

Far less

There is no difference between Trump and Gemma O'Doherty in terms of (lack of) sanity or ridiculousness

Taylor

Its amazing that opponents of Trump still havent realised that throwing out the lines he rigs election/hates blacks/is sexist/is corrupt etc doesnt work.
It simply makes Trump supporters double down.

If they would focus on the positives Biden brings perhaps it wouldnt be neck and neck in the race.

Just a thought

sid waddell

Quote from: Taylor on September 03, 2020, 12:34:22 PM
Its amazing that opponents of Trump still havent realised that throwing out the lines he rigs election/hates blacks/is sexist is corrupt etc doesnt work.
It simply makes Trump supporters double down.

If they would focus on the positives Biden brings perhaps it wouldnt be neck and neck in the race.

Just a thought
I'm not really sure what your point is

All this is true, and just demonstrates the point that Trumpism is a cult

What you are saying is that the truth should not be told

Frankly there's very little that can be done to de-programme people who are down the rabbit hole of a cult

Trumpism is every bit as much a cult as Nazism was, and every bit as dangerous

There is no safe dose of fascism, and the logical endpoint of fascism is always genocide

The true representation of Trumpism is people like Anders Behring Breivik and the Christchurch mass murderer

five points

Any electoral ticket that garners almost 63m votes in a free and fair election is by definition not a cult. Trump manages to pick up votes from huge numbers of people who dislike him or parts of his agenda. That's the opposite of what a cult does.

The Nazi comparisons and conflations are crazy.