Gardening

Started by 118cmal, June 25, 2010, 02:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: TabClear on June 14, 2020, 08:16:42 PM
Quote from: bogball88 on June 14, 2020, 04:52:25 PM
what will take rust staining out of patio tiles? Hypochlorite?

I've used Oxalic acid in the past. Worked well but you need to be careful. It's potent stuff and gives off nasty fumes.

https://www.sfgate.com/homeandgarden/article/Oxalic-acid-busts-rust-stains-but-needs-cautious-2786877.php

Yes, it's used in crystal form to fumigate/vaporise in bee hives. Heard of someone who ended up in hospital with chest problems afterwards using it.

I use it diluted in liquid form, and wear a mask and gloves when doing so. It only takes a few minutes, but my clothes all go in the wash straightaway and I shower after. It's not as harmful diluted this way, but I don't take any chances.

BennyCake

Need a petrol strimmer. For grass, weeds, briars mainly.

Any recommendations?

Taylor

Anyone have a robotic lawnmower - have read mixed reports but either going for it or a ride on as back is broke with this other mower  ::)

Jim Bob

Quote from: BennyCake on July 30, 2020, 08:27:05 PM

Any recommendations?

Make sure you buy a light one. Cheaper ones tend to be heavy and piss you off after a while.
Stihl are hard to beat

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Taylor on July 30, 2020, 09:01:30 PM
Anyone have a robotic lawnmower - have read mixed reports but either going for it or a ride on as back is broke with this other mower  ::)
Brother in law has a mate who swears by the robots. He has 2 of them and his lawn is like a bowling green.

balladmaker

Planted a Portuguese Laurel hedge recently, now they're very small, no more than a foot to 18 inches in height so will be quite a while before they're in a hedge formation of any sort.  They cover an area of approx 70 metres.  I'm destroyed keeping the weeds away from around the newly planted hedge ... any suggestions other than hand weeding?

BennyCake

Quote from: Jim Bob on July 30, 2020, 11:52:44 PM

Any recommendations?

Make sure you buy a light one. Cheaper ones tend to be heavy and piss you off after a while.
Stihl are hard to beat

I would have thought cheaper strimmers would be lighter? And might not be ideal for heavier weeds?

Jeepers Creepers

Any recommendations?

Lidl are doing those petrol multi tools that dont look to bad. Strimmer/bush wacker/chainsaw and hedge trimmer. £130.

RadioGAAGAA

Any recommendations?

If you get a big petrol, get one of these for whatever you get (unless you've bought an ultra high end one that might be sorted already):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oregon-559059-Universal-Professional-Trimmer/dp/B00L476FA2

Will make replacing your cord so much easier. You just feed in the chord - splitting the length half ways, then twist the head to pull it in. No disassembly and futtering with reassembly.

If your only doing light work, DeWalt do a 18V battery strimmer, and its quick, clean and tidy.
i usse an speelchekor

RadioGAAGAA

Anyone recommend any alternatives to wood decking?

Is composite decking really easy to keep? Don't want something that transforms into an ice rink in winter and needs a day of scrubbing every spring to clean up!
i usse an speelchekor

trueblue1234

Quote from: balladmaker on July 31, 2020, 02:21:32 AM
Planted a Portuguese Laurel hedge recently, now they're very small, no more than a foot to 18 inches in height so will be quite a while before they're in a hedge formation of any sort.  They cover an area of approx 70 metres.  I'm destroyed keeping the weeds away from around the newly planted hedge ... any suggestions other than hand weeding?

You can get a hood for a knacksack sprayer that will allow you to spray inbetween the trees without touching the trees. Good job but you need to be very careful.
https://www.tooled-up.com/hozelock-weedkiller-cone-for-5-16l-pressure-sprayers/prod/307765/?Referrer=affwin&source=affwin&awc=496_1596185541_4db53b82122d79a17d799e7bbf791d7d

Then once weeds killed off get down some bark or even your grass cuttings/ mulch and it'll help retain moisture and keep the weeds down. Just make sure if your doing grass cuttings that there's very little weeds in it!!
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

ha ha derry

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on July 31, 2020, 09:48:49 AM

Is composite decking really easy to keep? Don't want something that transforms into an ice rink in winter and needs a day of scrubbing every spring to clean up!

go for full upvc deck boards, more expensive but better job.

bigarsedkeeper

Any recommendations?

I've used Parker Brand and it's been a good yoke, reasonably priced and isn't bothered with the heavier stuff. Brother has had one for a while too and no issues. The website has all the spare parts you could need too. It's down in price since I bought it too! Stihl for bend arm and no strap is about 180 in comparison.

https://www.parkerbrand.co.uk/52cc-petrol-strimmer-brush-cutter-extras

WeeDonns

Quote from: ha ha derry on July 31, 2020, 10:17:40 AM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on July 31, 2020, 09:48:49 AM

go for full upvc deck boards, more expensive but better job.

Got rid of our wood decking & put down slabs last year as it was a torture having to paint it every year & slippy as hell when wet. I'd never put decking down again

Got gates made for the drive recently & put Composite panels in galvanised frames rather than wood. Expensive but maintenance free. Would the composite decking still be pretty slippy when wet?

Brother has a large deck at the back of his house on a steep hill so paving wasn't an option. He had the same issues with maintenance & people coming out on their holes when wet. He covered the whole thing in artificial grass - says its the best investment he ever made in the house as kids can play out on it all year round

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: WeeDonns on July 31, 2020, 11:44:19 AM
Brother has a large deck at the back of his house on a steep hill so paving wasn't an option. He had the same issues with maintenance & people coming out on their holes when wet. He covered the whole thing in artificial grass - says its the best investment he ever made in the house as kids can play out on it all year round

Ours is similar. Was thinking a stone carpet on a few bison slabs as an alternative down the road maybe.

What way did he mount the plastic grass? I assume he didn't backfill and its still elevated?
i usse an speelchekor