18 (43.9%)
no
23 (56.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

118cmal

Quote from: ziggysego on May 29, 2011, 12:39:57 AM
Quote from: ONeill on May 28, 2011, 11:03:50 PM
Fcuk sake Ziggy. It was a cat in heat.

She shoved me in the back and I fell over. (This was back in the time I could walk)

Can you elaborate a wee bit Ziggy if you don't mind?

I find all this stuff fascinating.

Lar Naparka

I had a chat with a few individuals  recently who have a deep interest in all matters paranormal and the subject of ghosts came up.
We chatted about a number of well-know sites around the country where there is much  controversy over eyewitness accounts of what may or may not have happened there. Unlike my companions, I have no set views one way or the other where any of them is concerned.
But there is one place in particular that intrigues me and I was reminded of a visit I paid there over twenty years ago.
I am talking about the Rhetoric House in Maynooth College. I saw or heard nothing while there to convinve me that there was a paranormal presence in the area but many otherwise sane people are convinced otherwise.
Mind you, the clerical authorities there try to play it down and don't encourage outside interest in the supposed extraordinary happenings there. I got in because I was accompanied by a priest who is recogniised by the Church as an excorcist.
He's supposed to be fairly good at the job and has told me of many times when he has in conflict with malign, preternatural entities.  As for me; I accept that he believes he has been and I leave it at that.
Anyway, he brought me along to a corridor in the Rhetoric House that oce was a dormitory for junior students.
There's a number of small identical bedrooms on either side of this corridor.

However, there  an alcove where the front wall and door of a room have been removed and the window has been bricked up. There was (and probably still is) a statue of St Joseph there.

The story goes that back in the 1840s a student appeared to have committed suicide in this room after a number of others claimed they heard an almighty commotion going on there. Some other student was given this room and he too appeared to have died in the same manner and there was evidence of him meeting a violent end.  Eventually a priedt tried his luck there and he wound uo a 'jibbering wreck' the following morning.
The authorities decided that enough was enough and turned the room into an orotary for the said St Joseph.
My companion told me that a renowned physiic examined the room and reported that he found a very powerful malign energy there.
I just don'r know. I experienced nothing out of the ordinary while in this oratory  but those at the very centre of Catholic power and influence in the country appear to think otherwise
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

laoislad

I have heard that same story about Maynooth Lar. There is also a house near me back home in Laois where the owners also had to block up the windows and doors of one room because of similar reasons to Maynooth.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ross4life

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Eamonnca1

Saw a show one time about paranormal stuff. They investigated the catacombs under Edinburgh and did controlled experiments to see which rooms people found most unsettling. The most unsettling rooms (the ones which were allegedly "haunted") all had certain features in common in terms of lighting, temperature, size, height of the ceiling etc.

Bottom line: It's all in yer heads!

Forever Green

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Anyone who believes in ghosts is a complete idiot.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

ONeill

Spooky in Coalisland.

Watch from 40 mins on, especially around 56 mins on.

Nutters or go-betweens?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dtoz5Ve1EyA&feature=youtu.be#t=25m18s
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

haveaharp

Quote from: ONeill on October 30, 2011, 09:11:55 AM
Spooky in Coalisland.

Watch from 40 mins on, especially around 56 mins on.

Nutters or go-betweens?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dtoz5Ve1EyA&feature=youtu.be#t=25m18s

Around the island id say Derek Acora has nothing to fear.

Eamonnca1

There's  perfectly logical explanation for all of these things. I can't believe educated people are still believing this superstitious nonsense in this day and age. Derren Brown is a great one for debunking this crap:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_hQvWsIMYs

southdown

What is it with mirrors that scares the crap out of people?

haveaharp

Quote from: southdown on October 31, 2011, 04:56:28 PM
What is it with mirrors that scares the crap out of people?

I suppose it depends on who is looking into it

SLIGONIAN

For those that are skeptical its fairly simple they have to see it for themselves which is fair enough, others believe without seeing which again is fair enough and then are those who have seen and obviously believe which again is fair enough. There is absolutely no point arguing with skeptics or with seers. Most people are just not capable of seeing or sensing. Opened minded people tend to be the ones that believe without seeing. I dont understand the attachment we all have to our beliefs though, like some people get greatly offended by people believeing in ghosts and those who see get greatly offended by skeptics. I dont see the point as we all different capabilities and life experience and base our beliefs accordingly.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Eamonnca1

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on October 31, 2011, 05:37:16 PM
Opened minded people tend to be the ones that believe without seeing

"Gullible" is the word you're looking for there.