Would you be in favour of a second tier?

Started by sligoman2, June 26, 2017, 12:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be in favour of an alternative championship for Div 3 and 4 with winners and runners up rejoining the other championship.

Yes
136 (52.7%)
No
104 (40.3%)
Undecided
18 (7%)

Total Members Voted: 258

Farrandeelin

I'm curious to know if there were calls for a tiered championship in the 50s and 60s. We're Carlow, Wicklow, Fermanagh et al at a similar standard of all the teams?  Was every game close?  Or what about when Kerry hammered Clare in Miltown Malbay? Was everyone clamouring for a tiered championship then? Is it just to make weak counties to feel good about themselves that this has come about, or the fact all these hidings are televised?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Lone Shark on August 13, 2017, 01:31:31 AM

To me, this argument is the same as people who think that there should be better public transport. Some people want it because they themselves would happily take a bus or a light rail to work, even if it involved some additional inconvenience. More people just want it because they think it'll get more cars off the road and thus make their own drive to work a bit more pleasant.
Well put. The has v the has nots. Just look at one of the recent comments. Just bring it in and those that doesn't want it can "get used to it"  ::)

Dub000737

Most of the NOTS are the same people who see nothing wrong with Galway and Kerry having to win two games to reach the AI QFs while Tyrone and Dublin had to win 3. Head up a** time.

RedHand88

Quote from: Dub000737 on August 16, 2017, 11:43:19 PM
Most of the NOTS are the same people who see nothing wrong with Galway and Kerry having to win two games to reach the AI QFs while Tyrone and Dublin had to win 3. Head up a** time.

You can fix that without having a tiered championship though.

Rossfan

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 16, 2017, 11:45:59 PM

If you make the Provincials stand alone and then AI Championship(s) separate?
By the way Galway lost a game before  getting to the AI QF by winning 2 games. ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on August 17, 2017, 12:09:18 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on August 16, 2017, 11:45:59 PM

If you make the Provincials stand alone and then AI Championship(s) separate?
By the way When Galway lost a game before  getting to the AI QF by winning 2 games. ;)

And Connacht was far stronger than Ulster back then too. I think it was 2000 when all four league semi-finalists were Connacht teams. But I suppose football was invented in 2002 so I wouldn't expect them to know that.

Dublin have not had to play a single competive game of football to reach this AISF, by the way.

five points

Quote from: Syferus on August 17, 2017, 12:42:53 AM
And Connacht was far stronger than Ulster back then too. I think it was 2000 when all four league semi-finalists were Connacht teams. But I suppose football was invented in 2002 so I wouldn't expect them to know that.

Odd that you say that as the 2000 Connacht Championship was one of the worst ever in modern times. Sligo beat Mayo and then got tanked by Galway, trailing 14 points to nil at half time. Roscommon imploded against Leitrim who themselves imploded against Galway in a cakewalk Connacht final.

Esmarelda

How do you know who the "NOTS" are? How many is most? 51% of them?

If Sligo won Connacht by beating Galway and Mayo, do most of the NOTS think that to be easier or harder than Dublin beating Carlow, Wicklow and Wexfod?

Most importantly, what do the minority of NOTS think?

Owenmoresider

Quote from: five points on August 17, 2017, 04:22:39 PM
Quote from: Syferus on August 17, 2017, 12:42:53 AM

Odd that you say that as the 2000 Connacht Championship was one of the worst ever in modern times. Sligo beat Mayo and then got tanked by Galway, trailing 14 points to nil at half time. Roscommon imploded against Leitrim who themselves imploded against Galway in a cakewalk Connacht final.
It was 2001 when Connacht had all four league semi finalists. The Championship had Mayo edging us out in Castlebar by a point courtesy of Tom Nallen and his 26 steps goal, Galway were then turfed out by Ros in Tuam before the Rossies beat Mayo in the final with a last gasp goal. That general era from the late 90's through to 2003/4 was a great one for Connacht in the sense of having four quite competitive, if not perhaps very consistent, teams and all operating at the higher echelons, ourselves and Ros were in D1 for most of that time, Mayo had their near misses for the big one and won their only national title since 1970 in that time, and Galway of course carried home Sam twice and but for Savage being selfish late on v Kerry in 2000 might have had a third title too.

sligoman2

Good time indeed owenmoresider.  However, with the exception of Galway, no Connacht team has won an all-ireland since 1951 which is 66 years.
Maybe we should allow mayo into the second tier also.....

Interesting to see that there are more votes in favour than against.  I stress again that the winners and runners-up would re-enter the championship under my suggestion.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

sligoman2

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/0625/973011-gaa-president-horan-ill-look-at-a-tier-2-championship/

Who could blame him after the series of one sided games this weekend.  I stopped watching both the Munster and Leinster final and should have followed suit for the ulster borefest...
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Syferus

Quote from: sligoman2 on June 25, 2018, 01:00:07 PM
https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/0625/973011-gaa-president-horan-ill-look-at-a-tier-2-championship/

Who could blame him after the series of one sided games this weekend.  I stopped watching both the Munster and Leinster final and should have followed suit for the ulster borefest...

There have been so many upsets this year that still pushing the idea of a second tier takes some seriously blinkered vision.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Syferus on June 25, 2018, 01:13:40 PM

There have been so many upsets this year that still pushing the idea of a second tier takes some seriously blinkered vision.

Such as?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Rossfan

3 Tiered All Irelands senior Junior and Inter with promotion and relegation.
Keep the Provincials with all Countues taking part with some perks for the winners.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jinxy

Quote from: Syferus on June 25, 2018, 01:13:40 PM

Various different bald men fighting over a comb does not constitute an upset.
If you were any use you'd be playing.