Would you be in favour of a second tier?

Started by sligoman2, June 26, 2017, 12:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be in favour of an alternative championship for Div 3 and 4 with winners and runners up rejoining the other championship.

Yes
136 (52.7%)
No
104 (40.3%)
Undecided
18 (7%)

Total Members Voted: 258

Esmarelda

Carlow captain Darragh Foley says a second tier championship does not appeal to him.

A championship for lower-ranked counties has been mooted again this year but Foley feels it would be of no benefit to the Barrowsiders, whom face Monaghan at home this weekend in round three of the All-Ireland SFC qualifiers.

"It wouldn't appeal to me. If you're playing in a 'B' championship you're seen as a lesser player," Foley told the Irish Independent.

"We'd never get a chance in a 'B' championship like we're getting on Saturday - playing a Division 1 team in a Round 3 qualifier at home before Sky TV cameras. That's where you want to be."

From the Bunker

Quote from: Esmarelda on July 13, 2017, 02:37:41 PM
Carlow captain Darragh Foley says a second tier championship does not appeal to him.

A championship for lower-ranked counties has been mooted again this year but Foley feels it would be of no benefit to the Barrowsiders, whom face Monaghan at home this weekend in round three of the All-Ireland SFC qualifiers.

"It wouldn't appeal to me. If you're playing in a 'B' championship you're seen as a lesser player," Foley told the Irish Independent.

"We'd never get a chance in a 'B' championship like we're getting on Saturday - playing a Division 1 team in a Round 3 qualifier at home before Sky TV cameras. That's where you want to be."

You see that's where he is wrong! If there was a last 12 or quarter final place for the second tier winners there would be a chance of playing a Division 1 team before Sky cameras. And they would have had a couple of games in the Championship and Silverware!

Rossfan

They'd have a nice shiny cup plus medals to display.
A home game in the last 12 for the Tier 2 winners.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on July 13, 2017, 03:21:29 PM
They'd have a nice shiny cup plus medals to display.
A home game in the last 12 for the Tier 2 winners.

You're actively turning people against the idea of a second tier with stuff like that.

Rossfan

Esmarelda

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 13, 2017, 03:05:50 PM

You see that's where he is wrong! If there was a last 12 or quarter final place for the second tier winners there would be a chance of playing a Division 1 team before Sky cameras. And they would have had a couple of games in the Championship and Silverware!
He's not wrong as I assume nobody suggested to him anything about being able to re-enter the AI series.

Farrandeelin

First of all we would need to know how many teams are in the second tier? 16, 12, 8? Secondly how would we rank them? Would it be based solely on league rankings every year? Would it create more emphasis on the league? Or should I say would year 1 be based on league rankings and the rest as up down relegation/promotion in the new championship format itself?

I have another question, why just because you won the second tier championship should you automatically be re-entered into the top tier 'last whatever number' as FtB says? Should that not be for the top tier counties only? People cite the junior, intermediate and senior model, but I have never known an intermediate winner to automatically be guaranteed a senior quarter final place?

I'm not trying to be awkward, just stating some questions that I'm sure individual county boards might ask if they were asked to vote on it.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

armaghniac

With all this talk of re-entry, can someone give an example of a county where the Intermediate champions are then allowed in the Senior championship semi finals?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Cunny Funt

Fair play to him talking sense there.

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on July 13, 2017, 03:44:25 PM
How exactly?

Trophies and medals have value because of the glory involved in winning them - collecting pointless trophies no one cares about would be like crowing about FBD titles. And R4 of the Quailifiers is hardly a carrot.

Rossfan

I totally favour the 3 tier Senior Inter Junior model as per Club Championships.
However I doubt I'll live to see it so we're talking what might pass Congress and what would the weak/ Hurling Counties go for.

Crete Boom

I think first the calender should be sorted out for clubs and county A compact season for both) , all counties get at least say four championship games at a minimum along with 7 league games and some sort of central pot for coaching and development is organised with the weakest teams being funded from this the most per head of population (ala draft position in American Football) , trial this for a decade , then if intercounty is as divided as it is now then go for a tiered championship!!

I just think not much really has been tried to even the playing field at all apart from the qualifiers but if weaker counties got a genuine chance to develop I think they could have success but we are always going to have bad counties and one sided games no matter what system is in place!! More games less training and a proper calender will give counties with a good plan a chance for succes in my opinion!!

( see I am asking for feck all change really ;D ;D ;D)

seafoid

I would be in favour of equal funding for all counties first. With zero drug/supplement bullshit.
If that doesn't work try tiering.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

So if Leitrim get more money per head than Dublin they'll become a top 4 team??

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on July 13, 2017, 06:30:35 PM
So if Leitrim get more money per head than Dublin they'll become a top 4 team??

You don't need to be a top four team to be a vibrant part of the championship..