Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor

Quote from: 5times5times on October 29, 2020, 12:23:32 PM
Quote from: Taylor on October 29, 2020, 09:56:37 AM
Quote from: wobbller on October 28, 2020, 11:40:46 PM
Two Cross men in charge of Burren?

Believe so - no expense spared there (yet again)

Yet you wont give the names? You'd know more about a fish supper you clown.

Do you think Moran + Gilligan are working for free?
Do you think McAleenan was working for free?
Do you think Poacher is working for free?
Do you think Harte is working for free?
Heck, even Shorty for Mitchells....free?

Give names?
Do you mean about Burren?

Sure the dogs on the street know who it is

You would think a man like yourself would have your finger on the pulse

5times5times

Quote from: Taylor on October 29, 2020, 01:02:55 PM

Give names?

You make a sly dig about Burren paying a manager, yet I listed other clubs, to which you ignored?

Sure the man on the street knows about Jim Gavin coming down the M1.......

SamFever

Quote from: 5times5times on October 29, 2020, 02:10:46 PM

Give names?

You make a sly dig about Burren paying a manager, yet I listed other clubs, to which you ignored?

Please tell us more

Taylor

Give names?

Very touchy - I didnt mention other clubs and didnt dispute that certain clubs pay managers.

I simply said 'no expense spared'.........which there isnt.

Unless off course you want to say otherwise

whitegoodman

You are sure on this ?

thewobbler

Who was the last manager from Down to win our SFC?

whitegoodman

5times5times

Quote from: upandwin on October 29, 2020, 08:31:35 AM
Some amount of complete gobshites on this forum...Smurph you aren't a Point man so quit trolling the board to get some attention...

On the manager merry-go-round, Mulholland is about as good an appointment as the point could get I think...good man manager by all accounts and that's a big part to play in CPN. The whatsapp group was a c**k up by (most likely) a young lad who was either on the beer in Belfast or maybe doesn't get too much game time and has a chip on their shoulder and is still in the senior chat for whatever reason. That being said, I didn't see a wild lot for people to be giving it so attention like would people expect a new manager to come in and say 'great to be involved lads, hoping for a few heavy defeats and maybe sneak a relegation play off win in October!!' f**k me some amount of morons with little else or no work to be at on a Wednesday to be sending messages around of a manager wanting to be successful with a new team...they've been the second best team in the county for 2/3yrs now so hardly a shock they'd try and win a championship...anyways just My opinion.

I see the great Stevey Poacher is staying with the Ford with Ciaran Brannigan stepping down...assume that will mean McKibbon will be back playing which is a massive boost for a team that looked decent last year but devoid of leaders when under the cosh...he'll be a big help to Poacher.

Is Pete McGrath still with the reds does anyone know? Who are the appointed team in Burren? Any other big appointments?

Big question is can anyone challenge Kilcoo for the SFC next year? My prediction would be no, unless there's a mass exodus of lads emigrating for work in the next five years they will be hard to stop...not because of talent but more to do with their shear refusal to lose. No other team in Down has the cojones to beat them...

McKibbin no longer with the Ford. Has moved to Neasden Gaels

OgraAnDun

Quote from: SamFever on October 29, 2020, 04:28:31 PM

Give names?

Please tell us more

More lies and slander... he's coming down in a helicopter  ;D

elk

Quote from: yewtree on October 29, 2020, 12:18:50 AM
Two massive appointments but not the two that were expected.

Burren were to go with an Ex County senior manager and a very high profile lively coach but it all went wrong when the two lads were insisting a very close relation be addition to management team. Burren players not happy with that addition so that appointment couldn't go through .Then at last minute they got another high profile man in.All not so happy in caravan land.

The Point on the other hand thought they had their number one target but just couldn't get it over the line.But in Shane Mulholland they have a real top manager and a very canny assistant in Mark Poland. Mark and Shane will bring a freshness to the Point and the reassuring thing is the players and changing room are all very excited to be working under Shane.Shane understands only too well the John Boyle position in terms of his football commitments.
All in all the mood about The Point is very positive about this management and feel it could be the key to at last getting over the line and an O'Hare Cup.
#
Who was their number one choice if not Mulholland ? 

OgraAnDun

Quote from: elk on October 30, 2020, 09:54:51 AM
Quote from: yewtree on October 29, 2020, 12:18:50 AM
Two massive appointments but not the two that were expected.

Burren were to go with an Ex County senior manager and a very high profile lively coach but it all went wrong when the two lads were insisting a very close relation be addition to management team. Burren players not happy with that addition so that appointment couldn't go through .Then at last minute they got another high profile man in.All not so happy in caravan land.

The Point on the other hand thought they had their number one target but just couldn't get it over the line.But in Shane Mulholland they have a real top manager and a very canny assistant in Mark Poland. Mark and Shane will bring a freshness to the Point and the reassuring thing is the players and changing room are all very excited to be working under Shane.Shane understands only too well the John Boyle position in terms of his football commitments.
All in all the mood about The Point is very positive about this management and feel it could be the key to at last getting over the line and an O'Hare Cup.
#
Who was their number one choice if not Mulholland ?

They were fighting it out with Burren for Jim Gavin

Smurfy123

Yesterday's defeat for Monaghan has got me thinking
Are we to quick to label lads as brilliant and innovative
Is innovative even that good? We hear these words fired out all the time. Innovative coach bla bla bla. Come the cut and trust of it once you pull away all the garbage around it the bottom line is it comes down to results and trophy's. Self proclaimed innovative coaches and managers are building up a big profile on the back of what may I add? Break it all down and what are the end results here?
Now let me say this these men have brought numerous trophies to their clubs but the don't label themselves
Bernie Ruane
Liam Howlett
Gervaise Poland
PJ McGreevey
Brendan McKernan
Jerome Johnstone
Marty Johnstone
PJ MCGee
Dessie Kennedy
Gerry Doherty

That's just some men off the top of my head that have guided their respective clubs a long way

McGreevey Clonduff underage and an all Ireland Feile
Johnstone's I'll say no more
Kennedy the all conquering Mayobridge team and Down minors
Ruane CPN Minor and 21 domination
McKernan Poland multiple Burren conquering teams

Any thoughts on this?
I would like to hear wobblers opinions on this one

terrifictommy

Really enjoyable game to watch yesterday alright. It's not over until the final whistle. That last free was superb. Did anyone happen to notice one of the Monaghan management team sneaking behind him, crossing the field. You can take the boy out of Down.....

Johnnysboys

Don't label all of Down in that vein please.. His antics didn't work though. On another note today I seen a referee who had the balls to move a free in when Rian O'Neill was kicking it and 3 Derry players were standing in front of him roaring at nothing in particular.. Imagine the amount of frees that would be moved forward against kilcoo if we had any referees (apart from Falloon) who had the stomach to stand up to them???  Knew the rule existed and knew they were getting away with murder..

Bernie Ruane won underage titles yes but had his chance with us at senior level and didn't cut it.
G Poland, McKernan are in back room teams but not front line there is a massive difference.  Johnston's had the success but mostly with 2 teams from the club. They ain't winnin as many 'A' titles further down the age groups. Last years minors could be their last for a while..

thewobbler

Smurfy, I doubt that these men are being overlooked so much as either having too much sense, or not having enough time, to manage their own clubs (or both).

——

The one thing that the mercenary managers of our association have managed to do over the past 20 years, is change the mindset of the average player.

Once upon a time, players had a better understanding of their natural bars. Not so much these days, where they're inclined to believe that the gap between them and a county player can be bridged through dedication to S&C, a risk-adverse playing style, and eons of stats to help them learn.

The problem for the player is that if county players also follow this regime, then the gap never actually closes. We just end up with a more boring game. But that doesn't stop their demands.

The problem for clubs is that players now demand absolute attention. They want to train 3-4 times a week, all year round, and must be able to enjoy neverending variations on the same drills. They demand someone to monitor their vital statistics and their explosive performance. They expect video and statistical analysis of their matches, whether friendlies against junior sides, or senior championship knockouts, and pretend to learn from this data - to the point that they want their in-house matches analysed same way. They gain fulfilment from a weekly hour long one-on-one call about match-ups and (mostly fictional) kick out routines and transition strategies.

——

The only person who can give that sort of commitment to players for any length of time, is someone who is retired, or someone on the payroll.

So whether the outside manager is better or not doesn't overly matter.

Chances are he's not. Have a look at the host of names on the Down circuit who've never improved a club, yet pick one up every year, and you could make a strong case that he's clearly not.

But he brings his time, which is what players want, and he usually brings all the pointless expensive tools like GPS analysis with him, which is also what players want. They don't know why. But they do know that if [insert rival club name] have it, then they must have it too.

I don't like it. But it's the world we live in.