Game of Thrones - Spoilers

Started by Dinny Breen, June 21, 2016, 10:49:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Quote from: Syferus on August 29, 2017, 12:03:55 AM
Quote from: screenexile on August 28, 2017, 11:15:29 PM
You have to wonder about people questioning whether a lad can swim to the top of a frozen lake in heavy clothes yet don't question when a dragon is brought back to life by "the dead"!

Just enjoy the show and try not to think about it so much you'll be all the better for it!

I'm sorry but that is utter nonsense.

Every show has its own internal logic - this happens to be a world where dragons, undead and magic actually exist. I don't remember getting the memo about fĂșcking gravity working differently for main characters..

A lot of GoT's internal logic though is determined by what the Gods want. As mentioned above, if the Gods want Jon Snow alive, then surely him floating to the top of a lake isn't that big an ask for them.

---

I expect that GoT will end up with a Wire style conclusion that history just repeats itself indefinitely, with whoever it is that gains the throne surrounding themselves with maesters and politicians, who set about hiding, romanticising and rewriting history according to their agendas. Over the course of 10 generations, it all becomes so distorted that nobody really remembers, and 15 generations later a deep descendant of Ned Stark is warning that winter is coming.

mrhardyannual

Looks like it will be 2019 before GoT returns.

clarshack

watched season 1 last July (2016) and tbh wasn't too fussed about it. left it 12 months before watching season 2 and since then i've watched the whole lot. just finished season 7 last night. glad i stuck with it as it's been superb. it's good not having to avoid all the spoilers now lol!

dec

So is anyone going to stay up until 2:00am Irish time to watch this, or try to avoid spoilers until Monday night. Easier for me in the US to watch at 9pm tonight. I only started watching in January so I have been binging on half a season a week, it will be a relief to be down to one episode a week.

screenexile

Going to chance getting up for it!! Will see if I can manage it!

ziggysego

Recording it at 2pm to watch sometime tomorrow at my own leisure.
Testing Accessibility

gallsman

Load of nonsense so far. f**king do something!

Estimator

Quote from: gallsman on April 15, 2019, 02:42:33 AM

**Spoilers**

Set the alarm and got up to watch it. Decent enough viewing.

The episode was always going to be scene setting and giving all the major players some screen time.  I think that everyone important appeared even if only for a few seconds.
Wasn't expecting too much action from the off.

I see Paddy Power are doing odds on 'Who will rule Westeros when Game of Thrones ends?', Noticed that Littlefinger was 12-1!!
There is a theory out there that it wasn't Littlefinger that Arya killed but one of the Faceless Men from Braavos!

On to points from the first episode:

Doesn't look like Jon was happy with the news.
The death of the Umber kid was very well done.
Great to see Bran and Jaime meeting again, and the Hound and Arya.
Ulster League Champions 2009

oakleaflad

Quote from: Estimator on April 15, 2019, 09:37:48 AM
Quote from: gallsman on April 15, 2019, 02:42:33 AM

**Spoilers**

Set the alarm and got up to watch it. Decent enough viewing.

The episode was always going to be scene setting and giving all the major players some screen time.  I think that everyone important appeared even if only for a few seconds.
Wasn't expecting too much action from the off.

I see Paddy Power are doing odds on 'Who will rule Westeros when Game of Thrones ends?', Noticed that Littlefinger was 12-1!!
There is a theory out there that it wasn't Littlefinger that Arya killed but one of the Faceless Men from Braavos!

On to points from the first episode:

Doesn't look like Jon was happy with the news.
The death of the Umber kid was very well done.
Great to see Bran and Jaime meeting again, and the Hound and Arya.
That's a good summary

gallsman

What should have been two absolutely epic moments were ruined - Jon riding Rhaegal (named after his father) and learning the truth of his parentage.

The former was almost like comic relief and reminded me of Harry Potter's first broomstick flying lesson while the latter was ruined by Sam being a bumbling mess. "I'm sorry".

Estimator

Quote from: gallsman on April 15, 2019, 01:44:28 PM
What should have been two absolutely epic moments were ruined - Jon riding Rhaegal (named after his father) and learning the truth of his parentage.

The former was almost like comic relief and reminded me of Harry Potter's first broomstick flying lesson while the latter was ruined by Sam being a bumbling mess. "I'm sorry".

I'd certainly agree that the two going for a spin on the dragons didn't work at all.
Ulster League Champions 2009

dec

ruined by Sam being a bumbling mess. "I'm sorry".

I thought that was true to Sam's character, he is a bit of a bumbling mess.

gallsman

Oh it was absolutely true to Sam as a character. My point is that I don't think that was the right manner in which to do the reveal. Some people have been waiting nearly 25 years for Jon to find out how parentage and it was all just a bit naff.

andoireabu

Quote from: gallsman on April 15, 2019, 06:36:47 PM
Oh it was absolutely true to Sam as a character. My point is that I don't think that was the right manner in which to do the reveal. Some people have been waiting nearly 25 years for Jon to find out how parentage and it was all just a bit naff.

How would you have done it?

Thought it was a good start showing where all the main hitters are and setting them up for the rest of the season. Was worth the wait
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

redcard

Quote from: Estimator on April 15, 2019, 03:47:29 PM

I'd certainly agree that the two going for a spin on the dragons didn't work at all.

If they had played "Raindrops keep falling on my head" during that scene it would have been so much better