Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on April 24, 2022, 09:44:47 AM
My word.....

At least we got to hear about Cargin U15s against Davitts.

The spin on this one is fantastic, yet entirely predictable.

No mention of 2 man ff line with the wind, discipline issues, poor decision making, physically smaller in most areas, or when we pressed them for final 10 minutes we managed to score 7 points but came back out and went 2 man again ! laboured passing across the pitch backwards passing..

No let's say it was a bad day at the office and Davitts are shit
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NatSoSaff

Yeah sorry  you're right MR2, the whole things a shambles 🙄, so what's your solution?

paddyjohn

I also can see it for what it was. Players froze, management with questionable tactics which frustrated us in the stand so I'm sure the players were also frustrated. Bit of ill discipline. A very poor ref, pity we didn't have Hurson on the whistle instead of the sideline.

For those throwing the Lenny H name into the mix, we had years of abject managers from within our own county doing the same with poor tactics, who remembers Frank Dawson V Roscommon in Casement?  there was and still is a belief within some of the players that Enda McGinley is the man. This group will be as gutted as the next but let's not bash them. These things happen and let's get it into context here, it's a game of football. There are more important things in life.

We'll go again. Up the Saffs

The Trap

Outside view.......why not really go for the Tailtean Cup? Yes it was a bad showing yesterday but it hasn't been a bad 2 years.....louth will probably end up with a hammering at some stage this year......limerick too......its how you bounce back. And the new competition gives you that chance. Who is there to really fear if you give it your all? I can see why a Down might turn the nose up but for most counties this is a fantastic opportunity to build. Go for it!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NatSoSaff on April 24, 2022, 11:07:24 AM
Yeah sorry  you're right MR2, the whole things a shambles 🙄, so what's your solution?

Who mentioned the whole thing?

But let's deflect by saying it's because Belfast isn't winning titles ! Christ the night.  Div 3  secured early on, positive results and close loses, so playing at home against a team below us in the leagues and we came out with negative tactics. This is meant to be the highlight of the year.

To ask you the question why were players playing out of position? And if 1 or 2 aren't up to it as you put it, why were they selected?

We looked punctured at the end, even during it. Our conditioning wasnt the same against a team playing league football below us.

You're at home, sizeable support positive league, at least die with your boots on and give it a lash, nothing to lose. I've been on the other threads talking about the second tier competition, div 3 and 4 teams should not be competing for Sam.

Plenty on here have been very negative about lots of teams and offered no solution other than, we are alright. If you can't smell the bullshit by some I can't help you
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Gold

Quote from: paddyjohn on April 24, 2022, 11:21:12 AM
I also can see it for what it was. Players froze, management with questionable tactics which frustrated us in the stand so I'm sure the players were also frustrated. Bit of ill discipline. A very poor ref, pity we didn't have Hurson on the whistle instead of the sideline.

For those throwing the Lenny H name into the mix, we had years of abject managers from within our own county doing the same with poor tactics, who remembers Frank Dawson V Roscommon in Casement?  there was and still is a belief within some of the players that Enda McGinley is the man. This group will be as gutted as the next but let's not bash them. These things happen and let's get it into context here, it's a game of football. There are more important things in life.

We'll go again. Up the Saffs

Reality is our wins from 1982 in Ulster are:

2000 v Down at home
2003 v Cavan at home
2009 v Donegal away and Cavan at Clones
2014 v Fermanagh away

5 wins in 40 years wasn't the best form going in to yesterday.

But any time we face Cavan or Fermanagh we always are expectant as they aren't Tyrone or Donegal

But yesterday was listless, absolutely no f**king bite bar Ryan Murray and Tomas before half time.

The taking off of 1 of our most potent forwards at halftime Eastwood fucked me off....just the usual, we're not playing well take off the corner forward shite.

He had 2 long balls kicked over his head by Murray, spilled one ball he had at the start and mis timed another ball in the sun......off f**king scraps. He is a threat all game though and taking him off for no replacement in FF line was shocking

The f**king handpassing. Handpsssing to the nearest man for no reason when the man wasn't even committed etc

Handpass fucked up for our goal chance too

I'm better not thinking about it!
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

NatSoSaff

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 24, 2022, 11:38:14 AM

But let's deflect by saying it's because Belfast isn't winning titles ! Christ the night.  Div 3  secured early on, positive results and close loses, so playing at home against a team below us in the leagues and we came out with negative tactics. This is meant to be the highlight of the year.

To ask you the question why were players playing out of position? And if 1 or 2 aren't up to it as you put it, why were they selected?

We looked punctured at the end, even during it. Our conditioning wasnt the same against a team playing league football below us.

You're at home, sizeable support positive league, at least die with your boots on and give it a lash, nothing to lose. I've been on the other threads talking about the second tier competition, div 3 and 4 teams should not be competing for Sam.

Plenty on here have been very negative about lots of teams and offered no solution other than, we are alright. If you can't smell the bullshit by some I can't help you

You're pointing out what we already know, but in my opinion it's been a fairly isolated day in the grand scheme of things whereby so much has gone wrong (yes, including from the sideline). But hey, shit happens. To make this into some kind of 'crisis' is completely naive and is the type of crap that spirals from our supporters and leads to managerial changes, ultimately bringing us back to square one. I don't want that. I think anyone who doesn't see progress behind what was a hugely disappointing day, is completely blinkered to be honest.

I agree with previous poster on tailteann cup. It's should be where the focus is on. Regrouping and giving that 100% is what I expect as a supporter. And I hope to see it.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NatSoSaff on April 24, 2022, 12:12:23 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 24, 2022, 11:38:14 AM

You're pointing out what we already know, but in my opinion it's been a fairly isolated day in the grand scheme of things whereby so much has gone wrong (yes, including from the sideline). But hey, shit happens. To make this into some kind of 'crisis' is completely naive and is the type of crap that spirals from our supporters and leads to managerial changes, ultimately bringing us back to square one. I don't want that. I think anyone who doesn't see progress behind what was a hugely disappointing day, is completely blinkered to be honest.

I agree with previous poster on tailteann cup. It's should be where the focus is on. Regrouping and giving that 100% is what I expect as a supporter. And I hope to see it.

Unfortunately it will be a new Tommy Murphy cup. The tailteann cup will not get enough of a buy in.. it should be intermediate all Ireland championship for div 3 and 4 teams... no teams at that level should be competing for Sam.. it's like a div club team trying to compete at Senior level.

marty34

Quote from: bannside on April 24, 2022, 12:10:44 AM
Hey Duine, yes you're 100% right. I did back it, thought it had real potential. Even though none of Enda Stevie Sean had anything that remotely successful on their CV's I liked the look of the punt, and backed the appointment.

Look, we can get it wrong at times. I am big enough to admit that this isn't going well. And in a constructive way I applaud you for challenging me on that.

Where was Enda etc. at before this?

bannside

Enda Swatragh. Stevie Dungiven. Sean St Galls.

No sign of any of them delivering progress during those stints.

But they are all young enough, still on a steep learning curve -  the hope was they could collectively deliver something. Some believe they have, I'm personally not convinced at all tbh. I see far too many fundamentals missing for my liking.

Don't take any satisfaction saying that - would much rather be saying the opposite. Hopefully Pat Spillane will spare us his bi annual rant about how big a disgrace we are on live television tonight.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bannside on April 24, 2022, 01:30:05 PM

But they are all young enough, still on a steep learning curve -  the hope was they could collectively deliver something. Some believe they have, I'm personally not convinced at all tbh. I see far too many fundamentals missing for my liking.

Don't take any satisfaction saying that - would much rather be saying the opposite. Hopefully Pat Spillane will spare us his bi annual rant about how big a disgrace we are on live television tonight.

We've done enough ranting on here about various performances in the past to not worry about Spillane

NatSoSaff

By 'far too many fundamentals missing' for your liking BS, can you give examples? Is it just fundamentals from Saturdays performance? Or have you seen a lacking in these fundamental issues over a sustained period of this managements reign? I'm not (intentionally) being pedantic or obtuse, but I just can't wrap my head around the notion that progress has not been made. Particularly as we are in a position now to give the tailteann cup a good rattle, challenge again for promotion to division 2 next season, and have a handful of young players showing they are capable of coming in and improving the team further next year.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NatSoSaff on April 24, 2022, 02:39:09 PM

By 'far too many fundamentals missing' for your liking BS, can you give examples? Is it just fundamentals from Saturdays performance? Or have you seen a lacking in these fundamental issues over a sustained period of this managements reign? I'm not (intentionally) being pedantic or obtuse, but I just can't wrap my head around the notion that progress has not been made. Particularly as we are in a position now to give the tailteann cup a good rattle, challenge again for promotion to division 2 next season, and have a handful of young players showing they are capable of coming in and improving the team further next year.

I think most posts have been about the match, I'm not sure where you're going with anything else

EOC1923

I would say there is definitely satisfaction with you BS. Wee digs here and there, the management had no success previously etc, Lenny ran the same team close etc etc. Tedious.

country bumpkin

Quote from: EOC1923 on April 24, 2022, 05:37:20 PM

I would say there is definitely satisfaction with you BS. Wee digs here and there, the management had no success previously etc, Lenny ran the same team close etc etc. Tedious.

I would suggest Enda may well be considering his options
no insight as to such.
But am also more than sure whatever comments made here will not ruffle his feathers at all.

Do know that there will not be a long queue of applicants if he does look to abandon ship.....hope not.