Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flanker

Quote from: country bumpkin on April 25, 2022, 01:43:13 PM
Jeez, I am at a loss to understand why we need the services of outside management.

Lotta experts within.....

"Experienced advisor or a proven coach being added to the setup"

No mention of outside manager.

Acknowledged progress in some areas

Not an Expert but Allowed to have an opinion

Feel free to answer any of the questions posed, contest any of the points

I have no axe to grind with anyone

Look forward to the answers & points contested in a constructive manner

JimStynes

Down are crap, Armagh were brutal yesterday and antrim are always crap. Aghagallon men are running out of counties that they can support.

country bumpkin

Quote from: JimStynes on April 25, 2022, 03:06:20 PM
Down are crap, Armagh were brutal yesterday and antrim are always crap. Aghagallon men are running out of counties that they can support.

Move to Toome then JS....Derry next door and Tyrone just up the road....

imtommygunn

The jury is still out on derry too!

Sportacus

Would agree with Rodger Mona's assessment above.  Standard of underage games I have watched is generally very ordinary. Even so, each year there'll be a couple of decent county minors with potential - does anyone even keep track of them to put them on a pathway to the county senior set up? 

And I've a feeling Tyrone will have far too much for Derry. 

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: country bumpkin on April 24, 2022, 09:28:12 AM
Quote from: NatSoSaff on April 24, 2022, 08:44:11 AM
A lot of overreaction (shock horror). I for one can see it for what it was, a very bad day at the office. Some players froze, some spectacularly underperformed, and some played out of position which was alien to them, and 1 or 2 maybe just weren't (or sadly aren't) up to it. It was a cocktail of disappointment on the biggest day of the year for us unfortunately. However, are you seriously now saying we are in such a bad place after a couple of poor league performances against decent division 3 sides and a defeat to a resurgent Cavan side (who were Ulster champions no time ago)? Get your heads out of your ass! I for one was against the managements appointment at the time, but you can't ignore, despite the lack of merit or any form of qualifying CV's, that these lads have restored pride in wanting to play for Antrim. They've created an environment where as much is expected of players in terms of commitment and application as would be in Tyrone or Donegal etc. They've taken us from ambling around in division 4 to competing for division 2 status. Those of you now predictably turning on management as usual, what is your alternative for the county now? Let's hear it. A good bit of cop on required lads. I know we're all hurting, and questions rightly need asking, but cut the 'all is lost' bull s"@& narrative please.

Totally agree with every word NSS....
A bad day at the office was an adequate summary of events yesterday.
We started badly with several unforced errors from lads who had been leading the way all season led the narrative.

Mc Ginley and co have led us to a better place in my opinion and unfortunately there are those within, for whatever reason are more than quick to put the boot in...

A resurgent Cavan ran over us, and we must learn the lesson given.

Some former leaders of the pack in our county need to have a honest look within.

In former days we looked to clubs like, St John's, St Gall's, Rossa, to lead the way.....where are they now.
Belfast sides have obviously neglected their duties of care to their youth policies....
Watched Cargin under-15s totally demolish a Davitts side on their own patch on Thursday evening, and such underlines the demise of our games in one of the largest cities in Ireland.

Who within us would have believed if Nostrodamus had predicted six out of the last senior football championships heading to the South West in the past seven years?

I think a few within need to grab hold of their proverbial heads and acknowledge the stark realities.

Nobody cares more or hurts more today than Enda Mc Ginley, Stephen O' Neill, Sean Kelly and all those lads who have given a huge amount to raise our profile..

Some need to get a grip, look around and emerge blinking into the real world.
Neglected youth policies in Belfast??????? U mean they have stuck close to the rule book on Amateurism

imtommygunn

I don't know why this has become a country city thing but anything relating to money, your goto, if it changes hands does so at senior level not youth level  :o

EOC1923

Just read Maddens critique of the Antrim performance on Saturday in yesterdays Irish News. Have to agree with everything he said. BUT having watched Creggan lose to Cargin in that dire final a few years ago, where a point down they still kept everyone behind the ball to the end and also having watched Swatraghs meek surrender to Glen last season not sure he is best placed to comment. Maybe he has learned lessons through these defeats, I'm assuming that is the case.

NAG1

Quote from: EOC1923 on April 26, 2022, 08:03:51 AM
Just read Maddens critique of the Antrim performance on Saturday in yesterdays Irish News. Have to agree with everything he said. BUT having watched Creggan lose to Cargin in that dire final a few years ago, where a point down they still kept everyone behind the ball to the end and also having watched Swatraghs meek surrender to Glen last season not sure he is best placed to comment. Maybe he has learned lessons through these defeats, I'm assuming that is the case.

TBF it is kind of kettle and pot here EOC, Antrim employed pretty much the same tactics as Madden's teams have done in the past. Also in that final there was another team involved who hardly shot the lights out either.

That final should have been a wake up call to the whole county and the County Board. That was the way football in the county was heading and we are still on that path. Absolutely dire, no matter what coach is invovled.

EOC1923

That final was poor but that wasn't my point. The following years final was a classic and last years semis were both good games. Point was more aimed at Kevin not being best placed to comment on it given recent seasons and his own teams styles and the fashion they exited the championship. As I said I actually agreed with his whole article.

bannside

Read Kevin's article too, and he's spot on. He called out the lack of support play, eg the runner had very few sensible lay off options. Also that every team needs two or three touch tight defenders as a priority. Taking half forwards and turning them into designated corner backs was always going to come back to bite at some stage.

Irish News also didn't hold back from calling it out as a bit of a shitshow too. One team was well prepared, the other was nowhere near at championship pitch.

Maybe management and team can regroup, go through a few rounds of the Tailltean with a kind draw, but from what I see, this bubble has burst.

Lár na páirce 1

Quote from: NAG1 on April 26, 2022, 08:16:42 AM

TBF it is kind of kettle and pot here EOC, Antrim employed pretty much the same tactics as Madden's teams have done in the past. Also in that final there was another team involved who hardly shot the lights out either.

That final should have been a wake up call to the whole county and the County Board. That was the way football in the county was heading and we are still on that path. Absolutely dire, no matter what coach is invovled.

Was there as much negativity in 1987 when at galls beat cargin 0-5 to 0-4, reality is its all about winning

EOC1923

Quote from: bannside on April 26, 2022, 08:51:31 AM
Read Kevin's article too, and he's spot on. He called out the lack of support play, eg the runner had very few sensible lay off options. Also that every team needs two or three touch tight defenders as a priority. Taking half forwards and turning them into designated corner backs was always going to come back to bite at some stage.

Irish News also didn't hold back from calling it out as a bit of a shitshow too. One team was well prepared, the other was nowhere near at championship pitch.

Maybe management and team can regroup, go through a few rounds of the Tailltean with a kind draw, but from what I see, this bubble has burst.
Yes he was right, but do Kevins teams do the above?

Dunsilly King

Quote from: EOC1923 on April 26, 2022, 08:32:30 AM
That final was poor but that wasn't my point. The following years final was a classic and last years semis were both good games. Point was more aimed at Kevin not being best placed to comment on it given recent seasons and his own teams styles and the fashion they exited the championship. As I said I actually agreed with his whole article.

The semi final that year of Cargin against St Galls was one of the best games I have watched in club football. Creggan don't play like that now.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Lár na páirce 1 on April 26, 2022, 08:56:38 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on April 26, 2022, 08:16:42 AM

Was there as much negativity in 1987 when at galls beat cargin 0-5 to 0-4, reality is its all about winning

Up in Rasharkin, Christ that was poor, was it not 1990? Think I was minor that year, St Johns played St Endas in the minor final, could be wrong.. I don't know why the tactics were so poor that day considering it wasn't bad weather wise and both teams were not known for that style
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea