Best/Most Disappointing Places You Have Visited

Started by Canalman, June 20, 2008, 12:57:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snapchap

A couple of brief observations:

1. If you think anyone who isn't middle or upper class is a "sc**bag", then you are the very definition of the word yourself.
2. Absolutely bizarre enough to think anyone might as much as dislike Donegal, but to say it's among the worst places you've ever been? That must be an attempt at attention seeking? If not then what sort of joyless wonders are there in this world? If Donegal doesn't blow you away, then as someone else suggested, it's maybe you that's the problem.

Ash Smoker

A lot of people disappointed with Santa Ponsa and the Canary Islands. What were they expecting when they booked there?

trailer

Quote from: Armamike on October 03, 2022, 03:36:10 PM
Not an exhaustive list.

Best:

Grand Canyon
Savannah (pretty unique)
New York
Berlin
Barcelona
San Francisco
Prague
Amalfi coast
Antrim Glens
Galway
Ring of Kerry

Worst:

Phoenix
Paris
Strabane
Dungannon
Keady  :)

Why would you "visit" these places? Dungannon doesn't even have a hotel!

trailer

Quote from: Snapchap on October 04, 2022, 10:20:11 AM
A couple of brief observations:

1. If you think anyone who isn't middle or upper class is a "sc**bag", then you are the very definition of the word yourself.
2. Absolutely bizarre enough to think anyone might as much as dislike Donegal, but to say it's among the worst places you've ever been? That must be an attempt at attention seeking? If not then what sort of joyless wonders are there in this world? If Donegal doesn't blow you away, then as someone else suggested, it's maybe you that's the problem.

Donegal? Not for me Bill.

thewobbler

Quote from: Ash Smoker on October 04, 2022, 10:57:43 AM
A lot of people disappointed with Santa Ponsa and the Canary Islands. What were they expecting when they booked there?

I'm always amused by this too. If you've got 5-star tastes (and the means to pay) then why go to 3-star parts of the world and expect it to be something else?

Probably the most disappointing city I've been to was Toronto, but in context. The context being that is just spent 4 days in a balmy busy New York, which was absolutely electric. Similarly, Orlando's nightlife after a spring break in Daytona Beach, was very pedestrian, but context is everything.

rrhf

imtommygunn

I stayed in a great place in Leitrim recently. An air b and b up the side of a mountain that was in a farmers yard lol.

rosskarr

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 04, 2022, 12:56:57 PM
I stayed in a great place in Leitrim recently. An air b and b up the side of a mountain that was in a farmers yard lol.
Is that Co Leitrim or our own Liatroim?

imtommygunn

Armamike

That's just, like your opinion man.

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: Armamike on October 04, 2022, 02:29:24 PM
Would add Boston to best places visited.
Definitely agree on Boston, would add  New York, Budapest, Malaga & Berlin to my list. Brussels,  Malta and Amsterdam would be places I wouldn't go back to 

BrotherMore6592

I'm glad I saw Italy (Rome, Florence, sorrento) but I wouldn't care if I never went back to Italy. Other countries in Europe are cleaner, more hospitable and cheaper IMO. Their transport is absolutely awful apart from their high speed trains which are excellent.
Not the friendliest hosts either.

The amalfi coast has some stunning views but has to be one of the most overrated places ever. Very glad I stayed in sorrento and not positano / amalfi/ ravello, very small places full of influencers / posers and not a whole pile to do

tyrone08

Quote from: BrotherMore6592 on October 04, 2022, 03:41:41 PM
I'm glad I saw Italy (Rome, Florence, sorrento) but I wouldn't care if I never went back to Italy. Other countries in Europe are cleaner, more hospitable and cheaper IMO. Their transport is absolutely awful apart from their high speed trains which are excellent.
Not the friendliest hosts either.

The amalfi coast has some stunning views but has to be one of the most overrated places ever. Very glad I stayed in sorrento and not positano / amalfi/ ravello, very small places full of influencers / posers and not a whole pile to do

What was sorrento like. Heading there next year

imtommygunn

It's fantastic but you have never seen driving like it. Vesuvius, Pompeii, Sorento itself and places like Amalfi and Positano then you have capri where you can go on a boat.

I did the bus trip part of the way to Amalfi and like half the bus we got off at the first stop (Positano which is really nice) as the driving was horrendous and near the whole bus was going to be sick.

Still worth the bus trip to experience it.

Luigi's Irish bar is a great spot too ;D Or there's a scottish bar run by his son. I was there the weekend of an AI hurling final and had all these people asking me what this crazy game was.

tyrone08

Cheers. I have have heard the driving is mental. Was toying either the idea of hiring a car but think I will give it a miss lol