Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Some scoring in the league final. Poor Gearoid scores 3-14 and still loses, unbelievable.

I see that McVeety played for the lough, anyone know is he sticking around now or away again?

mrdeeds

Westside

A barely believable tally from Gearoid.

I was a bit surprised at Pierce Smith over throwing digs at Gearoid after the winning score. Thought he seemed like a lad with more sense.

Look-Up!

Gearoid a big handful for anyone when he gets the service. Crosserlough had no one to handle him in a very open game. I'd imagine the championship game mightn't be as open. With a cup in the bag, Patrick Lynch to come back and McVeety to improve the Lough should be very happy going into championship. Still question marks over them in their tenancy to let teams back into it but they are still formidable opponents. First round game very important now for both teams. No matter who you are you lose the first one you're under pressure straight away and sweating on the draw a bit.   

Itchy

Mickey Graham signs up for another 2 years.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Itchy on August 08, 2022, 11:28:38 PM

Cavan supporters happy enough with that or wanted to see a fresh approach? rare enough for any manager to see past 3 or 4 years with any county team nowadays.  McGeeney Armagh,Collins Clare some of the few that are given an extended period of time in their roles.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

marty34

Quote from: Blowitupref on August 09, 2022, 12:07:46 AM
Quote from: Itchy on August 08, 2022, 11:28:38 PM

Cavan supporters happy enough with that or wanted to see a fresh approach? rare enough for any manager to see past 3 or 4 years with any county team nowadays.  McGeeney Armagh,Collins Clare some of the few that are given an extended period of time in their roles.

Maybe that's the way to go, instead of 2 years, new manager, 2 years, another new manager etc.

Bit of continunity instead of the quick turn around and quick fix.

I wonder give county boards a say, 2 year plan?

E.g. in first year our aim is to finish 4 in NFL and win first championship game and second year our target is get promoted etc. Like a business type plan.

Anybody know?

Or is it just you have it for 2 years, see how you get on.

Look-Up!

I'd say it's a mixed bag from Cavan fans. Some happy to see him stay, some not so much. Personally I think he's a poor IC manager overall but there is no obvious replacement. Either way the most important thing is that he has the full backing of the players. It would be interesting to know what the reaction from players would be if it was put to them like with the previous two managers. Doesn't look like this was bothered with which is a worry but maybe not as big a worry as some of the replacement rumours I heard.

Itchy

I think after 3 years done and things have gone stale that he should have gone and gone with a fairly decent legacy left behind him. I think a poor year next year and he will start to ruin his legacy. Now that been said, who was the alternative. I see a couple of really poor appointments already this year (Antrim and Meath, Mayo likely to go with McStay would be another) so only change the manager if you have a better alternative. We dont seem to have one. I hope he gets rid of Johnston and Ricey from his back room team as both are not up to it but no doubt he wont and that could be his downfall.

Look-Up!

If you believe the rumours Bonner was the number 1 target if he left. Plausible I suppose but not exactly awe inspiring. Anyway 2 more years it is but there is absolutely no way IMO he will see that out if we have another annus horribilis. I'll not use the word "minimum requirement" as it's meaningless going on last few years with no consequences for failure to achieve it, but it would be great to get to Division 2 next year. Falling short of that it depends on performances. If we fall just short with green shoots but some bad luck thrown in then that's forgivable. Maybe redemption in TC. But if we find ourselves in a relegation scare or God forbid back in Division 4 then we need rid ASAP and start the long overdue rebuild. I think we need to focus on the league first and foremost and forget this BS that was peddled that it doesn't matter. The league is a massive reflection on the health of your squad and it's strength in depth. In this regard we have free-falled very badly last 4 years.

Denn Forever

Are we deluding our selves about how good we are?  The armagh senior final was on TG4 yesterday and do we have players who wouldn't look outt  of place playing in that game?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Itchy

Quote from: Denn Forever on September 12, 2022, 11:55:29 AM
Are we deluding our selves about how good we are?  The armagh senior final was on TG4 yesterday and do we have players who wouldn't look outt  of place playing in that game?

Population of Armagh = 175k with 44 clubs (1 club to 3.9k)
Population of Cavan = 81k with 40 clubs (1 club to 2k)

Probably the biggest reason our clubs dont stand up well against other counties is because we've got a diluted club scene

mrdeeds

Wasn't a final.

Dreadnought

Quote from: Itchy on September 12, 2022, 12:28:52 PM

Probably the biggest reason our clubs dont stand up well against other counties is because we've got a diluted club scene

I do agree we have too many clubs, but Armagh with a city and a lot of the other persuaion there, that ratio would come down a lot with who actually is involved in GAA.

We do need to get to 35 or so clubs. Sounds harsh, but likes of Maghera, some clubs in West Cavan and some others could easily merge or be absorbed going forward. We'd have 3 better Championships with maybe 12 teams each. Didn't that report Cavan GAA commissioned years back (Quinn or someone?) mention that we've too many clubs and need to go down by 5 or so for population?

Itchy

Quote from: Dreadnought on September 28, 2022, 04:19:23 PM
Quote from: Itchy on September 12, 2022, 12:28:52 PM

I do agree we have too many clubs, but Armagh with a city and a lot of the other persuaion there, that ratio would come down a lot with who actually is involved in GAA.

We do need to get to 35 or so clubs. Sounds harsh, but likes of Maghera, some clubs in West Cavan and some others could easily merge or be absorbed going forward. We'd have 3 better Championships with maybe 12 teams each. Didn't that report Cavan GAA commissioned years back (Quinn or someone?) mention that we've too many clubs and need to go down by 5 or so for population?

What's Arnagh having a city got to do with anything and it's only a city in name anyway, much smaller than say Dundalk down the road. Yes if you exclude protestants from the calculation the ratio would change but why would you do that.