Best way to decide drawn games

Started by Eamonnca1, June 27, 2022, 04:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onefineday

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on June 27, 2022, 05:21:22 PM
What about taking 45s out of your hands. Would possibly help improve players ability to score long range points, a skill that sadly appears to be on the wane

Scoring long range points a skill on the wane?? I would contend the present generation are streets ahead on this aspect of the game (as they are in most skills).

onefineday

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on June 27, 2022, 06:49:14 PM
Personally not a fan of "WOTD" for the first game in a knockout fixture, though I understand why the GAA have this in place for the current, more condensed intercounty championship calendar for this year at least. Personally I'd have gone for a replay AET for this coming Thursday or Friday evening in Salthill (namely that as provincial champions, Galway should have home advantage in this case) with the replay itself having to be decided on the night.
In theory that makes sense, and the first few times it'd be gratefully accepted, but within a few years the reason for it would be forgotten and we'd have the moans from managers about recovery times and the winners needing more time to recover etc etc.
Maybe a good starting point would be to remove this ridiculous rule that extra time is a 'new game' and have all cards issued during games continue into extra time, then we mightn't have the issue arise, or probably wouldn't in this instance!

tyrone08

Quote from: onefineday on June 28, 2022, 06:00:43 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on June 27, 2022, 06:49:14 PM
Personally not a fan of "WOTD" for the first game in a knockout fixture, though I understand why the GAA have this in place for the current, more condensed intercounty championship calendar for this year at least. Personally I'd have gone for a replay AET for this coming Thursday or Friday evening in Salthill (namely that as provincial champions, Galway should have home advantage in this case) with the replay itself having to be decided on the night.
In theory that makes sense, and the first few times it'd be gratefully accepted, but within a few years the reason for it would be forgotten and we'd have the moans from managers about recovery times and the winners needing more time to recover etc etc.
Maybe a good starting point would be to remove this ridiculous rule that extra time is a 'new game' and have all cards issued during games continue into extra time, then we mightn't have the issue arise, or probably wouldn't in this instance!

Agree. Never understood if someone acted like a knob during a match and was on a yellow why it suddenly disappears in extra time. It's still the same game so until that is over the cards should carry through.

Itchy

First to get 2 points or a goal.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Louther on June 28, 2022, 03:43:51 PM
It's penalties all day if there is no replay.

Some utter nonsense suggested and I hope most of it is in jest.

Like everything in the GAA when something happens everyone that doesn't like it gets a platform and starts shouting. They never shout before the event. Or offer alternatives before or after. They just shout.

These two statements contradict each other. This thread is full of alternatives.

Blowitupref

Quote from: blanketattack on June 28, 2022, 04:19:05 PM
Some of the rhetoric after the penalty shootout is ridiculous e.g.
- Penalties are completely alien to Gaelic footballers
- Penalties are borrowed from soccer

Do people not realise there are penalties already in Gaelic football when the ref blows for a foul within the large parallelogram?

There were penalties in Gaelic Football before there were penalties in soccer.
Also, the idea of penalties in soccer came from Ireland.

You can score a point with those penalties and if you kick it over the bar in soccer its not counted as score.  Penalty shootout are goals only that count and i think the hockey penalty shootout would be more suitable to GAA.

Quote from: onefineday on June 28, 2022, 05:54:21 PM
What about taking 45s out of your hands. Would possibly help improve players ability to score long range points, a skill that sadly appears to be on the wane

Scoring long range points a skill on the wane?? I would contend the present generation are streets ahead on this aspect of the game (as they are in most skills).

The art of place kicking is on the wane. Loads of teams use goalkeepers to kick long range frees or 45s nowadays and most are not very good at it either.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

GAABoardMod5

2 x 5 min periods.

Then 2 more 5 min periods.

Then 3 penalties.  Same kickers continue if more that 3 needed.

Champion The Wonder Horse

1. Free kicks off the ground from various distances and angles like the rugby boys do.
2. Penalties, but let the opposition choose at least two of the penalty takers:

Milltown Row2

Are they told not to shoot then?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

rosnarun

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 28, 2022, 08:04:37 PM

Are they told not to shoot then?

yes untill they are sure . dublin being the prime example but if that plan does not work few better team for long range shooting.

but it is easier now as the ball is always Dry and pitches are smoother and there is less chance of having you head taken off in a tackle
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

armaghniac

They should have used a crowd clapometer.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

tbrick18

In true reality TV fashion, a public vote on who they think are deserving winners. Participating counties can't vote.
After all, everyone on the message board is right, so the public would also be right  ;) ;) ;) ;D

Nothing wrong with penalties in my mind.
I also dont mind that matches need to have a winner on the day.

I do agree though that I think cards should carry over. Extra time is an extension of the full game so I dont understand why cards don't already follow through.

What about instead of penalties, the team with the least number of cards and/or the team that committed the least amount of fouls? Would address any discipline issues? Referee could take some flak in this scenario though.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: tbrick18 on June 29, 2022, 02:00:08 PM
In true reality TV fashion, a public vote on who they think are deserving winners. Participating counties can't vote.
After all, everyone on the message board is right, so the public would also be right  ;) ;) ;) ;D

Nothing wrong with penalties in my mind.
I also dont mind that matches need to have a winner on the day.

I do agree though that I think cards should carry over. Extra time is an extension of the full game so I dont understand why cards don't already follow through.

What about instead of penalties, the team with the least number of cards and/or the team that committed the least amount of fouls? Would address any discipline issues? Referee could take some flak in this scenario though.

At club level I would end up in the boot of some car after the match!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Louther

I'd propose a Squid Game Green light/Red Light game from one end line to the other. Keep going until last man standing. And sure feck it, up to all Ireland final use a paintball gun but for final it should be live ammunition.

Eire90

if a weaker team manage to take the games to penalty and upset a big fave would their be much complaning example if somehow cork took dublin to pens and won would they be talking about the penalty's or the upset