Armagh v Galway AIQF

Started by tonto1888, June 13, 2022, 03:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 01, 2022, 05:17:13 PM
So in short there nothing in the future to prevent further pile ins, GAA never grasped suspensions to be match related.
Melees are great for TAM ratings. They also drive pub sales and the average GAAboard match discussion can be up to 60% longer because of a melee. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

tyrone08

Quote from: Applesisapples on July 01, 2022, 04:56:57 PM
Bar has now been set for these melee's, lets see consistency.

The bar was set at the tryrone game but didn't apply to armagh for some reason for the Donegal game

Rossfan

Quote from: gallsman on July 01, 2022, 04:38:18 PM
Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on July 01, 2022, 04:20:54 PM
Quote from: gallsman on July 01, 2022, 04:11:48 PM
Given he shouldn't even have been on the pitch, six months that won't actually prevent him from playing anything he otherwise would have done seems very lenient.
Not if you consider that many others involved in the melee "shouldn't have been on the pitch" and they received no punishment at all.
Or indeed, that anyone contributing to a melee carries a punishment yet the vast majority of those who contributed received no punishment at all.
And then put that alongside previous punishments handed out for eye gouging. 6 months actually seems harsh.

I'm ignorant of the procedures and framework here, but there should clearly be a distinction between the match day panel, management etc who should be "inside the rope" and everyone else on the outside.
The "outside the rope crowd"  usually all join the rest to go to the dressing rooms.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

gallsman

Quote from: Rossfan on July 01, 2022, 05:34:32 PM
Quote from: gallsman on July 01, 2022, 04:38:18 PM
Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on July 01, 2022, 04:20:54 PM
Quote from: gallsman on July 01, 2022, 04:11:48 PM
Given he shouldn't even have been on the pitch, six months that won't actually prevent him from playing anything he otherwise would have done seems very lenient.
Not if you consider that many others involved in the melee "shouldn't have been on the pitch" and they received no punishment at all.
Or indeed, that anyone contributing to a melee carries a punishment yet the vast majority of those who contributed received no punishment at all.
And then put that alongside previous punishments handed out for eye gouging. 6 months actually seems harsh.

I'm ignorant of the procedures and framework here, but there should clearly be a distinction between the match day panel, management etc who should be "inside the rope" and everyone else on the outside.
The "outside the rope crowd"  usually all join the rest to go to the dressing rooms.

Something else to be looked at that will never be addressed.. Very easy to sort out as well if anyone was bothered.

yellowcard

What exact offence has Kelly been charged with to arrive at the 6 month suspension? I can't find anywhere where it has been stated what he has been charged with. It seems all very cloak and dagger. Or are they afraid to cite 'gouging' since they know that other players have got one match bans in the past for the same offence. It looks to be a make it up as they go along setup based on the level of outcry and profile of the match. If it happens again in a match of a lesser stature is it a one match ban or a 6 month ban.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: yellowcard on July 01, 2022, 06:50:51 PM
What exact offence has Kelly been charged with to arrive at the 6 month suspension? I can't find anywhere where it has been stated what he has been charged with. It seems all very cloak and dagger. Or are they afraid to cite 'gouging' since they know that other players have got one match bans in the past for the same offence. It looks to be a make it up as they go along setup based on the level of outcry and profile of the match. If it happens again in a match of a lesser stature is it a one match ban or a 6 month ban.

He'd have got a 1 game ban if he'd been part of the panel of 26 but he wasn't so there's the difference with McMahon & McKinless.

If a spectator had run on the pitch and committed the offence he'd have got a lot longer then 6 months.

By all reports he's a good lad and considering his injury a 6 month ban suits all parties and the GAA have been seen to have dealt with it properly.

yellowcard

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 01, 2022, 06:58:23 PM

He'd have got a 1 game ban if he'd been part of the panel of 26 but he wasn't so there's the difference with McMahon & McKinless.

If a spectator had run on the pitch and committed the offence he'd have got a lot longer then 6 months.

By all reports he's a good lad and considering his injury a 6 month ban suits all parties and the GAA have been seen to have dealt with it properly.

I'm not buying that. There were another dozen or so non playing members involved in the melee who by using that logic were encroaching illegally onto the pitch at a minimum. Yet they weren't suspended. Does the next player found guilty of gouging get a one match ban or a 6 month ban? We are none the wiser and the problem is the inconsistency.

I'm not actually arguing with the length of the ban and you're correct to say that it suits all parties but it just highlights again a disciplinary system that needs overhauling. Until that happens we will rumble on until the next big incident after which yet more hand wringing will occur.

nrico2006

Quote from: seafoid on July 01, 2022, 04:24:04 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on July 01, 2022, 04:19:40 PM
Still can't believe how calm Nugent was when sent-off, it still was only a matter of minutes after he was told in the dressing room.  You would be livid, watched the footage again and kept my eye on him throughout, not one tiny act of aggression out of him.  Same with the Galway FB.
A synchronised sending-off has a different dynamic to an individual one. There was a balance to it on Sunday and no team had an advantage because of it

It doesn't have any different of a dynamic to each of the individuals though and whether someone has an advantage or not is up for debate.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Orior

In every club and county there are hotheads and there are calm thinkers. Tiernan never gave me the impression of a hothead. But c'est la vie. Game over. Move on.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

seafoid

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 01, 2022, 07:24:03 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 01, 2022, 04:24:04 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on July 01, 2022, 04:19:40 PM
Still can't believe how calm Nugent was when sent-off, it still was only a matter of minutes after he was told in the dressing room.  You would be livid, watched the footage again and kept my eye on him throughout, not one tiny act of aggression out of him.  Same with the Galway FB.
A synchronised sending-off has a different dynamic to an individual one. There was a balance to it on Sunday and no team had an advantage because of it

It doesn't have any different of a dynamic to each of the individuals though and whether someone has an advantage or not is up for debate.
If just the Armagh victim had been sent off, the game would have been totally different. The GAA needs to start thinking about in-game governance for melees. It's literally a free for all at the moment.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Wildweasel74

Kicking someone in the shin off the ball used to be a 3 month suspension yrs ago, aka Tommy Carr on Brian Murray. Gouging or stamping on head, neck etc you think should be a standard  6 month suspension. Some man need properly write out the rule book. With a failed appeals doubled,

tonto1888

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 01, 2022, 06:58:23 PM

A agree with the last sentence but why do people keep bringing up if a spectator done it? TK wasn't a spectator and he didn't just run on to the pitch

galwayman

What number was the third Armagh player to be sanctioned wearing (aside from Kelly and Nugent)?
The number 27 I assume was it?

delgany

Quote from: galwayman on July 01, 2022, 08:27:31 PM
What number was the third Armagh player to be sanctioned wearing (aside from Kelly and Nugent)?
The number 27 I assume was it?

16 - sub keeper Hughes ???

imtommygunn

Sean Kelly cleared.

Was the third Armagh player not turbitt who scored the second goal? I thought 22 or 23? (If that was him)