Armagh v Tyrone [Athletic Grounds, Sun 5th June, 1.30]

Started by tiempo, May 23, 2022, 09:41:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mackers

Wonder where the Tyrone posters who said we only beat them in the league because we were ahead in our conditioning are tonight?  Thoroughly deserved victory today. We returned to using a lot more direct ball today and using our strengths.  It makes the performance in Ballybofey all the more disappointing. Not that I would take any other opposition for granted but we REALLY don't want Donegal next week.  Are the games at a neutral venue or are the beaten finalists guaranteed a home draw?
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Mikhailov

Quote from: greatpoint on June 05, 2022, 06:23:43 PM
Quote from: Eire90 on June 05, 2022, 05:47:14 PM
has the reigning all ireland champiions ever been dumped out after only two games since backdoor system was introduced.3 games i forgot fermanagh game they played.

Can't remember the last time the All-Ireland winners didn't reach their provincial final the following year.

The previous AI winners are not playing in USFC every year, otherwise this would happen more often.

tonto1888

Quote from: square_ball on June 05, 2022, 08:35:03 PM
Not that it matters now but what was the Donnelly black card for? Sunday Game have it on twitter but of course it's geoblocked  ::)

He pulled back Crealy. It was harsh

Mikhailov

Quote from: tonto1888 on June 05, 2022, 08:54:18 PM
Quote from: square_ball on June 05, 2022, 08:35:03 PM
Not that it matters now but what was the Donnelly black card for? Sunday Game have it on twitter but of course it's geoblocked  ::)

He pulled back Crealy. It was harsh

It was very harsh to ge honest. Barely touched creally but it was the linesman who called it. Also felt Rafferty was very lucky to escape a card the time he lost the ball in the middle third that gave Tyrone the goal chance but no arguments Armagh were fully deserving winners and could have won by more

Very impressed with Rafferty, Morgan and Soupy Campbell. Grugan was decent but I actually think he is the player that makes Armagh click - a real quality player who always seems to make the right decision every time he is on the ball. Best wishes going forward in the AI series.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: seafoid on June 05, 2022, 06:45:56 PM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/feargal-logan-and-brian-dooher-bask-in-the-glow-of-all-ireland-success-1.4671709

The question I would say is: why do you have to wait a year or two," explained Dooher before the team departed Croke Park on Saturday evening.
"You only get one chance and you make the most of it whenever you can. Let's face it, we had the rub of the green at times and we needed it. Particularly the semi-final, when we used up a right bit of luck. And today, too, we used up a right bit of it. But the way we look at it is: don't wait until tomorrow. You know, do what you can today. And don't put off anything that you can do today. And them boys did that. You never know. You might never be back again in an All-Ireland final. And you have to grasp that opportunity."

I remember reading that after the final and thinking he was right. God only knows when Mayo will be back in a final. Could be this year (highly unlikely) or we could be waiting for ages i.e. 1951-1989 scenario. Carpe diem and Tyrone seized the day last year.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Mikhailov

Any update on how the young lad mackin is?

Hopefully all is ok

pbat

Shane O'Neill's
@shaneoneillsgfc
Following the incident involving our own
@cmackin22
in the
@Armagh_GAA
game today we are delighted to say that Connaire is home from hospital and will be taking it easy for the next few days

thewobbler

That was impressive from Armagh.

I've always had doubts about the cult of McGeeney but he had them motivated and well organised today. Didn't think Soupy had a full 70 mins in him like that, but he had and more, and Rian looked like a lord during his cameo at midfield. Jarly Og might have busted his GPS.

Would love somehow Armagh and Mayo stay in it long enough to meet each other. Would be a game for the purists if ever there was one.

Tyrone played like a team who weren't sure if they wanted a long summer. They'll be back harder than ever next season. That we can be sure.

Norf Tyrone

Armagh the better side and taking nothing from them.
Curious there is not more talk of Nugent raising his hand to Teague early on. It looked, albeit there was no replay, a red card?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

seafoid

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 05, 2022, 09:03:43 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 05, 2022, 06:45:56 PM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/feargal-logan-and-brian-dooher-bask-in-the-glow-of-all-ireland-success-1.4671709

The question I would say is: why do you have to wait a year or two," explained Dooher before the team departed Croke Park on Saturday evening.
"You only get one chance and you make the most of it whenever you can. Let's face it, we had the rub of the green at times and we needed it. Particularly the semi-final, when we used up a right bit of luck. And today, too, we used up a right bit of it. But the way we look at it is: don't wait until tomorrow. You know, do what you can today. And don't put off anything that you can do today. And them boys did that. You never know. You might never be back again in an All-Ireland final. And you have to grasp that opportunity."

I remember reading that after the final and thinking he was right. God only knows when Mayo will be back in a final. Could be this year (highly unlikely) or we could be waiting for ages i.e. 1951-1989 scenario. Carpe diem and Tyrone seized the day last year.
He was really on the ball. They are very quotable. That bit would make a great song. Maybe Fleetwood Mac could do the music.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Under Lights

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on June 05, 2022, 09:31:11 PM
Curious there is not more talk of Nugent raising his hand to Teague early on. It looked, albeit there was no replay, a red card?

Said the same, considering Kennedy got the red for something on same level.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Congratulations to Armagh, well deserved winners. Tyrone unfortunately a pale shadow of the team of last summer. The hope was that after a very mixed season that the Derry defeat might have focused minds a bit. Despite the early goal however it soon became clear that wasn't the case, with Tyrone looking like a collection of individuals rather than a team. A disaster of a season really, started badly and never really got going at all.

Think it was more of a must win for Armagh. However much a wasted season it has been for Tyrone, they got to the top of the mountain last year. Armagh under McGeeney have had a lot of false dawns and he probably couldn't afford to lose today. Be interesting now to see if they can build on this.

Under Lights

tyrone08

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on June 05, 2022, 09:31:11 PM
lol  I thought exactly the same. It was a slap to the head, not saying there was a whole lot in it but it was the same as the Kennedy one which got him sent off

tiempo

Quote from: Under Lights on June 05, 2022, 10:22:24 PM
Tyrone lost 3 times to Armagh this year

Never in the history of the GAA has a team won the All-Ireland 4 times in the one year, history beckons!

Naw in all seriousness, good luck to Armagh and all the remaining Ulster teams in both Sam and Tailteann.