Armagh v Tyrone [Athletic Grounds, Sun 5th June, 1.30]

Started by tiempo, May 23, 2022, 09:41:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1888

McCurry scored 7 today. 4 were from frees. He missed a couple too. This Tyrone couldn't buy a free talk is just that. Talk

Was at the game and had to say it looked like goldrick wasn't giving Tyrone much, that being said it wasn't the winning or losing of the game, Tyrone tactics were awful, played safe football at all times and kickout strategy seemed to be non-existent. Armagh had a more attacking brand of football and weren't afraid to take risks and it paid off, would like to see them kick on now and do a bit of damage in the AI series.

J70

Quote from: tonto1888 on June 05, 2022, 05:32:22 PM
McCurry scored 7 today. 4 were from frees. He missed a couple too. This Tyrone couldn't buy a free talk is just that. Talk

It's the cross they carry, year in, year out. ::)

Eire90

has the reigning all ireland champiions ever been dumped out after only two games since backdoor system was introduced.3 games i forgot fermanagh game they played.

tyrone08

Tell the commentators that. They are the ones who said it

tonto1888

Quote from: tyrone08 on June 05, 2022, 05:51:17 PM

Give the commentators the stats

tyroneman

Quote from: Eire90 on June 05, 2022, 05:47:14 PM
has the reigning all ireland champiions ever been dumped out after only two games since backdoor system was introduc
ed.3 games i forgot fermanagh game they played.

2006 Tyrone beat by Derry ,won against Louth, put out by Laois. Took attempts to beat Louth, so 4 games.

We are just not good at defending All Ireland titles.

bennydorano

I've never been a big pusher of the line that Tyrone are divers but Coldrick wasn't buying what they were selling today. No doubt some genuine mistakes were made but there was some serious diving going on today.

armaghniac

Quote from: tyrone08 on June 05, 2022, 05:51:17 PM

They probably felt sorry for Tyrone.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Blowitupref

Quote from: tyroneman on June 05, 2022, 05:52:35 PM
has the reigning all ireland champiions ever been dumped out after only two games since backdoor system was introduc

2006 Tyrone beat by Derry ,won against Louth, put out by Laois. Took attempts to beat Louth, so 4 games.

And Kerry seem to always win it when Tyrone are unable to defend the title.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

HokeyPokey

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 05, 2022, 05:59:55 PM
Quote from: tyroneman on June 05, 2022, 05:52:35 PM

And Kerry seem to always win it when Tyrone are unable to defend the title.

Kerry always seem to lose close finals too. They either win easy or lose.

Armaghtothebone

On the weekend that is in it, with all going on away from the pitch, not here to gloat or poke fun/troll

On the day we were marginally better and Tyrone were poor.

All this crack about winning a poor All Ireland, I'd take a second one if we beat Kilkenny in a replay to win it.

You won it. You deserved it. You enjoyed it.

Thought all fans showed immense class, during the 2 rounds of applause.

Many things divide us but much much more unites us.

greatpoint

has the reigning all ireland champiions ever been dumped out after only two games since backdoor system was introduced.3 games i forgot fermanagh game they played.

Can't remember the last time the All-Ireland winners didn't reach their provincial final the following year.

yellowcard

One noticeable thing from this season is that Armagh are not conceding anywhere near the same amount of scoreable free kicks and today was no different. I thought their tackling was generally very good and they turned over Tyrone successfully on several occasions. After the opening goal, apart from the time Rafferty was dispossessed I can't really remember another time during the match when the Armagh defence was breached for goal. Also rather surprisingly, the Armagh bench made a much bigger contribution in comparision to Tyrone. Turbitt scored a good point and Murnin made an excellent cameo offering another out ball in that last 10 minutes. 

For Tyrone I thought Morgan, Donnelly and Harte were all poor today. Donnelly and Harte in particular were great servants to Tyrone but I'd expect them to finish up now that they have won an AI title. Donnelly whether through injury or not seems to have lost a lot of mobility and his game was based largely on physicality and running power. Maybe Morgan might hang on a while given the fact that he is a goalkeeper. Much bigger issues for them are the form of McKenna and McShane who has not been the same player since he was given the big package deal a few years back. McGeary has also regressed this season for whatever reason. It could well be the case that Dooher and Logan might step aside themselves. They probably won an AI unexpectedly last year and can still leave as a massive success. It's hard for 2 men with full time jobs to give the necessary commitment needed at county level for a long sustained period.

I really don't get where the Tyrone complaints about the referee are coming from, I thought Coldrick was excellent and allowed the game to flow as much as he could.

grounded

Armagh looked the part. I thought as well as Campbell and rafferty,  that James Morgan was outstanding. Murnin is a handful as well and a great impact sub. They're definitely a whole lot better than I thought, with Tyrone being a whole lot worse.