Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clarshack

Biggest mistake was the team holiday at the end of 2021, with the split season teams need to be coming flying out of the traps in January from now on.
Not sure though when teams should take their holiday if they win the all-ireland going forward or maybe it might be better to give vouchers for individual holidays.

RedHand88

Quote from: clarshack on June 10, 2022, 12:59:25 PM
Biggest mistake was the team holiday at the end of 2021, with the split season teams need to be coming flying out of the traps in January from now on.
Not sure though when teams should take their holiday if they win the all-ireland going forward or maybe it might be better to give vouchers for individual holidays.

It was 2 weeks and they had training sessions whilst on holiday.

When does it end???

rrhf

Quote from: tyrone08 on June 10, 2022, 12:36:43 PM
Quote from: Under Lights on June 10, 2022, 12:33:50 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on June 10, 2022, 10:59:26 AM
https://twitter.com/sheikhbarabas/status/1535189665103462401?t=jtvMUu4xdKi0q8Jz-xnDbQ&s=19

This goes to show you how good a job Mickey Harte done over the last 10 years, might not have been everyone's cup of tea but to finish one point behind Kerry and ahead of Mayo (considering their significantly weaker provincial games) is a serious achievement.

Thoughts STG?

Fantastic manager.

From talking to many throughout the county the jury is firmly out on the current management team and all eyes will be on them ahead of next year.
Lack of game plan, failure to fully analysis opposition were remarks I have heard but then you hear of throw in analysis so God know where the truth is.

Mickey was a great manager but his time to set aside came and gone. Tyrone struggled under him to beat Kerry or mayo. New management have done that. They have had 1 bad year let's judge them in a few years time.

Mickey issue was his refusal to accept his playing style was not working which is why tyrone always failed at the final hurdle.
cant believe we are questioning the managers. boys had not the appetite or form this year, that can lead to discipline, rows or non performance but its important we recognise that the same players who were setting up and scoring goals in all ireland semis and finals last year, were not capable of it this year.  I believe it is a blip.  Understandable because they put everything on it 8 months before. No one should be having a go imo because as a group what they all achieved was incredible. 

trailer

https://twitter.com/sheikhbarabas/status/1535189665103462401?t=jtvMUu4xdKi0q8Jz-xnDbQ&s=19

This goes to show you how good a job Mickey Harte done over the last 10 years, might not have been everyone's cup of tea but to finish one point behind Kerry and ahead of Mayo (considering their significantly weaker provincial games) is a serious achievement.

Thoughts STG?

Fantastic manager.

From talking to many throughout the county the jury is firmly out on the current management team and all eyes will be on them ahead of next year.
Lack of game plan, failure to fully analysis opposition were remarks I have heard but then you hear of throw in analysis so God know where the truth is.

Mickey was a great manager but his time to set aside came and gone. Tyrone struggled under him to beat Kerry or mayo. New management have done that. They have had 1 bad year let's judge them in a few years time.

Mickey issue was his refusal to accept his playing style was not working which is why tyrone always failed at the final hurdle.

Mickey was a yesterdays man. And he didn't "struggle to beat Kerry or Mayo" he simply didn't. Being free of his idiocy empowered Tyrone. Kieran McGeary won POTY. McCurry was rejuvenated. We finally won a 4th All Ireland with a far more limited team that Mickey ever had. Mickey stifled Tyrone football. And while 2021 was a great year it will take probably 5-10 years to fully rid us of the damage Mickey inflicted on us. 2022 is a legacy of Mickey. Logan and Dooher need more time, a lot more time.

tiempo

Quote from: RedHand88 on June 10, 2022, 01:07:01 PM
Quote from: clarshack on June 10, 2022, 12:59:25 PM

It was 2 weeks and they had training sessions whilst on holiday.

When does it end???

Yep, there has to be time to let lads decompress, head back to their own clubs/communities to touch base and remind them who helped get them where they are and who they're likely doing it for to some extent. Even maybe a dose of hard reality or an arm round the shoulder. The elite bubble and regimented approach is as stifling in a negative sense, comparatively, to what the S&C and nutrition is meant to give you as a positive edge at the other end of the spectrum.

All told the lads had to wait 5 weeks for a competitive game, so there was no getting it out of the system, for those who didn't feature against Fermanagh, Derry or Armagh, they'll be what 12 weeks or more without a competitive game some of them?

The GPA expense monkey/training game fodder needs to be tackled. There's more to life than county training, training camps, training gear, mileage allowance and protein intake/KG of muscle mass.

trueblue1234

Quote from: trailer on June 10, 2022, 02:47:02 PM

Thoughts STG?

Fantastic manager.

Mickey was a yesterdays man. And he didn't "struggle to beat Kerry or Mayo" he simply didn't. Being free of his idiocy empowered Tyrone. Kieran McGeary won POTY. McCurry was rejuvenated. We finally won a 4th All Ireland with a far more limited team that Mickey ever had. Mickey stifled Tyrone football. And while 2021 was a great year it will take probably 5-10 years to fully rid us of the damage Mickey inflicted on us. 2022 is a legacy of Mickey. Logan and Dooher need more time, a lot more time.

Mickeys legacy was the 4th AI. Unfortunately I think we are slowly seeing the the last kicks from his time dying out. Wasn't many seasons under Mickey as short. I really hope Logan and Dooher pull it together next year again. But the cynic in me says we were lucky last year. Hope I'm wrong tho. Another bad season next year and the wolves will be at the door.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

MC

[/quote]

That's extremely harsh judgement on what Harte achieved with Tyrone.
Last 38 games show Tyrone in a League Table place of third overall - that's during Mickey's lean years to put it in greater context!
I think a lot of people would acknowledge the players he had available during that period were not quite at the level of the Noughties.
He had to be fairly inventive with his tactics to counter stronger teams and counter developing tactics from others.
Regardless of Mayo and Kerry in a few games, they lost to a peak Dublin in a semi-final and a final - at a time when no-one else could beat them.

The team that won the 2021 All-Ireland were as much a reflection of Harte as Logan & Dooher.
If Logan & Dooher have a similar record over 3, 5, 10, 15 years, or whatever their tenure, I would also consider it a great achievement.
I'd agree they need a lot more time before they can be properly judged - but this year has been a disappointment.

tyrone08

Quote from: trueblue1234 on June 10, 2022, 03:23:12 PM

Thoughts STG?

Fantastic manager.

Mickeys legacy was the 4th AI. Unfortunately I think we are slowly seeing the the last kicks from his time dying out. Wasn't many seasons under Mickey as short. I really hope Logan and Dooher pull it together next year again. But the cynic in me says we were lucky last year. Hope I'm wrong tho. Another bad season next year and the wolves will be at the door.

An argument could been made that his first AI was a result of Arts legacy.

Can't believe people are questioning new management already. 2 years in charge and stayed in division one both times, won ulster and won the all ireland.

Mickey wasn't judged after the failure in 2004 to win back to backs so let's give the guys a bit of time.

trueblue1234

Quote from: tyrone08 on June 10, 2022, 05:21:44 PM

Thoughts STG?

Fantastic manager.

Can't believe people are questioning new management already. 2 years in charge and stayed in division one both times, won ulster and won the all ireland.

Mickey wasn't judged after the failure in 2004 to win back to backs so let's give the guys a bit of time.

Yeah that argument could be made. Though I think the fact Mickey had managed some through underage was an impact as well.
Mickey won the AI again in 05. If Dooher and Logan do the same or at least get us close again I'm sure people won't be baying for blood. But if it's another early exit then I think people will start asking questions.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Under Lights

Thoughts STG?

Fantastic manager.

[/quote

You nean the year his captain passed away?

HokeyPokey

Mickey is gone now and won't be back, so no point going back over old ground. It was apparent that he did have blindspots and he trusted the current team a lot less, especially the forwards. Tyrone were well able to beat most teams and compete with he best sometimes, but the lack of trust and conservative tactics always seemed to stop us from getting over the line in the biggest games. Some of it was luck maybe, that luck seemed to be there last year, but you also had McCurry become one of the best forwards in the country where he had never looked anywhere near that under Harte.

Things didn't fall right this year and it just didn't seem to get going, we shouldn't dwell on it. I think the team and management should be allowed time to decompress and then figure out what was wrong and what the plan is going forward. Fully expect that we will come back next year and if not, questions may then need to be asked.

tyrone08

Quote from: Under Lights on June 10, 2022, 07:00:41 PM

Thoughts STG?

Fantastic manager.

[/quote

You nean the year his captain passed away?

Yes 2004 was different but the fact still remains. Again not too many were questioning him in 2006,2007,2009,2010 etc etc when he failed yet the current management is being questioned after 1 poor year.

Another question could be asked was it mickey that won those AIs or the players? As when that 2003-2008 grouo passed on tyrone won no AIs. However dooher and Co were able to take a mickey team which couldn't win and AI and win it.

sam03/05

If your argument is that Mickey developed the 03 team at u21 level etc
Then you must apply that same logic to the current management - who won an u21 title with many of the team from last year.

Quote from: HokeyPokey on June 10, 2022, 07:38:03 PM
Mickey is gone now and won't be back, so no point going back over old ground. It was apparent that he did have blindspots and he trusted the current team a lot less, especially the forwards. Tyrone were well able to beat most teams and compete with he best sometimes, but the lack of trust and conservative tactics always seemed to stop us from getting over the line in the biggest games. Some of it was luck maybe, that luck seemed to be there last year, but you also had McCurry become one of the best forwards in the country where he had never looked anywhere near that under Harte.

Things didn't fall right this year and it just didn't seem to get going, we shouldn't dwell on it. I think the team and management should be allowed time to decompress and then figure out what was wrong and what the plan is going forward. Fully expect that we will come back next year and if not, questions may then need to be asked.

southtyronegael

Lads Harte is finished, he gone. Don't forget 2006 season under Harte was a carbon copy of this year. This management team and players will push very close to an all Ireland next year trust me.

nrico2006

Quote from: southtyronegael on June 11, 2022, 08:52:25 PM
Lads Harte is finished, he gone. Don't forget 2006 season under Harte was a carbon copy of this year. This management team and players will push very close to an all Ireland next year trust me.

No way. 2006 was the worst year we ever had with bad injuries to key players, easy to forget that now.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'