The untapped global potential of Gaelic games

Started by Eamonnca1, February 27, 2014, 06:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

thejuice

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Jinxy

+1
Beautifully filmed and presented.
This just further convinces me that RTE's coverage is pretty lazy and unimaginative.
They make a small bit of an effort on All-Ireland final day but in general I think they could do so much more.
I don't even know what the narrator is saying, but if I was a Brazilian watching this I would think that gaelic football looks like a hell of a sport.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

thejuice

I imagine though the game is taken from RTE footage.

I'm not sure about the footage from the youth training, farms and pubs.

But its all about how its put together and RTE could definitely do better.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Jinxy

If RTE gave them the footage and never used it themselves, that's even worse.
They should do a review of the year, every year, using high quality material like this.
A bit like 'Final Words'.
Get the players involved to talk over the footage.

Eamonnca1

RTE wouldn't have a clue how to present the game to first-time viewers. Same goes for a lot of the GAA's top brass.

Eamonnca1

Although to give credit where due, RTE has been getting better at producing nice segments like this which are very handy for international promoters like myself.

Eamonnca1

QuoteThe [South Africa Gaels] club was founded in 2010 by Paul Carpenter, an English native who first played Gaelic football while living in Singapore. Many of the team have not travelled further than their nearest city, and for all involved it is a first trip abroad.

Full story: Vincents to host visit of S. Africa's first GAA team

Very similar to how soccer first spread into continental Europe. The English might have been first to write down the rules of the game, but it was non-English early adopters of the game who started some of the iconic European clubs. My book tells that story in more detail.

Eamonnca1

Some great pictures of that South African team training here. http://www.thescore.ie/south-african-gaa-team-train-ucd-ballyboden-1376265-Mar2014/

I'd say they wouldn't be used to that climate. Jerseys look the part though.

Jinxy

Nice gesture from Carlow to give them a lend of some gear.

Eamonnca1

Liam O'Neill is sounding more and more like a man who has read my book.  (I gave him an advance copy when he was in Cleveland last year.)
O'Neill says GAA could look for Olympic status

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Ireland's Olympic medal haul could be on the verge of multiplying, in the medium to long-term at least, if ambitious plans to introduce Gaelic games to the official list of included sports comes to pass.
By Paul Keane
GAA President Liam O'Neill believes plans already in the pipeline to initiate a World Cup of Gaelic games 'would be a stepping stone to that

The idea may come across as fanciful, though anyone who attended yesterday's intriguing and colourful launch of South Africa's GAA grassroots development programme at Croke Park sensed the potential.

Around a dozen South Africans broke into song, joining President O'Neill in an impromptu dance, as a mark of gratitude for the support they have received from the Association in developing the game locally.

The GAA's long-term goal is for teams from all five continents to supply teams for a World Cup of Gaelic games with O'Neill agreeing that a logical next step would be to seek official Olympic status for our national games. ....

Full story

Eamonnca1

Well this suddenly became topical, didn't it?

Eamonnca1

thejuice

Pity they didn't include footage of championship hurling to give the audience a flavour of the game at the highest level. Watching that french report you couldn't make out what a proper game would be like.