Three Hours of Sunlight Per Day Ulster Senior Football Club Championship 2013

Started by drici, February 17, 2013, 05:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DennistheMenace

Quote from: LeoMc on November 19, 2013, 11:40:26 AM
Quote from: DennistheMenace on November 19, 2013, 10:34:22 AM
Quote from: EC Unique on November 19, 2013, 10:17:24 AM
Quote from: EC Unique on November 03, 2013, 04:51:06 PM
Ballinderry looking good for Ulster I think.

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on November 03, 2013, 04:55:59 PM
On what are you basing this?  Have you seen all the other teams play?  Have you even seen Ballinderry play?

Lets just call it a hunch! ;)

You've changed your tune..

Quote from: EC Unique on October 14, 2013, 11:15:13 AM
[Ballinderry will need to have improved a lot from last year if they are to beat Clonoe out the gate. Errigal beat them last year in a close enough affair and I can tell you that Clone of 2013 are every bit as good as Errigal of 2012 and maybe even a bit better.

On the 14th October I thought it would be a Cross v St Galls final. Based on games seen and performances since that date I have changed my opinion also.

Fair enough, I never thought Cross would get there this year. Having seem Ballinderry play this year several times, they will take some stopping. St Galls I only seen in their final v Cargin and they aren't near the force they once were.

LeoMc

Quote from: DennistheMenace on November 19, 2013, 11:52:26 AM
Quote from: LeoMc on November 19, 2013, 11:40:26 AM

On what are you basing this?  Have you seen all the other teams play?  Have you even seen Ballinderry play?

[Ballinderry will need to have improved a lot from last year if they are to beat Clonoe out the gate. Errigal beat them last year in a close enough affair and I can tell you that Clone of 2013 are every bit as good as Errigal of 2012 and maybe even a bit better.

On the 14th October I thought it would be a Cross v St Galls final. Based on games seen and performances since that date I have changed my opinion also.

Fair enough, I never thought Cross would get there this year. Having seem Ballinderry play this year several times, they will take some stopping. St Galls I only seen in their final v Cargin and they aren't near the force they once were.

4 years ago they won an Ulster & All-Ireland with a largely new and unknown team so I was not writing them off even with their missing players.
A left footed kicker they would have beaten Kilcoo the second day out and they have had  the upper hand on the Shamrocks the past couple of years. I don't know how that would have played out in the Ballinderry players heads had they been facing Cross rather than Kilcoo.

I was only latching onto your picking at EC for changing his mind about Ballinderry.

EC Unique

I thought Clonoe would have beaten them and with more than a 6 day break they might have. After they beat Clonoe I then fancied them to win Ulster and at 6-1 I put my money where my mouth is.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Orior on November 18, 2013, 08:00:21 PM
With Kilcoo getting beat, what does that say about Crossmaglen?

Ach, I wouldn't read too much into it.

It was plain after 5 mins that fatigue and injuries from the two extra time games v Cross was an overbearing factor in the game.

i usse an speelchekor

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on November 19, 2013, 01:21:37 PM
Quote from: Orior on November 18, 2013, 08:00:21 PM
With Kilcoo getting beat, what does that say about Crossmaglen?

Ach, I wouldn't read too much into it.

It was plain after 5 mins that fatigue and injuries from the two extra time games v Cross was an overbearing factor in the game.

So although they beat us, ultimately in the end up we beat them?  Maybe they should leave Seamus McFerran where he is then? ;)

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 19, 2013, 01:34:21 PM
So although they beat us, ultimately in the end up we beat them? 

I would expect had the roles been reversed, the same end result would have occurred.

In a game between any of the three teams, with a fit and rested squad, I wouldn't be putting down much money.
i usse an speelchekor

DoYerJob Linesman

If it is believed that Ballinderry had an advantage over kilcoo owing to the extra weeks rest, I would argue that this advantage was earned.  We won a tight game with Scotstown, something Kilcoo couldn't do in their game with Cross.  This gave us the extra week.

If anyone should have complaint it would be Clonoe.  Owing to their countys inability to get their championship finished, we had extra rest compared to them for the preliminary game.

17/03/02 - Semple Stadium Thurles - Heaven On Earth

J OGorman

Fatigue my hoop..its an hour of football lads, not an full iron man ! A weeks rest should be plenty

Milltown Row2

Quote from: J OGorman on November 19, 2013, 08:52:16 PM
Fatigue my hoop..its an hour of football lads, not an full iron man ! A weeks rest should be plenty

Factor in hard hits, mental fatigue, heavy legs, physical work that some of the players may also have to do, farming !! Flip there could be a stack of reasons to be burnt out, but I'm sure they would change the opportunity of getting to another Ulster final and beating Cross along the way
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Throw ball

I see Gaelic Life reporting Jamie Clarke is back in Ireland. A few weeks too late for Cross.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: DoYerJob Linesman on November 19, 2013, 07:54:42 PM
If it is believed that Ballinderry had an advantage over kilcoo owing to the extra weeks rest, I would argue that this advantage was earned. 

Here, not saying Ballinderry didn't fully deserve to win or that anything was unfair about Sunday; we had Cross beat twice in normal time and contrived to nearly throw it away both times.

Just saying I wouldn't read too much into the game on Sunday with regards the respective strengths of each of the three teams. Fatigue meant it was always a mismatch.

i usse an speelchekor

nrico2006

I have never had any bother playing games one week after another, never experienced 'fatigue' either.  I think that this is a contagious excuse/term that seems to have seeped into peoples heads the past few years with reagrds to hurling and football. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: nrico2006 on November 20, 2013, 08:25:09 AM
I have never had any bother playing games one week after another, never experienced 'fatigue' either.  I think that this is a contagious excuse/term that seems to have seeped into peoples heads the past few years with reagrds to hurling and football.

I know what you mean, I recall one of the years we won the Ulster we played 5 weeks on the trot, think it was 1999 and Armagh had been in the AI semi that year.  The difference though is that the conditioning of the players is at a whole new level now and the hits they are taking are consistently harder than we suffered.  The bodies are finding it harder to recover, I watch the training now and it is at a much greater pace than I ever saw. 

nrico2006

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 20, 2013, 08:45:03 AM

I know what you mean, I recall one of the years we won the Ulster we played 5 weeks on the trot, think it was 1999 and Armagh had been in the AI semi that year.  The difference though is that the conditioning of the players is at a whole new level now and the hits they are taking are consistently harder than we suffered.  The bodies are finding it harder to recover, I watch the training now and it is at a much greater pace than I ever saw.

Don't get me wrong, some players might suffer if they have picked up knocks that don't get the time to heal but the majority of players should not be overly influenced from the previous weeks game.  If anything, its the intensity of training during the week that will dictate the state of the players on matchday.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

rodney trotter

Quote from: nrico2006 on November 20, 2013, 10:31:11 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 20, 2013, 08:45:03 AM

Don't get me wrong, some players might suffer if they have picked up knocks that don't get the time to heal but the majority of players should not be overly influenced from the previous weeks game.  If anything, its the intensity of training during the week that will dictate the state of the players on matchday.

If a team like Kilcoo played extra time in consecutive weeks they are obviously going to be a bit fatigued.

Most club teams wouldn't go over board in training during the week, as they would have momentum of games. week by week.